Tuesday, March 3, 2020

A Little Over a Week...

Let's just catch up with the past week plus of activity...

I have wondered whether to post these pictures but it was such a sweet moment that I am going to post away. My sister-in-law, married to Claude's brother, has pancreatic cancer. After one round of chemo she was too ill to continue till they built her up a bit. During this she lost all of her hair. While in the hospital, Claude's brother sent him a picture of his sweet wife with no hair. I believe she is beautiful! I love his Lady. She is an amazing woman.
I looked at Claude and said, "We should give them a chuckle. They could use a chuckle. How about we send them a picture of me without my teeth?" Claude agreed that would be fun. I assured him I needed to be in my straw hat. We took the picture and sent it to Julie and Cordell. You may now enjoy it. And you may have a chuckle!
Wednesday morning Claude and I drove to Frankfort to get our new driver's license. It is called a 'real ID' and will be needed to fly internationally. Claude collected all the proof of life that is needed for one of these things. We made it through in about 45 minutes total. That is really good. Then they told Claude he has to come back in November as he is more than 6 months from his birthday. Ugh!! 


Thursday the 27th we had a hot date in the evening. We went to Eastern Kentucky University to see a Beach Boy concert. It was excellent. As soon as they started to perform, someone started a beach ball bouncing around the audience. It is so much fun to sing along with songs you love from your younger years. They sang, "In My Room" which is my all-time favorite song of the Beach Boys. My evening was a complete success.
Friday, while visiting Papa at the nursing home, I heard a voice at the door asking if someone in the room liked dogs. I answered that my father loves dogs. In the lady came with this beautiful dog. Papa loved having a dog to pet. I loved that the lady took time to come to share this animal with the residents. She actually lives in Lexington so coming to Georgetown to a small nursing home is a really big effort. Very much appreciated.
As I drove home, I pulled into Love's Travel Plaza and saw this strange sight. This reminded me of the movie "National Lampoon's Vacation". It just looked weird to me.
Friday evening we spent waiting for Jake, our son, to arrive. There was a bit of snow. Earlier in the week when we had snow it really left a sheet of ice on the roads. So there was a bit of concern about Jake driving on icy roads. However, he made it just fine and arrived a little after midnight.

Saturday morning I awoke early and showered and headed into Georgetown to visit Papa. Then I got home in time for Jake, Claude and me to head to LaGrange. 

Hayden participates in the Oldham County High School's Script Club. They write scripts, then they direct and act in these scripts for the public. Hayden directed two of the scripts. 
We enjoyed a nice dinner with the Marx family. They Claude, Jake and I left for Louisville. We had tickets to the Louisville Orchestra performing Star Wars the Empire Strikes Back. We purchased these tickets for Hayden, Claude and me. Then the play was added to his schedule and Hayden couldn't attend. We contacted Jake and asked if he might like to attend. So our very good son, drove all the way from Chelsea, Michigan to go to see this with us. Jake did theater in High School and it was fun to him to watch Hayden enjoy theater things as part of his High School experience as well.
Jake would leave Sunday morning. I would then go spend the afternoon with Papa. We would go to the park by the creek and watch many geese playing in and along the creek. Then I hurried home and made a dessert. Brad and Alicent Manwaring came for Claude to orient them as they take over the Stake Welfare/Self-Reliance Directors. We had such a nice evening visiting with these two good people. 

Monday, March 2nd, when I visited Papa he was so very bad. His back was killing him. He couldn't hardly walk. When I went to leave, I got in his face to talk so I didn't have to yell as much. I assured him I was talking with the nurses to get him pain meds and I would be back the next day to visit him. As I spoke looking into his eyes, they reminded me of Mimi's eyes with Alzheimer's ravaging her mind. Papa's eyes were vacant. 

Monday I was also able to frame the 50th Anniversary gift from Nissa and Todd and we hung it on the entry wall. It is just beautiful.
Today I was very happy when I got to the nursing home to find Papa in the dining room with other residents. Kayla is giving him restorative care. She is soooooo good. She was playing corn hole with the other residents and made sure Papa came down and enjoyed the others. His back is still very bad but it was so good to see him be out of his room and doing and activity.
And here I am this evening catching up with this Blog about my life journey. Life is full. But it is full of good things. As long as I can go to bed each night knowing I filled my day with good things, I am okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment