Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Week Two Without a Sling...

Monday, June 17th, the very hot weather begins with high humidity. Clearly a time for recovering surgery patients to stay inside with a grateful heart for air-conditioning. My goal this day was to do laundry and work some on my laptop. I am happy to report, I accomplished both goals. 

In the evening while watching television, I looked out the back door and spotted a yard full of fireflies. I love these little guys. The light flashes are a product of selecting a mate. They are delightful to watch.
I was happy this day to find I could type now with both hands when using my laptop. I need to be sure my arm stays in the same general location. That muscle or whatever that helps me lift my arm straight up does not work. So. trying to lift my right arm puts a strain on the surgery location that I am not supposed to do at present. But, if I carefully place my arm in the correct position, I can now type on my laptop with both hands. Sooooo much faster!

The other things I could do for the first time since prior to surgery, was file the fingernails on my right hand. They had gotten very long. Using my left hand, I could try to file them but that movement on my right hand sent sharp pains up my right arm. I was able this day to finally file down the fingernails on my right hand. 

These seem like things I wouldn't even give notice too a few months ago. Now, they are steps of healing that give me huge joy. Perspective. Perspective.

Tuesday, June 18th, such a sleepy feel to this day. And a very achy arm. Claude and I did a few things at our respective laptops and then settled in to watch Psych. This was interspersed with two phone calls. I don't get lots of phone call action on my cellphone. That is okay. Betty Dixon called during the afternoon. She has made her move to Iowa and if getting settled in. Very happy to hear she is doing okay. Katelyn Roper, my granddaughter, called in the evening from some input from an older lady. I qualify for that! Very nice chat with KTNickles. 

Wednesday, June 19th, was my first day of physical therapy to get my arm going again. The visit was almost two hours long. They are usually about one hour. This first one they take measurements and figure out the right program for you based on your doctor's orders and your current ability. They moved my arm in careful ways that it hasn't moved for over a month. While it really stretched my use of my arm, it also felt so good to know I can move it that way and it will get better over time. Grateful for Scott County Physical Therapy. Art saw me first and then spread the joy of therapy with some of the other workers. 

Claude did grocery and pharmacy run while I was in PT. When we got home, I iced my shoulder and then took a much-needed nap. 

New PT for home was done in the evening. 

Thursday, June 20th, was a slow day. I even took a nap. Naps have happened more often during recovery from surgery. I am, generally speaking, not a napper. If I nap, there is a greater chance I will not sleep well that night. I have enjoyed my naps during recovery but anticipate they will lessen as I heal. 

I have PT to do at home between sessions at Scott County Physical Therapy. To help with that, I purchased an inexpensive pulley that hangs from the top of a door. My is now attached to the door to the bathroom for guests. I am so happy I purchased this little tool. It really is helping with my arm exercises. 

Friday, June 21st, I had my second PT appointment. It felt so good to have my shoulder move in ways I have taken care not to move it. They put heat on my shoulder for 15 minutes when I arrive. While my shoulder is warming up, I do some exercises with my hand and wrist. When the heat is finished, I do other exercises they have on a list provided by Art, one of the owners. After finishing these exercises, one of the physical therapists does stretching exercises on my shoulder. These can hurt a great deal because they are moving the shoulder joint in ways it hasn't moved for a very longs time (since February 27th). I know they are not moving it in ways it should not be moved but preparing it to move on its on and helping so I can get it to extend further own straight and raise on its own. It is a fascinating process to go through. 

In the late afternoon, Claude determined we should go on a proper dinner date to Olive Garden. It was delightful. We both had all you can eat soup, salad and bread. Well, I had salad and bread while Claude had that and the soup. We both really love Olive Garden salads. Yum!

Saturday, June 22nd, was a nice day at home. Our temperatures have been getting into the 90's with no rain. Hot and very humid. So, a day inside with air-conditioning is not a bad thing. 

I was able to finish my PowerPoint and notes to teach the Relief Society lesson on Sunday. Claude was able to get the backyard cut. It really grows fast. The front yard he cut the over a week ago and it still doesn't need to be cut. 

Sunday, June 23rd, we had the most interesting Sacrament Meeting. We have the sacrament passed every Sunday. We use bread and water. It seems no one brought the bread. Instead of starting with the sacrament after the opening hymn and announcements. We had the first two talks by youth who attended FSY (For the Strength of Youth). Someone ran for bread and returned with a loaf for the sacrament. After the two youth speakers, we sang the sacrament hymn and then the Aaronic Priesthood passed the bread. 

Then everything stopped. Sis. Linares' mother who is in her 90's, passed out on their bench. Fortunately, a doctor was sitting on the row behind and he quickly came around to help, another doctor was there and an EMT that is in or ward were also helping. They were able to get her awake again and helped her walk out to the foyer. She has done this before. It is syncope. The blood pressure drops to nothing and the person passes out. Papa did this many times before his passing. I found this experience very emotional. If felt tears come to the surface as I remembered the time this happened with Papa on our patio. I also thought it moving and profound that it happened during the sacrament while we are thinking about the Savior's Atonement. I am constantly aware of how many times that effects of the Atonement are needed and seen in our lives. After the Linares family left the chapel, the Aaronic Priesthood passed the water. 

After the sacrament, the final three talks were given and we moved to the closing hymn. Our chorister, Sis. Majackey, has the beginnings of Alzheimer's. She still loves to be chorister. When she is there, she goes to the stand and sits to lead each hymn. When she is not there, we have a young woman who is called to come up and fill in for her. Sis. Majackey is far enough along till she forgets what she is to do some of the time. Our organist played the introduction to the closing hymn. This is the cue for Sis. Majackey to stand to lead the hymn. She didn't stand. Elizabeth Christensen, the organist, stopped playing, leaned around to her. A counselor in the bishopric got up and opened her hymnbook so she could see where she was supposed to conduct. Elizabeth played the introduction again and we sang the closing hymn with Sis. Majakey leading. I love that we are trying to help her continue doing things as long as she can. It is a testament of our Father's love for each of His children.

I taught the Relief Society lesson about prayer. It covered three talks from April General Conference: Pres. Jeffrey R. Holland "Motion of a Hidden Fire", Pres. Susan H. Porter "Pray, He Is There", and Elder Taylor G. Godoy "Call, Don't Fall". It was a good thing I had my PowerPoint at the ready as I forgot my notes. Everyone participated well and we had a good lesson and discussion. 

Claude and I enjoyed lunch from Panera. 

In the evening, Emelia did a facetime call with me. So very cute. I answered and said, "Hi". Her first sentence to me was "Where is Grampa?" I explained he was out putting some water on our plants as we had not had any rain. I went outside and found him and he said hi to her. She was happy to see her great Grampa. She wanted to see Sandiland where she sleeps when she visits. I walked back and turned the phone so she could see Sandiland. She was very happy. How neat is it to have great grandparents to talk with? 

Claude would pick his first tomatos of the year. I always took a picture of this when we lived in Sadieville. I asked him to be sure to let me eknow so I could get my picture. I took pictures of the tomato harvest and posted them and some other pictures of our yard on Facebook: "Farmer Claude’s first tomato harvest in Georgetown. More to come from these two plants and 4 slicing tomato plants on the side of the house. It appears rabbits and chipmunks in Georgetown are not nearly as destructive as the deer in Sadieville! A few more pics of our yard this year."
This year we gave up the birdfeeder that hung here. The colorful turtle was given to me by Nissa, our daughter. Each patch has a solar light. The lantern has 3 flickering solar candles. And we gave up our hummingbird feeder. We replaced it with 2 solar flickering candle lanterns.
We had 3 bushes that succumbed to the ice. This year we planted 3 double azalea plants. Isn't that a great color? Please ignore the weeds. Having to wait a little more for healing in my shoulder replacement before I get to weed.
This is my Lucifer plant. I brought these from our home in Sadieville. This unique blossom and color captivated me when I went to Kroger several years ago.
Monday, June 24th, I was able to start my day like I was healthy. It felt so very good. I was up before Claude. I did my PT and iced my shoulder. While I was icing, Claude woke up. I asked if it seemed like a biscuit run day to him. He was happy to hear that. We went to Bojangles and enjoyed our beloved biscuits and soda for breakfast. 

When we returned home, I gathered laundry and started that. Most of that is done with my left arm and I only use my right to help hold things to lay on top of the washer/dryer to fold. 

Then I headed outside with bucket in my left hand to weed. I would get the front flower bed weeded. It took three trips with breaks between, but I got the front bed weeded. The front side bed looks like I am trying to grow a ground cover. That is actually weeds. I will get those but on a day I don't have PT.

I came inside and worked at my laptop while continuing the laundry. Claude got his nap. When he finished, I did my afternoon PT exercises and that was the end of my productivity. But it was great getting that much done. I would have one load of laundry to fold in the evening. Yeah me!!


Tuesday, June 25th, I had my third PT appointment today. Art did the stretching part this time. I asked him how much use he anticipated me having with my right arm after finishing PT. The answer: I should be able to raise my right arm straight over my head to the same degree I can left my left arm. I will never have the same amount of strength in my right arm as in my left arm. So, that is the goal, to be able to lift my right arm on its own over my head like my left arm. Onward!!

I came home and iced my shoulder and rested through two episodes of Planet Earth III. Now I am finishing my Blog. I will work at my laptop until time for afternoon PT and then I will quit for today. Claude and I will spend the evening watching more of the Psych series.

I am going to post a few pictures of my grand and great grands. First, Bailey will be a senior this coming year. Time for senior portraits. These are some Andie took of the process.
Katelyn sent us these pictures of four of our great grandmonsters. The first is the three oldest sitting on their front steps writing or drawing the things they find in their front yard. The second is Kennedi wearing Joel's bucket hat. Aren't bucket hats fun?
The last is our youngest great grandmonsters, Phoebe. She is a healthy little critter.
It has been a good week. I feel progress with my arm. I love that I can write with my right hand for a while. I was able to get the July Relief Society birthday cards all ready to mail. I love that I can shower by myself now. I love that I bought that pulley and it helps so much with my home PT. I love that I can use my right hand and arm and mouse some when working with my laptop. Let's see what this next week brings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment