Thursday, October 1, 2026

The Drive, Day 17 & 18, Sun & Mon, 9-13 & 14, Driving to Utah...

Sunday, September 13th, we started our drive having driven 4,125.5 miles. We left our hotel in Crescent, Oregon at about 9:30am headed to Ontario, Oregon. 

As we drove, I asked Claude why there was a passing lane on a flat highway. You see them all the time as you go up and down mountain roads. Claude's response: "It's for those of us driving the speed limit to let those speeding get around!" Oh My!!

Here are pictures of our drive through Oregon this day. 
I love it when we are in the west and the sagebrush is blooming. Claude pulled over so I could get these three pictures. I immediately made one my phone screen saver.
We changed to Mountain Time in Juntura, Oregon. 

We drove along a creek that changed names three times but still appeared the be the same little creek. 

We drove past a field that had the tops of something green in them. They looked like remains from harvesting corn. Clearly it was not corn. Later we saw a barn with the side painted with a little boy holding up a big onion. That was our answer. These were fields of onions. The tops were cut off and the onions were still in the ground. Amazing. 

We had dinner at The Country Kitchen. Claude and I both ordered the Country Fried Steak. I love this meal and have not ordered it in a long time. It was perfectly done. Melt in your mouth good. 

When we got back to the hotel, I went to their guest laundry to get some clean clothes for us. I read the instructions and followed them carefully. I put the detergent in with the clothes on top. Then I shut the lid and put a quarter into the money slot. It went from $4.00 to $3.75. All was going well until I put the second quarter in. The machine now read it could not take my money. It had 50 cents and would not return it. I gathered up my clothes and headed downstairs to the front desk. The clerk was folding towels. I explained that I had difficulty with their guest laundry. She said, "It didn't work, did it?" What? I assured her it did not and it had 50 cents in it and the bottom was full of detergent. She said I could leave my laundry and she would run it through their washer and dryer and bring it to me after she finished the guest before me that had the same issues with the washer. Why had there not been a sign placed there. I did not leave my laundry. I would do laundry another time.

This evening Aubrey let us know that Nelson had an abscess on his shoulder and was covered in a rash. He was in the hospital in Grand Rapids and the doctors where trying to decide why he had these things and what to do about them. 

Day 18 was Monday, September 14th. We would drive from Ontario, Oregon to Tremonton, Utah. This was a shorter driving day allowing us some time to rest before meeting up with family. We started our day with 4.432.5 miles on the odometer. We left about 9:30am. 
Thanks to 80mph on I-80, we arrived in Tremonton about 1:30pm. 
We were trying to see all our siblings on this trip. We had hoped to see Tami, Claude's sister, and Bill, her hubby, but they had to leave the day before for a trade show in Washington State. We decided to pop into the auto parts store and surprise Joey, their daughter. She was surprised. We got a hug and met Trey, one of her sons. 

It was time to catch up on some chores. Joey told us the best laundromat in town. Claude took me there to get two loads of clothes washed and dried. Claude bought me a Mountain Dew from the vending machine. I was a happy girl. While I did that, he filled the car with gas and took it through the car wash. He got him a soda from a drive-thru. 

While at the laundromat, this popped up on Facebook. Oh my. In preparing for The Drive, I noted that some placed close up shop by September 15th. We were blessed that we got to do all of these wonderful things before things had to shut down. 
With laundry done and a clean, full car, we were ready to check into our hotel. We would stay at The Western this time. This hotel has been in Tremonton since Claude and I were married. That means it is over 56 years old. We got to our room and had the most pleasant surprise. Two recliners in the room. We would enjoy and evening in recliners. Almost like being home.
For dinner, we decided to go to the Bowling Alley. When we married, Bonnie, Claude's mom, and Tami, his sister, were on bowling leagues. We would go to the bowling alley to watch and have a little snack at their little eatery. Over the years this has become a full-blown restaurant in the front of the bowling alley with a door to the bowling alley. Nice to enjoy that bit of history and a good meal. 

We went to Dollar General to replenish our water supply. Then to the hotel room to fold and repack the two suitcases. One would go to the back and not be moved till we got home. The other was the one we would take in with us each of the remaining nights of the trip. 

Nelson was supposed to have had surgery to remove the abscess on his shoulder. That did not happen. They wanted to run more test to determine the type of infection and/or allergy they were dealing with. He was in good spirits. Aubrey was doing well.


















No comments:

Post a Comment