Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Michigan Bound...

Monday, May 3, 2021, was Papa's birthday. He turned 93 years old. I started my morning by making this post to Facebook with these pictures of Papa.

"I shall start my day by wishing this man a Very, Very Happy 93rd Birthday!! Happy Birthday, Papa!! You are one of a kind and I look forward to sharing Happy Birthday with you in person this afternoon!"
I picked Papa up at 1pm from the nursing home and we drove to my home. Claude left his car out of the garage so I could pull into the middle of the garage and get Papa out of the car in the garage. We were experiencing bursts of heavy rain. It all worked fine. Claude helped me get Papa up the two steps into the kitchen. I brought up his family history book he created. He worries about that and I wanted him to be sure he felt it again and knew I had it. I called Junie and she called back and talked to Papa for a long time. This was such a good thing for both of them. She hasn't heard her father's voice for well over a year. It was good for him to hear from another daughter. After Junie's call, I fixed us all ice cream and cake. Then I brought out the presents I had for Papa. Then he just wanted to talk family history. This is the thing that really bothers him as he forgets things. In his words, "I don't want to forget my family." So I opened his big binder of family history and we read names and talked about them. Papa is sure people don't have a book like his. I pulled out my cellphone and opened my Family Tree app. I showed him how all that information we just read in the big paper notebook is also right on my phone. He was amazed. I have tried to explain this to him but it is out of his comprehension zone and not something he will remember for any length of time. That is not really the point. The point is, he enjoyed trying to remember and to get it all straight one more time in his brain. He was happy family can get that information.

At 3:30 we loaded Papa back in my car and I took him back to the nursing home. He had a good birthday. So much more than we thought would happen with this virus. He enjoyed being in the car watching the rain. Think of it. We take that for granted. Papa isn't even aware it happens when he is inside the nursing home. Junie asked him if he could hear the rain when he was in my car. He couldn't. He could only see it. Lots to be aware of in that moment. Grateful we had this time to celebrate Papa turning 93 years old.

Tuesday, May 4, 2021, we drove to Michigan. Our daughter, Nissa, was having surgery this day. We were going to spend a week and support her through the recovery. Todd, her hubby, shared this picture of our first-born waiting for her surgery. She is cute and I told him I loved the hat!!
We entered I-75 northbound in the pouring rain. This is not fun to drive in. We were hoping this would not last the entire 8+ hours we had to drive. 
As we neared Cincinnati, the traffic was heavier. The rains still beat on the car and road. We knew the Brett Spence Bridge over the Ohio River at Cincinnati would be slow. The rain did not help that at all. The construction to repair after last year's fire on the bridge did not help at all. Patience was the order of the day.
Once through that bridge, we were in Ohio. Yeah!!
In Ohio, we found a sign that said "Variable Speed Limit". What does this mean? This is one of those times you can see the difference in how Claude and my mind work. Claude thinks the sign means you can go any speed you like. I think the sign means that, because of the construction, the speed limit will change frequently so be aware as you drive. This is why we say that, between the two of us, we have one really good brain!

I took pictures of landmarks to text to kids so they knew where we were in our journey for instance, Butter Jesus. Look it up. It is an interesting story.
Not long before we stopped in Bowling Green, Ohio for lunch at a Burger King, the rain stopped.
Then we continued north past the mosque where I again sent a landmark picture to update the kids.
We made it into Michigan on Hwy 23.
Claude had determined he would stay with Hwy 23 until he reached I-96. Then he would turn west and take I-96 to Muskegon. This sounded like a great plan until we were caught up in this traffic madness.
As we slowly inched forward, I got Google Maps on my cellphone. I told Claude to make his way to the right lane and take the next exit. Little did I know they were having everyone do that same thing. We got off I-96 and found back roads that eventually took us to I-96 further north.
Now we were moving again. We made it across Michigan and determined we would stop in Grand Rapids for a Krispy Kreme donut. We were happy to find their red light on and got very fresh donuts. Yummy!!
In another half hour we were at Muskegon. We went directly to the Shoreline Inn and checked into our room. We would occupy Room 1001 for next five nights. Room 1001 is the top floor in the center.
Room 1001 would afford us a wonderful view of Muskegon Lake. There is a marina at the base of the Shoreline Inn. Very relaxing location. 

We left for a bit to find a Subway to get a sandwich for dinner. Then back to the hotel to enjoy the sunset from our window. Lovely. Simply Lovely!!
Wednesday, May 5, 2021, we were up at 9:30am. We wanted Nissa to be able to sleep in after Todd left so there was no hurry to get up. We got our act together and headed to Holton, Michigan where the Tyler's reside. Nissa was awake when we got there. She was moving very gingerly. But she was up and moving. Took her a gift of a new pair of pajamas to relax in as she recuperated. We visited with her about 2 hours. She took her next dose of meds and they started to kick in. We left so she would go to bed and sleep the afternoon away. 

After a nice lunch from the Firehouse Subs window, we drove to the Roper's home. We would spend our afternoon there. We had tried to get the other two grandmonsters there but that didn't work out. So we visited with the Ropers until time for Raelyn to go to her soccer practice. 

I took two gifts I made for Joel. Katelyn is pregnant with our fourth great grandmonster. A little boy who will be named Joel. We opened these gifts. First a quilt. I have made the girls each a rag quilt and some of the squares in Joel's quilt have the same fabric blocks as the girls quilts. Raelyn and Katelyn were finding fabrics they knew in the quilt blocks.
I crocheted a lion afghan for Joel. Each of the girls have an animal afghan. I have a lot of pain in my right thumb and hand when I crochet. This was a labor of love. It was also a surprise to Katelyn. She knew I wasn't crocheting a lot and would not ask me to make one for Joel. She was happy to get this afghan and liked the lions on it for her little boy. 

Claude took the Roper's end tables home with him after our March visit. He refinished these tables and we brought them back to the Ropers. These end tables turned out great. Raelyn is sure he brought them back for her. 
Katelyn received a package from Amazon. She opened it and the box went to Emelia. Give a kid a box and they will play for hours. Emelia was proof off that. 
Claude and Raelyn had a fun moment-in-time while Emelia was busy with her box. Raelyn loves great Grampa Christensen and he feels the same way about her. The third picture is Claude trying to fold Raelyn up. Oh My!!
As the afternoon wore on, Raelyn got her clothes on for her soccer practice. Yep, she was ready!
I don't know how Claude and Emelia came up with this game. Bottom line...Emelia was asking for more!
Then we all drove to the soccer field to watch Raelyn practice. In the first picture, Raelyn is practicing before practice starts. She is kicking the soccer ball and Emelia and Katelyn are to the right of her. The second and third pictures are Raelyn warming up. The fourth, fifth and sixth pictures are Raelyn running the cones then kicking a goal. The seventh and eighth pictures are playing a game called Stop/Go. The coach says 'Go' and the players run while kicking their soccer balls. The coach then yells 'Stop' and the players are to stop and put one foot on their soccer ball. The last picture is the end of their practice. The players and coaches all put their hands on top of each other's hands and they cheer as they lift all their hands. Building a little team spirit.
We promised to take the Roper family for a burger after practice. Raelyn immediately said she wanted McDonald's. Off to McDonald's our car went to pick up burgers for everyone. We would eat them at the Roper home.

After dinner, Claude and I made our way back to our room in the sky and enjoyed our view again. I started reading a book on the drive across I-96. It was "Twenty Wishes" by Debbie Mccomber. I spent this evening finishing this book. It was a light read and a good read.
Thursday, May 6, 2021, was a rainy or potentially rainy day in the Muskegon area. Enjoyed watching the fishing boat on Muskegon Lake.
At some point we missed a phone call on Claude's cell phone. On April 28th Claude had an appointment with Dr. Wilson, our dermatologist. When he came home he had easily 20 burn marks on his arms where Dr. Wilson burned off skin cancers. In addition, Dr. Wilson biopsied a place on Claude's left cheek and on his neck behind his right ear. Dr. Wilson told Claude to expect to have surgery on these two places on his head. Ugh. This call was to give Claude the results of his biopsy. We neither heard Claude's phone ring. Claude would try three times during this day to get these results to no avail. Ugh!!

We went back to Nissa's in the middle of the day. We found her baking cookies. She was moving very gingerly still but a bit more mobile. Her doctors told her to sleep a lot but to walk and move when she was awake. She was sure doing that. Nissa and Todd use the Keto diet and she was making Keto friendly chocolate chip cookies. I gave Nissa my "Twenty Wishes" book to help pass some time with reading. We again stayed until her next meds made her sleepy. We left then so she could rest till Todd came home from work. 

We had set an appointment to go to Aubrey's apartment to visit with her and Nelson. As we drove Muskegon streets, we had to wait for traffic. Bwah-ha-ha!!
Katelyn, Drew and the girls came over after we arrived so the cousins could play together a bit. Aubrey had a male and female cat and the female had six kittens about six weeks before. This was a delight for all our little ones. I love watching the cousins playing together.
Claude and I drove to The Pita Place after visiting with Aubrey. Then it was back to the hotel for the rest of the evening. 

This was a fun evening to watch Muskegon Lake from our window. The weather had turned colder that day. In the early evening, the sun finally came out. I am guessing that the hot sun on the cold water caused interesting weather patterns to develop. Little wisps of clouds would form on the top of the water and dance like they were getting ready to turn into little twisters. As night came on it turned to fog. By the time we closed our curtain, it was a full fog and we couldn't see the other side of the lake. Usually we could see the lights on the other shore. Not this night. It was an eerie event to watch but also very fascinating from our 10th floor view. 
Friday, May 7, 2021, we woke up to the fishing boat leaving again. 
Claude was able to get with Dr. Wilson's office and get his results. The diagnosis was basal cell carcinoma and Claude will have Moh's surgery to remove the place on his cheek and on his neck. This is the type of surgery I had on my nose about two years ago. This time the surgery will be done in Dr. Wilson's office. Ugh!! (I seem to be typing Ugh a lot this time.)

Claude also got a call from his mother, Bonnie. We mailed her Mother's Day present before we left Kentucky. Claude made her a plastic canvas picture of two cardinals. He got a frame and framed it. He filled out one of the greeting cards he colored. I boxed it all up and wrote on the inside of his card that Claude made the needlework and the card for her. Bonnie was amazed and giddy happy with her gift from her boy. I can see it hanging on her fridge when we visit her next time! 

We drove out to spend the middle of the day with Nissa. I gave her a haircut. Claude gave her a priesthood blessing. When she was getting tired, we left so she could sleep. She was moving a bit better. 

We had an appointment with Paul to have dinner at Bob Evans. He was having Rachel, his girlfriend, bring him as his truck was not working. We had a couple of hours before time for dinner. We called Katelyn and asked if it was okay to visit with her again for a bit. She was happy for us to come again.

The girls each scored a popsicle. I took this series of pictures. Love that in the first one I caught Katelyn giving them firm instructions. By the last one Emelia is very comfortable with Raelyn and they are both very happy with their popsicle time.
We left the Ropers and drove to Bob Evans. When we got there, Claude backed into a spot. I told him I was not sure what kind of car we were looking for. We settled in to wait and watch. Imagine my surprise when Paul opened the door of the car next to us!! He and Rachel arrived before us and were parked right next to us. We had a wonderful dinner with good conversation. As we went back to our cars, Paul had me come and look at a sticker on Rachel's car window. He is very happy to have Rachel for a girlfriend. 
Claude and I drove to the soccer field. Friday night was Raelyn's soccer game. It was sooooo cold. I did get a few pictures. Raelyn's team is in the black t-shirts. Raelyn is #7. 
We had a most beautiful sunset this night. The colors were amazing.
Saturday, May 8, 2021, would be our last full day in the Muskegon area. We were going to spend it with Nissa and Todd. 

Before we left the hotel, I took these pictures of the marina at the base of the hotel and posted this on our family's Facebook page.
"My pictures today are from the marina at the hotel. It has several really beautiful boats in several price ranges in their slips. The one that has captured my heart and drawn my fascination though is the little fishing boat in a corner slip. I believe we find lots of life lessons in all that is around us. I look at that little boat and think of that phrase "Bloom where you are planted." I also think of how often we feel we don't fit. This little boat could be considered 'out of place'. Yet it really isn't. It belongs in its slip as much as the others. It is cared for as much as the others by its owner. It serves its specific purpose as well as the others. It does belong in that marina. Each of us has our own purpose in this life. Each of us is cared for by our other family members. Each of us belongs in our family and community. I want each of you to know you have a special place in my heart and life. You are important to me. Love ya bunches!!"

As we left the hotel, a little poem popped into my head from my childhood. I know I must be not remembering the beginning, but this is what I remember: "Kissing spreads germs it is so stated, So kiss me Baby, I'm vaccinated." It seemed to fit this time in which we are living. 

We stopped at Whispering Pines, the Amish store, to get cheese, bread and cookies to take home. 

We enjoyed our afternoon at the Tyler home. Our concern was Nissa had a little complication during Friday evening. She had been given instructions and ways to gauge this particular problem to determine if she needed to head to the ER. She opted to stay home and was doing a bit better Saturday morning. I am happy to report that as of Monday evening, that problem was pretty well under control. Todd grilled steaks for us. Nissa made a cucumber and tomato salad and made mashed rutabagas. This was my first time having mashed rutabagas. They were delicious. Just like mashed potatoes. She mashed them with sour cream and butter. Then has butter for you to add if your want. Truly delicious.

While at the Tyler's, I started a crochet project. I made two coasters. I would make another one Monday night. 
I received a text from Jacob, our son, while at the Tyler's. He was wondering how Nissa was doing. I sent him this picture of our girl.
Sunday, May 9, 2021, was Mother's Day. This year I decided to start a tradition which I believe was well received. I usually give a Mother's day gift to Nissa and Andie, our daughters, and to Katelyn and Aubrey, our grandmonsters and mothers of our great grandmonsters. This year I used cards Claude had colored. Inside I wrote an explanation that my mother, Mimi, had always carried a bit of hidden money in her wallet. This was there in case she had an emergency, or a place would not take a check, or if she wanted a treat for herself. I called it Mimi's Mad Money. I folded a $20 bill and put one in each card. I told the girls this would be a tradition from now on. They would each get Mimi Mad Money for their own use. They could tuck it away for when it was needed or use it as they wanted. I know for a fact, Nissa was going to use hers when she got her nails done on Monday. 

I also sent this quote to each of our girls and grandmonsters: "Expand your knowledge, both intellectual and spiritual, to the full stature of your divine potential. There is no limit to your influence for good. Share your talents, for that which we willingly share, we keep, but that which we selfishly keep, we lose. (Thomas S. Monson)"

I posted this on Facebook about my mother. "I have a sweet Mother. As Uncle Bob said many years ago, "She graduated to the next level" in 2012. I have had the tender mercy of feeling her close to me four specific times since 2012. She taught me well. She loved her family. Everyone of us would love having a breakfast of Mimi biscuits. Let's remember all the Grand Ladies who have loved, served, encouraged, and uplifted us during our lives, related biologically or by the heart. Happy Mother's Day Mimi today and everyday!!"
After checking out of our hotel, we drove to the Ropers. Katelyn wanted a priesthood blessing from her Grampa. Claude gave her a blessing. I took her kitchen curtain to alter. Then we were off to Chelsea for the night. We would encounter rain again. But the drive went well. We were able to check in. Then we drove to Wendy's and picked up dinner for Jake, our son. We would drop this off on his front porch with some other things we brought for him. He got his second vaccine on Saturday and was keeping it low key and resting till he had to go to work on Monday. We went back to Wendy's and picked up dinner for us. Then to the hotel to eat. After that we talked with Jake on the phone for a while. I crocheted the third coaster that evening. 

Monday, May 10, 2021, we would make our way back to Sadieville. We stopped in West Chester, Ohio to see what was in the Duluth Trading Company store. Claude had ordered a pair of jeans from them online and really liked them. We wanted to see what was in their store. We found several items and purchased them. We would stop at this store again.
It was nice to cross the Brett Spence Bridge again and enter Kentucky.
When we got home, we check the bird's nest we left on our wreath on the front porch. It seems our mother robin had indeed laid her eggs while we were gone. We now have four robin eggs hatching. I sent this picture to Andie, our daughter. She is teaching a series of lessons on birds. I sent her my pictures from the first time a robin built a nest, laid and hatched eggs on our front porch and the little video of the baby learning to fly. She is going to share our experience this time with her little friends.
I bought me a purple cap at Duluth Trading Company. Took this picture of me in my purple cap and glasses and sent it to Raelyn. She also loves purple.
Monday evening I did the laundry. We were ready to get back in the groove of being home.

Tuesday, May 11, 2021, I got the ironing done in the morning. In the afternoon I took Papa for a car ride. This time we went south and he loved it. This is where the beautiful horse farms are located and the scenery is excellent. 

Claude spent his day cutting the grass while I was out and about. When I got home he was just finishing. He invited me to sit on the front porch with him for a while. 

While he was out there before I came outside, our little robin went back to her nest and sat on it while he was sitting on the porch. I ruined this by forgetting and coming out to the front porch through the front door. Oops! She didn't come back to the nest while we were both sitting there. We did observe five big turkey buzzards flying in and over to circle over our neighbors home across our street. When the fifth turkey buzzard came into our sight, there were two little birds flying after that big bird giving it fits. This was the mother and father robin protecting their eggs. All of this is great for Andie's class. 

And that brings me to this evening trying to catch up on my Blog. Whew. A lot happened in the last week. Now, let's see what we can finish this week with!!

No comments:

Post a Comment