Saturday, August 27, 2016

Marx Madness...

This year Andie will be teaching her own 4th grade class at LaGrange Elementary. There is so much a teachers does from her own pocket and with her own time to get a classroom ready to mold young minds. Their first day of school for her as a teacher and her children as students was Wednesday, August 17th. I suggested to her that I could come Sunday the 14th and stay till Tuesday evening the 16th and be an extra set of hands. I could cover the bases needed with the Mini's and help in any way she might need. Andie was very, very happy with that possibility. 

Sunday, August 14th I took Papa to Church and then took him home and visited with him till 1pm. Then I met Claude for a quick lunch as he returned from Paris, Kentucky. Then I was off, dodging rain storms, to the Marx home. When I arrived I thought Hayden was going to break my ribs with his hugs. That is not a complaint. 

Andie and Michael took this opportunity for a date night. Michael would have to work all day and then referee soccer games all evening Monday and Tuesday. They went to see the new Bourne movie and have dinner together. The Mini's and I ate leftovers at the Marx home. They had a local Church provide food for the faculty at LaGrange Elementary and Andie was asked to take any leftovers home with her. We tried to each some of them.

It was time to get the Mini's back on a school schedule so we had them in bed by 9pm. That was somewhat better than their summer schedule. 

Tuesday, I came downstairs to Michael making sure Hayden had something to eat before going to cross country practice. Pip and Percy were right there. I'm not sure if they wanted to be with Hayden or if they wanted his milk from his cereal. Love this pathetic picture of Percy looking for attention.
Andie dropped Hayden off at cross country practice on her way to her school. Bailey and I picked him up at 9:30 and brought the things he had to decorate his locker to him. Our Hayden is going into Middle School this year. Cannot believe that but it is true. He got his locker decorated and showed Bailey the practice locker so she could try to learn how to operate a combination lock. 
I suggested to the Mini's that we go to Sonic for a refreshing beverage after Hayden's morning run. They were game and we drove to Crestwood and enjoyed slushes. Bailey and I each tried the Pina Colada. Hayden tried some with two add-ins. The boy is all about trying the add-ins.

Then we took Hayden home and Bailey and I went to Walmart to pick up a few things. Each of us was in search of a type of chip we saw on a television commercial. Bailey's was a Greek flavored version and mine was a vegetable flavored Sun Chip. We found Bailey's but did not find the flavor I was looking for. There was a man stocking the chip section that did not work for Walmart. He asked if he could help. We told him what I was looking for. He assured us they didn't carry that a Walmart but we could (he said this in a whisper) find them at Kroger. We got Hayden his favorite flavor, picked up the purchases we really needed that weren't edible and headed back to the Marx home. 

Monday afternoon I did something to help Andie that was not on her list. I brought my weeding clothes and tools. Bailey went out to the front yard with me and was my legs. The hardest thing for me is getting up and down when I weed. Andie's front flower bed was in a really bad way. The grass had grown over the rocks that line the edge and were into the bed, small trees were starting to grow in amongst the plants. I determined I would get that bed weeded for her. Bailey would take my full bags of weeds and put them in the garbage and bring me a new bag so I didn't have to get up. She even brought me water once to rehydrate a bit. I had to pause for a bit when a rain storm came across. But we got the main front bed done and it looked great. Thank heavens for Bailey's help.

I got my shower and rested for a bit. Andie came home and I told her I would take them out for something to eat. Andie declined so she could get some phone calls made but requested we bring her something back. So, the Mini's and I made our pilgrimage to Dairy Queen and enjoyed a very nice meal together. Then we ordered a meal for Andie and headed back to Casa Marx. We spent the evening giving hair cuts and preparing lots of things for Andie's classroom. 

Tuesday morning, Andie was out the door early so I took Hayden to cross country practice. Then Bailey and I picked him up. Hayden and Andie had labeled his binders and folders for school the night before, so we again headed to Hayden's locker to get these items in his locker.  Then it was off to Sonic to rehydrate. This time the Mini's decided they wanted to eat breakfast. Even though it was 10am, Sonic was just opening (the Georgetown Sonic is open 24/7. We were the first in line so we had to wait for them to start their cooking process for the day. Took a bit but the Mini's were only more hungry so that worked to our advantage. They enjoyed breakfast from Sonic. Even said 'thank you'. 

We went back to the Marx home and Bailey wanted to go outside to play. I went out with her and enjoyed the nice day. Bailey found a funny looking caterpillar.
Then I heard the neighbor that lives behind them calling for Bailey to come quick. She had been out mowing their grass with a push mower. She stopped the mower as she saw something fluffy in their tall grass. It was a bunny. She was afraid there were more so she had her son, Conner, and Bailey help her look through the grass. Sure enough they found two more baby bunnies. All were transported to a safe spot and the lawn mowing continued.
Andie called when it was okay for us to come to her classroom. I took window measurements to make curtains. Then cut out things she had laminated. Hayden checked the room and gave her pointers that might help he with the kids. Andie graciously listened and told him how much she appreciated his input. Loved observing that moment. Bailey turned on a computer and played the learning games they have for the kids.
Andie only had an hour and then she had another meeting. We left and went to the library. Their library has a huge shelf full of games. We picked two and sat at a big table to play games for a bit. Nice way to fill and afternoon without screens in front of the Mini's and doing something together where it was cool.

When we got home, the cats entertained us. One of them has a top to a box tomatoes came in that he likes to curl up in. This time he managed to flip the box over and curl up underneath the box. The box didn't go completely to the ground and the cat would wrestle with himself and the box while under it. Very amusing.

Andie got home about 6pm and we finished the things we needed to cover. Then I headed back to Sadieville. It felt good to be doing good things for my kid and her family. Nice to be a little helpful for them before I get old enough they will have to be doing that for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment