Wednesday, October 14, 2020

A Trip to Jekyll Island - The Journey Home...

Thursday, October 8th, found us up, showered and ready to hit the road by 10am. These are pictures taken as we left Jekyll Island ending with the bridge from Jekyll Island going to Brunswick.
When driving to Jekyll Island, we kept seeing signs for peach ice cream. We never found peach ice cream on Jekyll Island. We determined we would find some on our way home. We would be hampered in this a bit with the traffic. The first of these pictures is the traffic. My reaction...UGH! The second picture I took because the width of these very straight roads fascinated me. In my mind, I was seeing hurricane evacuation orders for all these residents. I could see the on-coming lanes being used so all traffic could go away from the ocean. Maybe this was vivid for me as I have cousins in southern Louisiana who were looking for another hurricane to come ashore on Friday. This would be Hurricane Delta. Just six weeks previous Hurricane Laura came ashore and Jean, my cousin, was left without electricity for 28 days. Now Delta was on its way and she knew she would be without electricity again. So, I was seeing evacuation on these road big time.
Sure enough we found signs for Peach World. We took the exit and found all things Georgia peach at this location. We would purchase peach ice cream to eat. We would also purchase peach salsa, peach syrup, peach salad dressing, peach taffy, and for good measure, glazed pecans.
Our goal today was to get to the west side of Asheville. I did some checking and found us a hotel and made the reservation. We checked into the room. Claude saw the clock was unplugged. He plugged it in an sparks flew. He quickly unplugged it. I would take it to the office the next day and tell them what happened. 

We drove back east on the little road our hotel was on and found an Applebee's for dinner. I love their Wonton Tacos. As we left to get dinner, I noted that a man in a truck brought his own little grill and was grilling his own dinner behind his truck. That is something I don't see ever at a hotel.

We had a good night's rest.

Friday, October 9th, we were up and dressed so we could be on the road by 10am. As Claude was dressing, I heard him say, "I bet I have another pair of these socks at home." Yep, I folded two different socks together. He probably did have a another pair just like them at home. 

We drove I-40 for a bit. However, we were wanting to get to Gatlinburg to enjoy Bubba Gump's for lunch. This would require tiny mountain roads to get through the Smoky Mountains. Gorgeous drive. The highlight was watching a man with a huge travel trailer trying turn it around on this road. With the help of some good ole local boys directing traffic, he managed to get the job done.
We were very happy that Google Maps took us into Gatlinburg and down the road we like to park on when going to Bubba Gump's. We found a nice parking spot in one of the lots we like and walked down the hill to Bubba Gump's. We had to wait about 10 minutes. This time moved quickly as we moved to a spot apart from everyone and watched the pigeons on the roof of the building across the street.

After a wonderful meal we drove straight to Sadieville. We were amazed in the Smoky Mountains and again in Kentucky with the leaves already changing colors in the few days we were in Georgia.
While we were driving, we reached a 'mile'stone with my car. Can you see it?
We got home in fine order and unloaded the car, unpacked, and I did laundry. This was a good trip. I learned a lot about a new place and totally enjoyed the history, the smell of the ocean, the Spanish moss, and the slow pace of life. Good trip!!

No comments:

Post a Comment