Sunday, January 10, 2021

Historical Event Week...

Sunday, January 3, 2021 our Sacrament meeting started at a later time. This year it will begin at 11am instead of 9am. I got up and got my shower. Then I went to the kitchen and fixed me a big glass of ice water and got me a bagel. I sat down on the love seat to get all my devices going so I was ready for Church. Claude walked in and looked at me and gently put his head near mine and softly said, "You know that today is Fast Sunday?" Oops!! I clearly did not even think of that. The first Sunday of each month (usually) is Fast Sunday in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We abstain from two meals and donate the funds we would have used for those meals to the Church. This is then used to help those in need, first in our own ward (congregation), then in our stake (several congregations) and then on to Church headquarters to help other wards who did not receive enough contributions to help their members. This money could be used to pay rent, utilities, food, etc. We will make a generous fast offering but, and I feel like Mother Eve when I say this, "I did eat!"

We enjoyed our Zoom Sacrament meeting then spent time in our scriptures. This year we are studying the Doctrine and Covenants. Claude led us in that reading and discussion. I love doing this with my hubby. 

I spent my afternoon getting my Blog caught up, writing our missionaries and writing to Papa. Claude and I spent the evening in front of our television. It was a good day. Claude fixed ham and bean soup out of Christmas leftovers. It was so yummy. Great for a winter evening together.

Monday, January 4, 2021 we spent our morning doing chores in our home. Claude took charge of cleaning the kitchen and vacuuming the floors. I had one load of laundry to fold. Silly Moi! My new dryer does turn itself off. My old one didn't do that anymore. If I didn't turn it off it would go for hours. So, when I finished washing clothes on Saturday evening, I had one last load to dry when we went to bed. I turned on my dryer and went to bed because the new dryer will turn itself off. I completely forgot to fold that load of clothes on Sunday. So Monday, I began my work folding clothes. Then I did the ironing. I watered plants and some did other things that needed to be done upstairs. 

About 3pm we left to go to Georgetown. We would go to the bank and do our walk at Moss Park before going to the nursing home. I left a treat bag for Papa. This one had a little bag with two Lindor Truffles and another little bag with a face mask Claude purchased from Mike Rowe. I then went around to the back to fill the birdfeeder by Papa's window. I stopped short as there was a little bird eating there. I took these two pictures to share with Papa.
The bird soon realized I was there and flew away. I filled the feeder. Then I enjoyed that sweet wave from Papa and his toothless grin. He blew me kisses. It is always a sweet moment to have together. So grateful he is by a window and can enjoy the birds and we can wave and blow kisses.

Monday evening we watched some more of Northern Exposure. I worked on my Kleenex box cover. Claude usually colors. However, he has been wanting to find something else to do during this time. He is not giving up the coloring, but he would like to try his hand at something else productive. I suggested he might like working in plastic canvas and yarn. He thought he might like that. I went to the basement and retrieved all my plastic canvas instruction and pattern books and brought them up to him. He read and looked through them and picked out a couple of projects. I suggested one of those might be a better place to start as it works on a plastic canvas that is really top to bottom and left to right. The other he wants to do is a shape and your brain has to think a little differently. He will do that eventually but he agreed to start on the one that is standard layout on the plastic canvas. I took these two pictures of my hubby working away and then showing me the part he had accomplished that night. He was even really smiling!! Very proud of my Big Guy Clauda!!
Tuesday, January 5, 2020 we slept in. I mean we really slept in. We neither slept well. My sleep was good for the first hour (Midnight to 1am). Then I was like sleeping but very aware I was sleeping as in I was a wake and narrating my sleep. So weird. Got worried because I couldn't hear Claude breathe. His body wasn't even moving with air going in and out. He was not snoring. Evidently, his sleep was just like my sleep and we both had a very restless night. Hence, we really slept in. 

I got up and got my shower. Then I had a flash of intellect. I said to Claude, "I have an idea I want to share and you can say yea or nay, it doesn't matter." Then I told him I thought we should go to Lexington and pick up frames for something and I wanted to look at yarn for something. Then he could take me to Montana Grill for lunch. He grinned and said, "I could be talked into that!" 

We got ourselves ready and were off to Lexington. Hobby Lobby had the frames we wanted. Claude went to pay for them with a coupon on his phone to get a discount. Then he went to the Jeep and I headed to the yarn section. I found all I was looking for and got my 30% discount on all of it. 

We drove to Montana Grill and I tried to call in our order. Mind you we are in the Curbside Pick-up spot and I tried to call on my cell phone to place the order. It rang once and disconnected. I tried this three times. Then I asked Claude to try it with his phone. As he was doing this, the server came to our car door and took our order. She said, "I'm not sure what was happening but I would get one ring and then a disconnect." Geez!! We ordered. She brought us our food. Then we drove to an empty part of the parking lot and had our picnic lunch in the Jeep. Claude enjoyed a Caesar salad and bison burger. I enjoyed bison nachos. They gave us an order of the pickles which I love so much. The last time we ate at Montana Grill was our anniversary, February 13, 2020. We reveled in every bite of this bison fest! Such a good picnic.

Wednesday, January 6, 2021 was a day spent at home and was a day for the history books. Claude and I each spent the day in our respective offices working on our laptops. I first got January packages ready to mail for anniversary and birthday. Now I just have to get to them to the post office at the right time. I was also trying to get a good backup done of all my files. I received a text from my sweet friend, Laura, telling me to turn on my television. I had my television on the National Geographic channel. It was running through a series of shows about archeology digs in Egypt. They were each an hour long and I was letting them run through while I worked. I have always been fascinated with Egypt. Since I was not paying really good attention, I set my DVR to record four of them to rewatch later. When I received Laura's text, I quickly put my television on Channel 27 (CBS) and was appalled at what I saw. 

Background on this day...The Congress was to meet and count the electoral college votes. End result would be to declare officially the winner of the presidential election. The catch was that Georgia was having a late vote for senators. Their votes would decide who had the majority in the Senate. Everyone knew that Biden, a Democrat, would be the incoming President. Everyone knew the House of Representatives had a Democratic majority. If Georgia elected democrats as senators, then the Republican majority in the senate would be over. It would then mean the Democrats would also have control of the Senate. Mitch McConnell, a republican from Kentucky, would no longer be the Senate Majority Leader, he would become the Senate Minority Leader. It turns out that Georgia voted for enough democrats to tie the vote in the Senate between democrats and republicans. The tie breaker will be Kamala Harris, the soon-to-be Vice President, a democrat. With democrats controlling all three branches of the government, there will be very little voice for the republicans in Washington, DC. 

With this as the background, you have President Trump encouraging his supporters to come to Washington to protest the perceived illegal elections in several states. They came by the thousands. The Capitol building was set for the Inauguration to take place on January 20th. It was flooded with protestors. The only police force in place was the Capitol police. Soon it was realized they needed more law enforcement and the Washington, DC police force was called upon. My understanding at this point is that the Mayor of Washington, DC asked the the surrounding counties, states and military not participate so as to not stir up more trouble. This left the poor Capitol police force unable to control what turned into a mob. They stormed the Capitol building and breached it. Congress was shuttled to an undisclosed location or asked to shelter in place. They entered and defaced and damaged things. One lady who was there as a protestor was shot and later died. Others fell as they tried to climb concrete walls to get in. Eventually pepper spray and tear gas were used to disburse and get the crowd under control. The Mayor requested and received the aide of police from adjoining county and state police forces. Eventually the crowd was disbursed. Congress went back to work and completed the electoral college count and declaration of Joe Biden as the winner of the presidential election. President Trump issued a video-taped statement which I found pathetic. 

I have gone out and found pictures of this event. These are the pictures of the protestors (mob) breaching the Capitol doors and climbing the walls to get in.
Once inside they broke glass to enter Senate and House of Representative chambers. Capitol police are trying to fend them off at gun point. On the news there was a video of a man hanging from the balcony as he tried to climb into the balcony. I found no still shots of that. 
Once inside they entered offices, took podiums, and generally acted in a most disrespectful way to our Capitol building. 
The final picture is the smoke overshadowing the Capitol as law enforcement tries to gain control so that Congress can go on with its duty.
As Claude and I talked about this that night, I told him that, to me, this was a view of the type of people we are becoming as a society in the United States. This is so very unacceptable and very, very concerning. My sweet hubby posted this on Facebook on Thursday.

"I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Character Counts.  Unless and until American voters start casting their precious votes for men and women of good character, we will continue to see division and strife.  In the last two (or maybe more) Presidential election cycles, America has been given the poorest of choices and we're paying the price.  Ideology does matter but not so much as character.  A person of good character will act in the best interests of the people, choosing the best ideas and actions from all contributors for implementation.  They will play hardball when needed and act with compassion when appropriate.  They will be truthful and honest in their communication and steadfast in their pursuit of a great America for all Americans.  All this BECAUSE they are of good character.  We cannot realistically expect corrupt people to suddenly convert.  If you truly believe a particular person is corrupt do not support them and we will eventually winnow out the bad ones and recruit, elevate, and elect the good ones.  We can no longer count on the press/media for accurate information.  They have not demonstrated good faith efforts but remain a necessary evil at this point. Seek out sources where we can find those that still value the truth.  Pay more attention to what people DO than to what people SAY."  As a country we are in a bad spot and it behooves all to do a reset... of our own attitudes, and our tolerance and expectations of those who are supposed to lead us.  The law of the harvest remains.  We will reap what we sow.  Corruption today will not lead to a better tomorrow.

"There is a sickness in the land, a sickness of the mind and of the heart, and where sickness thrives, bad things will follow.

"I wish that these things did not happen in my lifetime, as do all who live to see such times.  But it is not for them to decide.  What we must decide is what to do with the time that is given us." (Gandolf from Lord of the Rings)

"America can do and be better but it has to want to.  Seek out men and women of good character.  People who really love this country.  People who understand the importance of liberty and the responsibilities and costs that come with it.  People who have heart and common sense and who understand the value of serving others and something bigger than themselves.  We cannot "plow around" our leaders.  Therefore we must only delegate power to those who understand right from wrong and who value the difference..."

This was history in the making of the worst caliber.

Thursday, January 7, 2021 I had an appointment with our dermatologist. He checked me over. I had two spots that were new that I was concerned about. One was on my neck and he pronounced it nothing to worry about. He could burn it off if I wanted but he didn't think it warranted that. We left it alone. The other was on the left side of my nose. Dr. Wilson did not feel it was cancerous but he wanted to be sure. He shaved part of it and sent it for processing. I will get the results of this biopsy within two weeks. All these types of things are slower because of Covid-19. 

I dropped a treat bag for Papa and picked up my prescription that had been refilled for eye drops. I drove to Bojangles and treated myself to a biscuit. Then I hurried home. After having something like that biopsy done, I really just want to be back in my safe place, which is my home. So grateful for our home during this season of weirdness.

When I got home, I looked for Vaseline. This is to be put on the spot where the shaving of my skin was so that it doesn't form a scab. I knew I had a large container of Vaseline and a small container. I checked drawers where it should be and my ditty bag for when we travel and found nothing. I did this at least three times for each of these places. Then I determined I should just drive to the gas station and purchase some there. While I was gone, Claude looked in the drawer and found the two containers. When I got home, he took me into our bathroom and showed me what he found. Ugh!! But, I have what I need to help this place heal on my nose. 

Friday, January 8, 2021 we received the new Liahona magazine. There is the Ensign magazine printed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for adults, the New Era magazine printed for teens and young adults and the Friend magazine printed for young children to 12 years of age. In addition there was a Liahona magazine published in different languages for others living around the world. Sometimes the Liahona did not come out monthly. Now the Church is going to three magazines published in, I believe, 48 languages. They will be called Liahona for adults, For the Strength of Youth for teens and young adults and Friend for children to age 12. These three magazines will come monthly to those 48 languages. January was the first edition of the Liahona and I was anxious to receive it. I have made it a habit for years to read my Ensign magazine cover to cover. After reading it, I give it to Papa to read. So, I was curious about this Liahona and how it would be similar or different from my treasured experience each month. I truly enjoyed this magazine as much as the Ensign. I will give our copy to Papa on Monday with his treat bag. 

By the way, I am old enough to remember the predecessors for these magazines. I have Relief Society Magazines which were done for women for a number of years. I grew up with the Improvement Era as the adult magazine. There were many others through the years. Now, I could just read the digital version on my tablet each month. I may eventually do that. But for right now, I love the feel of the paper in my hands as I read. And, I can give it to Papa. He doesn't do anything digital.

Friday we did The Day of Claude and Sandi. Claude started our day with pancakes for breakfast. We made a point to do things together throughout the day. It was so nice as we curled up to go to sleep that night to both feel very good about our day. With the staying inside due to the virus and the cold air outside, it can get tedious at times. Making a day special for us with things we both wanted to do together was just the right way to break the potential for monotony.

Saturday, January 9, 2021 I started my day by doing the laundry.

I had another Kleenex box cover I was making out of plastic canvas and yarn. On Friday I finished making all the pieces. Saturday I wanted to finish that project by putting the box together. So while washing clothes, I worked on putting this box together. I will keep this one. I have bruised my poor thumb pulling the yarn through the little holes. The mesh on this plastic canvas was finer. I purchased thinner yarn to help with this however I still broke two needle eyes working with the yarn in those holes. I have several sheets of the smaller mesh plastic canvas that will go to Goodwill. The other thing that happened with this one is the little flourish you see on top left-hand corner of the blue on this side. As I was working the canvas, it looked like I missed a stitch on one row. I inserted a stitch in that spot on my next go around and then that stitch vanished. It seems I had a small tear in the plastic canvas. I was greatly distressed as I had lots of hours of work getting the four sides and the top to that point. Since the yarn was a weird version of variegated, I couldn't just toss this and make another. I stewed about what to do to save this project. At some point, I remembered making something we called 20th Century Doodles in shop class when I was in high school. You hammered 10 nails into a piece of wood in a line with the nails being 1/4 of an inch apart. Then at an angel somewhere else of your choosing on the board you made another line of nails 1/2 in apart. Then you wrapped string around the nail at one end of one line and strung the string across to the same end of the other line of nails. You worked your way back and forth and ended with a beautiful piece of art that had an arc in the string where it overlapped. I decided I would use that idea and work yarn over the broken section and then continue my normal fill where the plastic canvas was strong. So that little flourish is covering a crack in the plastic canvas that was about an inch long. I love the look though. I could use that as a pattern in future projects. 
This day Claude and I each received on our cell phones a map with information about our travels in 2020...the year of the quarantine!! We clearly did not quarantine completely. But any trips were carefully made with strong precautions to be safe from the virus. I do not have any explanation why we have different totals. We really haven't gone much of anywhere without the other. Mine is on the left with 80 cities and Claude's is on the right with 78 cities. It is possible to travel in your sleep?? 
Sunday, January 10, 2021 has been a good Sunday. We enjoyed Zoom Church and then reading together. Claude had a Zoom meeting and I came downstairs to write Papa, the missionaries and to finish my Blog for this week. Now Claude is having his favorite nap of the week, a Sunday afternoon rest. Tonight we'll work on Season 6 (the final season) of Northern Exposure. I'm starting a new project and Claude will work his project. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment