Sunday, August 4, 2024

Another Day Older...

Monday, July 29th, was the day before my 74th birthday. My desire for my birthday was breakfast of Frank's donuts. I don't eat before going to PT and I had PT on Tuesday, my birthday. Hmmm...we decided to celebrate that part of my birthday on Monday instead of Tuesday. We started our Monday with a donut run to Frank's. These are such good donuts. 

During the day, I completed the August Relief Society newsletter and sent it out via eMail and Facebook. I added it to the Relief Society scrapbook. Yeah me!!

During the afternoon, Emelia face-timed Claude and me. How cool is that. To have a great grandmonster choose to call you to share something they found was fun. Unfortunately, she couldn't get that to work on the call, but still, it was cool she knows us and wants to talk with us.

In the evening, Claude suggested we go to Cattleman's Roadhouse for my birthday dinner. As it turns out, we had an event to attend Tuesday evening, so having my birthday dinner on Monday was perfect. Cattleman's has a salmon dish that I LOVE. It was the perfect dinner. Claude had mentioned the day before he was feeling the need for some red meat in his diet. He ordered a nice steak and it was done to perfection. I really like a low-key birthday and this one was perfect. 
Tuesday, July 30th, was my actual 74th birthday. Where did that time go!!?? 

I had PT in the morning. When I finished, I had a text from Jake asking about calling me. I told him I was on my way home from PT. When I got home, he called. The best thing is Jake sang Happy Birthday to me. Now, people can get huge, expensive presents, but when my son sings to me, that is worth so much more. We caught up on his upcoming trip and had a great conversation.

In the afternoon, I received a package at my front door. I opened the package and found the sweetest note and a purple sweatshirt from Nissa. How I love this daughter. She knows her mother very well. It was near 90 degrees outside and I wore my sweatshirt the rest of the afternoon and could feel the love the entire time.
In the evening we went to Lexington to Limestone Hall. Claude worked with Doug Goforth when Claude was president of Kentucky League of Cities. Doug was retiring from KLC and going to be a minister. He is such a good man. It was fun to be there. The two previous presidents of KLC and their wives and the former mayor of Winchester, Kentucky and his wife sat at our table. It was a delight to catch up with these good people. The meal was very good and the presentation was very well done. 

Limestone Hall was a venue we have never been in before. It is the old courthouse in Lexington. Someone purchased it and did extensive renovations. There is a big bar and a restaurant on the first floor. The third floor has been converted into a venue for events such a this retirement party. It was beautiful. This is the ceiling on the third floor. The arches are openings to the fourth floor.
When we got home, the Marx family called and sang Happy Birthday to me. I talked with Bailey, Hayden and then Andie. What a great ending to my birthday. All my family contacted me. Love them!

Wednesday, July 31st, I was particularly grateful that we had rain for three nightes in a row. Nice rains that our ground needs very badly. 

I finalized my Route 66 grid. There will still be things to do but I will let it rest for now. I have started a list of things we need to pack for this long road trip. And, I am collecting some of it in Sandiland. This will be a big trip for us.

Claude made a shepherds pie for dinner that was spectacular. We both enjoyed it very much. 

Thursday, August 1st, I had a good workout at PT. It really wore me out this time. I usually get up after the stretching of my right arm and feel a bit dizzy. I was just wrung out after this one. I came home and iced up and stayed down the rest of this day.

Friday, August 2nd, it was time for the annual mammogram. Didn't appear to be any problems. Should get the actual report in a week to 10 days. No concerns.

Claude wanted my help in preparing a sacrament meeting for August 25th. He is responsible for the music in the ward. The church is preparing a new hymnal and has released several songs that will be in the new book. Claude wanted to do a sacrament meeting about music in our lives and use four of the new hymns as the hymns that Sunday. I played all of the new hymns and he was able to look at the words and listen to the music and make his choices for the new hymns to choose for Sunday, the 25th. 

I was able to extend that pulley rope for my home PT. It has a little clip on it and moving that down gives me about four more inches of rope to help get my right are a little higher. I was also able to change my can of cream of mushroom soup I have been using for two of my arm exercises to a 2-pound weight like they have me using at the office PT. I am progressing. Slowly but getting there.

Saturday, August 3rd, I read a thing on my newsfeed on my cellphone about southern sayings that are misunderstood. I read them to Claude and we really didn't agree with some the author's statements. Having been born and raised in Louisiana, I am southern at heart. I thought how much Claude loves it when the person at the drive-thru windown says, "Thank you, honey." to him. He is a western boy and has come to love that part of southerisms. It's funny that I don't even notice when I say certain things but every now and then, someone will comment and I am reminded I do speak southern. I love this. I hope others love the quirky things they say from their part of the United States. 

I had an eMail from McAlister's. I joined their rewards program so I now get eMail's. This one was for the weekend for a buy one, get one for half-price. Saturday evening, we went to McAlister's. Then we swung by Chick-filA for a peach shake. Another great dinner date for us.

We had a strong rain shower in the early evening. Claude got up and looked out the back door onto the patio. He said, "Sandi, you should come see this." I did.
This little bird was all puffed up like they do when they want to keep warm. He (or she) was standing in a puddle of water with the beak pointed straight up into the rain. This way the rain rolled down the face and the wings to the ground. It did not move at all. I was very concerned it was injured. I started to check Google to see about birds flying with wet wings, etc. I decided to just watch and see what happened. All through the rain, the bird never moved and stood with that beak pointed straight into the sky.

The rain finally stopped and the bird turned its head to the side but stood still for a very long time. According to Google, they sometimes hold out their wings to get them dry before flying again. Nope, the bird did not hold out its wings. After a good while, it did turn to the side. I went back to my chair and could see out the doors window from there. I would turn and check on the bird every now and then.
Finally, I looked one more time and the bird was gone. I missed its flying away. I thought to myself, "What a lesson in weathering the storms of life." This little bird knew to stand with its beak up so the rain could roll of the coating on its feathers. It knew the trial was upon him but he endured it well and in the best way possible. Then it waited until the time was right and he could fly and it took off for a safer place. Sometimes, we all need to follow that little birds example. Stand resolutely through the adversity or difficulty on which we are called to endure. Learn from the trial and then move on to safer ground, a little wiser. I am grateful for the lesson from the little bird.

Sunday, August 4th, was Fast Sunday. That means Claude must be up at 6:30pm to be ready for a 7am Zoom meeting. I set the alarm, get him up, reset the alarm for 9:30am and go back to bed. This morning I slept from 6:30am to 7:30am. Then I got up and did my home PT and iced my shoulder. Claude finished his meeting. I knew he was tired. 6:30am is very early for the aged. I suggested he sit in his recliner and put it back and see if he could get a bit more sleep. We didn't have to begin getting ready for church until 9:30am. He did just that. I realized the value of the recliner as I watched him get those few extra winks before church. 

We had a nice, quick Relief Society presidency meeting. We were surprised when Heidi Barney was released as 2nd Counselor. She will now teach early morning seminary. She will be great at that. Jenessa will have to find another counselor now but we have several new families that give her some possibilities. 

Once home, I did PT and then iced up while Claude took his Sunday nap. He had a Zoom meeting in the evening while I worked on my laptop. In the evening, we watched a little more Northern Exposure. 

Some Family Moments:
First, a recent picture of our 6th great grandmonster, Phoebe. She is growing up quickly. 
Next, Kennedi, our 5th great grandmonster took her first ride on the mechanical horse they call Sandy. She loved it.
Then, our 1st great grandmonster on her last day of summer school. Oh my goodness!! Raelyn Jay Roper, you are amazing.
Bailey is our youngest grandmonster. This her on Senior Sunday in her band uniform. Seniors get to wear a red beret. Yike! She is a senior this year.
Finally, our son, Jake. He has planned, prepared for and gone on a trip to Utah. He presented at the Sunstone Symposium a session on poetry on Friday. He has gotten into hiking. He set a goal to climb Ben Lomond Peak behind Ogden, Utah. Jake went to college at Weber State University. The hike was 8 miles up 3,500 feet of elevation and he did it in 4 hours. Then he had to hike back down the 8 miles. We are so happy he set these goals and took this opportunity. Great job, Jake!! Hope his trip is phenominal.

No comments:

Post a Comment