Saturday, June 21, 2014

A Few Tidbits...

Monday, June 9th, would have been Mimi's 85th birthday.  I picked up Papa and we went to visit her grave site.  Such a pretty spot. We parked and talked for a long time.  There was a funeral in the little chapel in the center.  The men wore little hats that appeared to be Veteran's of Foreign War hats.  At one point I saw some of them leave the back of the chapel with what appeared to be rifles in their hands. They were marching slowly.  Papa suggested we move the car down and see what was going on.  I did that and as we got further down the road I heard gun shots.  Scared me to death.  They were clearly doing a salute at the funeral of an old comrade. I knew that would probably happen but it still scared me to death.  Papa and I then took a ride in the countryside before I took him home.

Tuesday, June 10th, Claude had his first round at getting his dental implant.  It seems my hubby cracked a tooth. The implant was the best option for dealing with it.  So they pulled the tooth and did something to build up the bone.  That will heal and then he will have the next steps done with it being completed by the end of the summer.  He spent Tuesday and Wednesday home resting.  He began to venture out Thursday in the morning and evening. But was able to sleep during the day. We are pleased with how well he has done.

Wednesday, June 11th, was the Mission Zone Conference at the Lexington North Stake Center.  It was our wards (congregation) time to prepare lunch for these missionaries and their mission president.  I volunteered to help.  Here are the six of us enjoying providing this service.  (Front Row: Me, Luella Alcorn, Beverly Wheeler. Back Row: Shannon Parker, Veronica Holt, Jeannie Watson.)

Thursday, June 12th was the funeral of Mindy Hansen's mom.  It was held at the Salvation Army in Georgetown.  Mindy's son is a Lieutenant there and directs that particular center.  It was a very nice service.

Saturday, June 14th, Claude and I were given tickets to attend the Festival of the Bluegrass at the Kentucky Horse Park.  Claude participates on the Trails Alliance Committee. They are working on a horse, bike, hike path that connects from Lexington to Georgetown and eventually, hopefully, Sadieville.  Roy Cornett, a local land owner and business man, is at the head of this effort. He heads up the Festival of the Bluegrass in conjunction with the Festival of the Horse each year.  He put two ticket in Will Call for us to attend the Saturday performance.  The performances began at 1pm and we were there about 12:30pm.  We set up our lawn chairs and found a nice food vendor selling burgers and fresh lemonade.  Lunch in hand we found our chairs still under the tree and settled in for some pickin' and grinnin'.  We listened to three bands play.  The music was excellent.  Couples danced on the grass, hula hoops were twirled, interesting characters were observed.  Claude went and purchased us an funnel cake for dessert.  It was just a great afternoon.  We left to pick up bananas for Papa before heading back to Sadieville to get ready for Church and Father's Day.
 
Sunday, June 15th, was Father's Day. It was nice this year.  Claude visited the Owingsville Ward.  I attended the Georgetown Ward. The Primary kids sang two songs for their fathers.  One was the old stand by "I'm So Glad When Daddy Comes Home".  The other was sung to another Primary songs melody with different words.  They chorus said something about dad's hair turning gray and hoping dad doesn't loose his hair.  Cute moment for the congregation.

After Church, I picked Papa up and brought him and Tiny to Sadieville.  I cooked lasagna for dinner.  It was just a restful afternoon and evening.  I gave Claude and Papa each the same gift.  A gadget to clean the wax out of their ears.  A truly useful and unique gift. Very, very thoughtful of me, don't you think?

Sunday changes were made in my current Primary presidency. My counselors and secretary were released.  Bernie Bolton was called as my 1st counselor, Eliza Fairbanks was called as the 2nd counselor and Amy Coyne was called as the secretary.  And we are off on a grand adventure.

Tuesday, June 17th, Claude had a meeting to go to.  It was our day to serve at the Family History Center.  I invited Papa to go with me in Claude's place.  He was happy to do that.  I had two computers that would not let me log on and one that wouldn't let the lady accomplish what she was trying to do because it wanted to do an upgrade of some software.  I am not authorized to do those upgrades.  We waded through all of those issues okay.  Then Papa and I took some time to go through some of his family history.  I had the notebook I have prepared for his father's side of the family and the other one for his mother's side of the family. I also had the file folder full of handwritten notes I am trying to locate where to put them.  We enjoyed working with that.  I treated Papa to lunch at Culver's before returning him, worn out and happy, to his apartment.

Tuesday evening I met with Bernie Bolton and oriented her a bit.

Wednesday, June 18th, I met with Eliza Fairbanks and oriented her at 1pm.  Then I headed to Papa's to take him to the nursing home to play a DVD for the residents. Claude and I met after that at Ruby Tuesday's for dinner before I headed home and Claude headed to his meeting.  

Thursday, June 19th, was a beautiful day all about me!!  Claude would be gone all day and into the evening with meetings.  I put my Northern Exposure DVD's in and watched them while I did my ironing and cleaned the upstairs in our home.  It was a great day and I totally enjoyed doing work at my pace with good television from my past in the DVD player.  At one point I realized there were no cell phones or tablets in these programs.  It was an interesting a-hah moment.

Friday, June 20th, was my day with Papa.  I had him plot a drive and I provided the chauffeur services.  He kept it simple. We would drive Hwy 460 from Georgetown through Paris and Mt. Sterling to Frenchburg.  At Frenchburg we chose to drive Hwy 77 through the National Park and mountains to the Mountain Parkway. We planned to drive down the Parkway to Hwy 203 and back up to Hwy 460.  Then we would go back to Frenchburg on Hwy 460 and find Hwy 36. Hwy 36 would take us to Owingsville and then on toward Cynthiana.  Before reaching Cynthiana we would catch Hwy 68 back to Paris. In Paris we would get back up on Hwy 460 and head for home.  This route allowed Papa to see mountains, horse farms and crop farms across Kentucky.  It was a good drive. 

Along Hwy 77 we came to a single lane tunnel  through a mountain.  You just put your car in front of the entrance and, if no one was at the other end, you drove on through.  I started through with three vehicles behind me.  Then a guy started through on the other end.  By this time I had another two vehicles behind me and there was no way in heaven I could back out of there.  I put on my bright lights and slowly proceeded forward.  When I reached the on-coming car he just stopped and waited for me to back up.  That was not going to happen with all those cars behind me.  Finally he started to back up and eventually made it out of his end of the tunnel.  I told Papa that was a nice adventure and I never, ever had to do it again.  He agreed whole-heartedly.  

The rain caught up with us in Slade, Kentucky right about the time we were to get on the Mountain Parkway.  Fortunately we stopped at a gas station to take a quick break. Noting the angry clouds rushing toward us I suggested we wait the rain out.  We did before getting on the Mountain Parkway.  The problem was we drove right back into the back side of the storm.  A tree had fallen over the road in the on-coming lane.  So grateful we were not there when that happened.  We got to our exit and got off the Parkway and headed back north toward Hwy 460.  The rain became intense.  We got to a little town and I found a closed down gas station and told Papa we were going to wait it out again. It was no fun driving in that madness.  We waited and eventually got back up on the Hwy 203 and found another tree down on the back road.  A man was trying to cut it up and get it off the road.  Again, grateful we weren't there when it fell. 

The sun came out and we had a beautiful view of the land the rest of the day.  Papa enjoyed his ride and I again left him worn out and happy at his apartment.

Today, Saturday, June 21st, was my day with Claude.  We slept in and then got ready and went to Windy Corner Market.  I heard about this place from a friend.  It is at the corner of two country roads in horse farm country.  Really out in the middle of nowhere.  It does a huge business and was great fun to have lunch at.  Claude checked out the items on the shelves around the dining area.  There was a hot sauce called Sadistic Mistress and the label said, "I Can't Feel My Face".  We will definitely go there again.  

As it turns out this restaurant was connected to a restaurant Claude had dinner at in Midway, Kentucky Thursday evening.  The name is Holly Hill Inn.  So after our lunch we drove to Midway and checked out where Holly Hill Inn was located.  We will definitely dine there together sometime as well.

These two locations have two other locations connected with them to form this family of food places.  One of them is a bakery in Midway.  The other is a restaurant outside of Lexington.  Claude and I checked out the bakery in Midway.  We bought Corn on the Cob Sugar Cookies.  Yep, they take a cob of corn and slice the kernals off with a knife.  Then they are mixed in the sugar cookie dough and baked up.  Not bad.  We also purchased a cinnamon scone and a white chocolate/cranberry scone.  They were delicious as well.

Claude drove us to Frankfort and then home on back roads.  We did stop in Georgetown for a smoothie.   It was a wonderful day with the hubster.

Now I must move on to preparing music for singing time tomorrow as my chorister has decided to take her five children and head to Las Vegas to visit her family.  Life just keeps on moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment