Monday, June 17, 2024

A Check-up, A Surgery & Healing...

Tuesday, June 11th, Claude drove me to Kentucky Bone & Joint Surgeons for my 4-week check-up. My appointment was with Greg L. Cowen, PA-C. For follow-up visits you always see a PA but Dr. Sajadi is in the office if there are any questions or concerns. I saw Greg Cowen for my 1-week check-up and was very happy with him. The sling was removed, and I would not need to wear it any longer. I had a concern about the lump at the bottome of my scar. He checked that and assured me all was fine. It is just a part of the process. I was told not to lift anything heavier than a coffee cup. This I found amusing. It is a great standard for almost everyone...but me. I don't drink coffee and rarely have a cup of hot chocolate. But I said nothing and understood the guidelines. I was given a prescription to begin PT and I can do that at Scott County Physical Therapy. An appointment was made to return in two months for one more check on the arm. Before writing this prescription, he checked my range of motion to date. My understanding is my PT will begin with some exercises and, after a while, will progress to strengthening exercises. Good visit and good report.
After this doctor visit, we went to Schlotzsky's for our lunch. Yum!

On the way home, we stopped at Scott County Physical Therapy and made me an appointment for Wednesday, June 19th, to begin my PT. Yeah!!

When we left to go to Lexington, my car's info panel alerted Claude to very low air pressure in the front driver's side tire. When we got home, Claude tried to put air in that tire. As Claude did that, he realized the sensors were telling him the wrong tire that needed air. Ugh. Claude wanted to get the grass cut one more time before his surgery. I called Tire Discounters to see if we needed an appointment. He assured me we could simply walk-in. Great. Claude cut the front yard. The we drove to Tire Discounters. They had us in and out in a few minutes. No charge as we purchased the tires from them. They made sure the sensors were set correctly for each tire. Hallelujah!

Andie was picking up Bailey at a Leadership Camp she was attending. They came to the house and spent the night. We had pizzas for dinner and settled in for the evening. 

Wednesday, June 12th, Andie, Claude and I were up early to take Claude to Lexington for his Moh's surgery with Dr. Renzi. I can begin driving as soon as I feel safe. Right now, neither Claude or I feel safe. I can't raise my right arm without using my left hand. Claude could have driven himself down but we weren't sure how extensive the surgery would be or what the bandaging would be for him to see to drive home. Hence, Andie came to our rescue. She drove us down and home. Then she stayed through the day. She and Claude each got a nap. Then Andie and I drove through Jimmy John's for something for dinner for all of us. Andie would leave Bailey to help us until Saturday.

Claude's Moh's surgery went very well. As Claude predicted, Dr. Renzi was able to get this cancer in one cutting, He will have a scar from near his right eye across the bridge of his nose. However, Claude wears glasses and they will cover that up. He was to rest for a week and not do any lifting. So grateful for Dr. Renzi. We are at that point in our lives where all the sun we enjoyed as teens and twenty's is coming back as cancers that need to be removed. I am sure we will see him again. He is such a good surgeon for these kinds of things. 
Andie would return home after dinner. She and Michael needed to go to Chicago on Thursday to pick up Hayden from school and bring him and his belongings home for the summer. 

We would start watching the Harry Potter movies with Bailey during her visit. She interspersed them with How I Met Your Mother reruns. 

Thursday, June 13th, we had a nice inside day. Bailey slept in. While she slept, I updated my Blog with the 3rd & 4th Weeks of Recovery. Watched more Harry Potter and How I Met Your Mother. Michael and Andie made the 5-hour drive to DePaul University, gathered Hayden and his things (which he had packed well), and drove the 5-hour return trip to LaGrange. 

Friday, June 14th, More sleeping in by Bailey. More watching of Harry Potter. Taco Bell was our meal of the day. While Bailey was with us, I slept on the sofa in the living room. Sleeping had bee rough with this shoulder. I am not to pull it or push with it. I have to sleep on my back propped up with pillows. This needs to be where I can use my legs to get up and out of bed or the sofa using my left arm as I can. It is truly not a pretty sight to watch me get up from a laying position. I had two of the best night's sleep since my surgery on the sofa in the living room. 

Claude was able to remove his dressing from his surgery. He did swell but he was really good to do the icing of the eye. He didn't look too bad after removing the bandage and cleaning the wound. He had a little black eye but not nearly as bad as we thought it could be. 
Saturday, June 15th, I purchased tickets to see Josh Gates at the Louisville Palace. This was prior to all this should replacement and Moh's surgery activity. I was now not sure we could attend because Claude has to drive and he might not be ready for that. I looked into selling or trading the tickets. After his surgery, Claude said to wait to see how he did because he felt like he would be able to drive. 

Bailey slept in. We went to Sonic to get out meal with her. Then we watched the final two Harry Potter movies. We left our home about 4pm to take Bailey home. We visited the Marx family for a short while, then we headed to Louisville. 

Michael suggested a place for us to eat right by the Louisville Palace, Safier Mediterranean Deli. I enjoyed falafel and Claude had a Greek salad with chicken that was heavily spiced. Delicious meal and it will probably be our go to spot to eat when going to something at the Louisville Palace. Yum!

Josh Gates is an explorer/adventurer who had a show named Expedition Unknown on the Discovery Channel. I love watching Josh Gates. I would equate it to Claude's love of Alton Brown. I truly enjoy a good documentary and Josh follows stories that pique our interest. Lost treasure, hidden cities of the Maya, Egyptian archeology, Antarctica, lost gold, Stonehenge, etc. etc. etc. It was a delight for me to listen to him tell his story and answer questions from the audience. 
As we waited for the show to begin, these travel quotes were displayed on the screen. 
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. ~~ Mark Twain
  • The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land. It is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land. ~~ G. K. Chesterton
  • I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list. ~~ Susan Sontag
  • The journey not the arrival matters. ~~ T. S. Elliott
  • A ship in a harbor is safe...but that is not what ships are built for. ~~ John A. Shedd
  • The world is a book, and those who do not travel have only read one page. ~~ St. Augustine
  • The bad new is time flies. The good news is you are the pilot. ~~ Michael Althsuler
  • A skeptic is someone who hasn't had an experience yet. ~~ Jason Hawes
It was a very nice evening. We got home late and slept in the next morning. These experiences strengthen me but I also become really aware of how weak I am after this surgery recuperation.

Sunday, June 16th, was Father's Day. We opted to let this be the way Claude wanted it to be. We did not attend church. We stayed in and started watching Psych again. Jake called and he and Claude and a really good conversation. Claude decided he wanted ribs and wings for his Father's Day meal. Ribs are cooked on the smoker/grill outside of Kroger. We ventured out to get that. Then later in the evening, we went to Dairy Queen for a bit of ice cream. It was a very low-key day but very enjoyable.

I posted this on Facebook about Father's Day: "What picture to post? I love this one of Claude and me is Kruger National Park on 2019. Why this picture? Because today is Father's Day. From this happy union sprang 3 of the world's best kids. From that we have great son-in-laws and 5 wonderful grandmonsters who have blessed us with more great in-laws. And...6 great grandmonsters. That, my dear Family, is what Father's Day is all about. Happy Father's Day to Claude, my best sidekick and to all our family! We Love Ya Bunches!!"
We very much appreciated the help of Andie and Bailey to get us through the Moh's surgery recovery. Bailey was a delight as she got beverages and ice packs, picked up things and enjoyed the Harry Potter movies. We are now on our own and able to care for ourselves in a guarded way. But we are getting there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment