Sunday, August 1, 2021

Is This What Normal Will be Like? Maybe...

With the house all put together except for little bits of this and that, we are trying to find out what our new normal will be. This is a question most people are asking after a year of quarantining and wearing masks all the time. What is normal going to feel like? I have felt some anxiety which has seemed odd to me. I love this home. I love each of the rooms and how we have set them up. Even the garage!! So I know any anxious feelings I have are really not about the house or the move. I am sure we did the right thing to downsize. I am sure this is the right house for Claude and me for this point in our lives. All of these things I am very confident about having made the correct choice and moved in the right direction. Now, we are in that direction, and I believe the anxious feelings are making that adjustment. Catching up with things I let slide because every day was unpacking, finding the right place for everything, deciding it was okay to let go of more things, where do we hang these pictures, we really need a stand here for this thing, and the list goes on. We had four weeks of these decisions as our constant form of life. Our focus was getting things in order. Well, now they are in order in our home and it is time to find the 'new normal'. Shifting gears as you get older is a slower process. Your head knows things and you have to get your emotions to move that direction. So, a little bit of anxiety till I find that new normal. Let's look at this last week and see what we did to get 'back to normal'.

Monday, July 26th, I did a very silly thing. My birthday was coming up. The older I get, the more low-key I want my birthday to be. I assure Claude profusely that I do not want or need any gifts. I just want a nice day. So, we had not done a lot of thinking or planning for my birthday. However, I received a package from Amazon with my name on it. I opened the box and found these treasures inside with a note that read, "Happy Birthday Ma! We thought you'd enjoy a Hobbit inspired start to your fairy garden!" 
My thoughts first went to Nissa, our oldest. She is an Amazon queen and I immediately thought it was Nissa. She has sent me several things using Amazon. I took this picture and sent it to her with a thank you. Her reply, "That is really cute but it didn't come from me." Oops!! 

Since there is no name on the box and no name on the note, how do I find who it came from. I opened the packaging and went through it. There was a QR Code that you could scan and then send a thank you reply through Amazon to the sender. I did that QR Code thing and learned that Michael sent it. Michael is our son-in-law and is married to our middle child, Andie. If you read the note carefully there are many clues that I should have picked up on. First, the use of 'Ma'. That was what Hayden, Andie and Michael's first-born, called me. Nissa's kids called me Blamma and Claude Blampa. Second, I love J.R.R. Tolkien's Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. I have recently finished reading The Hobbit again and am now reading The Lord of the Rings. Hayden, loves to come and watch the Lord of the Rings with us on New Year's Eve. When he spent the night with us in this new home, we watched the three Hobbit movies. All of these things should have pointed me in the right direction to express my gratitude. Bailey loves fairy gardens and I shared the tree in our backyard that would make a great fairy garden. All of these things should have pointed me to the Marx family. I apologized to Nissa. Then I sent Andie and Michael a thank you with the pictures.

Andie called in the evening to talk with me about it. I then 'fessed up and shared my silliness. The funny thing was Michael's reaction. Andie is also an Amazon queen. She had order three things. When the things they order are delivered, they get a message with a picture of the package at the front door. Michael got this picture and immediately went downstairs and looked on their front porch. No package. He became concerned. How happy he was to find they didn't have a porch pirate taking packages off their front porch. The porch in the picture was our front porch and the package was delivered to me. It was really just funny all around. Claude and I have sized up the tree we are wanting to make a fairy garden out of. Claude will nail these items on it as soon as his incision is a bit healthier. It will be very cute!!

This day we also saw the cutest picture of Joel, our newest great grandmonster. His dad, Drew, is holding him at the table. The caption with the picture reads something like, "Mommy, this is to give you your review. Daddy is the judge." I love these pictures of our little guy. 
Tuesday, July 27th, I picked up Papa at the nursing home in the morning and brought him to our new home for the first time. I took him on a tour of the new house and showed him each room. At this point in his decline, he just went from room to room and looked. He walks with his walker. So, he entered each room and would walk way into it. Then we would have to figure the best way to get him turned around to come out. Not a lot of questions. I do believe he was happy to get to the back and sit on the patio for the rest of his visit. He does tire easily. He thought the house was very big. This is where a matter of perspective comes in. Claude and I have moved from a house twice the size of this with with two floors and lots of land. This house and yard are much smaller to us. Cozy. To Papa, whose days are spend in a small room shared with another man, this house is huge. Perspective! 

We enjoyed sitting on the patio. I had a picture in my head of all these birds coming to play in the back yard. They have done this many times as Claude and I sat on the patio. This morning, there were two robins on the fence standing very, very still. They stayed that way for a long time. When they flew away, there were no birds coming into the yard. The breeze through the trees was lovely and very soothing. We talked a bit. I got Papa a root beer to drink. It must have been nice for Papa as he fell fast asleep sitting in his chair. I let him sleep until 11:15 and then I awoke him to go back to the nursing home. Just before I woke him, two red cardinals flew across the back yard and lit on the top of the shed. Papa missed that display. Maybe next time.

Papa was so happy to be outside and enjoying the fresh air. I assured him we would do that again. He went back to the nursing home a little happier. That is a good thing.

Claude got a new toy and used it before his surgery. Claude was very busy this Tuesday trying to get projects that would be a bit dirty done before his surgery. You never know how extensive this kind of surgery will be until they are finished. Then you get your healing time based on how much they had to remove. So, Claude was making sure he was ready to rest and not get real dirty for a while. He pulled out his new toy. It is the smallest leaf blower he could purchase. The garage was full of bits of paper and boxes, pieces and this and that from all the unpacking. He used it for just a few seconds and said, "This is the way to do this!" He would then go clean the leaves off the patio (which will be a continuous problem with our trees). I know he will get many miles out of this toy.
Wednesday, July 28th, was surgery day two for Claude. This time it was for the skin cancer on his cheek. It was Moh's surgery as on his neck. He decided to drive himself instead of me sitting in the hot car waiting for hours. I used that time to sweep all my floors, water all the plants, and be a little homemaker again. I must say, "If felt good!" 

Claude only had to have one cutting this time and came home with this bandage to be worn for at least the next 24 hours. I took this picture and sent it to our family so they would have an update on how their dad/son/brother/uncle was doing. Claude will go back on Wednesday to have the stitches removed. 
Thursday, July 29th, I borrowed Papa from the nursing home again and took him for a car ride. We had a lovely ride for about 1 1/2 hours. Then I told Papa I was going to get him a chocolate shake. He was happy about that. These are not offered at the nursing home so they are a treat for Papa. 

First I drove Papa to his old apartment. He speaks of it often trying to keep facts in his head about his life. As we neared it, he could not remember any of it. In his mind, he didn't ever live there. He asked how long he lived there. I told him from Dec 2005 through September 2017. All those years and he couldn't remember anything. I reminded him of his love of the beautiful trees planted in each yard. How he loved their shape and color. No remembrance of that at all. I parked in front of his apartment and pointed it out and he looked and looked and couldn't ever remember living there. I drove the streets of the neighborhood behind him that was built while he lived there. I drove the streets I had marked out a one mile distance on so he could walk a mile every day. He had absolutely no memory of this. Instead of this bringing his memories into focus, it was just frustrating to him that he had lost that much memory from what is more recent life. 

I drove back to McDonald's to get him his chocolate shake. They aren't making shakes right now!! I told her thank you and that I would be leaving the line. This is part of life now. The supply chain for many things was disrupted and it just isn't back up for some things in some places. 

I drove to Dairy Queen and was able to get Papa a chocolate shake and me a small Girl Scout Thin Mint Blizzard. If you haven't had one of these and you like the Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies, I suggest you get one while they are making them. My new favorite Blizzard. While we sat there in the Dairy Queen parking lot under a shade tree, I reminded Papa it was Neffie's birthday. Neffie is my little sister and is five years younger than me. I had an idea. I pulled out my cellphone and asked Papa to sing Happy Birthday to Neffie while I videoed him singing. It took a couple of takes before he focused enough to get through the whole birthday song with pausing to ask a question that popped into his mind. But, he did it and I sent it to Neffie. She was happy to get this gift from her father. As we finished eating our ice cream, Papa said, "I must have needed that! It was really good!" I love this. It is the best 'thank you' for being with Papa. 

Friday, July 30th, was by 71st birthday. I had stewed over how to spend my day. My wish was to have a relaxing day with my hubby doing what I wanted to do. That is what Claude did for me. As I got ready for an outing, I came back to our bed and found this on my pillow. Strike 1 for a Good Birthday!
As Claude finished getting ready for our outing, I went to the living room and looked out the window to find our resident rabbit. My family's nickname is Wabbit. Strike 2 for a Good Birthday!
Claude drove us to Bojangles where I had the best biscuit ever. I knew as soon as I took it out of the bag that this was going to be an excellent biscuit. Strike 3 for a Good Birthday!
As I searched possible places to spend my birthday, I kept coming back to Somerset, Kentucky. We decided to drive back roads to Somerset. I found a few things to do there that we had not done before. This is Weisenberger Mill on our drive. You just can't do a bad drive in Kentucky. Strike 4 for a Good Birthday!
Our destination in Somerset was the International Paranormal Museum and Research Center. I know, a little strange for a destination for a birthday. But it sounded interesting to Claude and to me. This museum is located in the basement of the Carnegie Community Center in Somerset. This community center is obviously an old building that was previously something else. I didn't ever find out what but I'm guessing an old post office or city office building. That kind of large, concrete structure. These pictures are in front of and in the lobby of the Carnegie Community Center. I have to say the blue sky with clouds painted on the ceiling was a mini-version of a huge hotel shopping area in Las Vegas. They do art displays and there is a place to eat inside if you had a catered event. 
Then you hold on to the rail as you descend to the basement level for the International Paranormal Museum and Research Center on tiny, tiny steps. We paid our $3, because we are old and can do that!! We were told you just stroll through at your leisure. If you have a question, come back and they will answer it for you. The very nice young lady that took our money could easily have been on the Munsters! She was sweet but on the edge of being Gothic in appearance. 
Now to check out this museum. I can report there are only three tiny rooms packed with all kinds of things. I took pictures of some of it for various reasons. Claude and I got some chuckles out of some of it. Learned some things by reading some of the signs. And found some things that we actually own in our home!!
We believe this to be an old embalming machine.
Did you see this movie? Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice. Beetl......
This is Lizzie Borden. I took the picture because of the little circular item in the middle. It reads, "Everything I ever wanted to learn about anger management, I learned from Lizzie Borden "
I find this the saddest use of a turtle shell ever!!!
This robe is from the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Did you know they really preceded the Masons as a very popular secret society? Did not know that. See what important pieces of useless information we learn in a paranormal museum. 
I took this one for Jacob, our son. He loves all things NASA and outer space. Thought he would get a chuckle of the alien peeking from behind the rock at our astronaut on the moon. 
When in high school, Jacob played the role of Seymour Krelborn in Little Shop of Horrors. Thought he would enjoy this Audrey 2 plant.
We have a nephew that lives in Vancouver, Washington. He is fascinated with Big Foot. Thought he would get a kick out of this sign. It reads, "Please place all human remains in the black garbage bags for this purpose. Thank you for your cooperation."
Nissa and Todd gave us two books. One is on this shelf. Weird Kentucky. They also gave us Weird Michigan. They are very interesting books.
Strike 5 for a Good Birthday!!

I told Claude as we were driving that some time during the day I wanted a piece of chocolate. I found a store that said they sold chocolates. It was one block away from the museum. We walked to the Mole Hole. There was only one clerk and she was busy with two other ladies. Claude and I roamed the gift shop. Then we came back to the candy counter and discussed which pieces we might each want. Then we waited, and waited, and waited, and waited. I finally told Claude we should just leave. So, we left. As we left, the lady was calling out apologies, explaining she was alone and would get to us. I assured her it was really okay. And, we left. I wanted chocolate but really knew I would find some in another place at another time. Not an issue. No strike on this adventure.

We got in the Jeep and drove to the Amish Market. A little disappointing if one compares it to the Amish Market by the Tyler's in Holton, Michigan. I found a nice piece of milk chocolate with caramel and pecans inside. Claude found a big homemade cinnamon roll. We got bottles of water and went back to the Jeep to eat. Strike 6 for a Good Birthday!!

I found a restaurant that looked interesting named Guthrie's Grill. We decided to try it for dinner. It opened at 3pm. We would have a little wait in their parking lot before they opened. Not an issue. I brought my Kindle to entertain me. Claude had his cell phone. 
At 3pm we entered the restaurant. I asked if we could sit on the deck. You see, this restaurant in on a ledge overlooking the Cumberland River (according to Google Maps) or Lake Cumberland (according to all signs on the roads). Alas, the deck doesn't open until later in the day. The reception lady took us to a nice table by the window with a lovely view of the River/Lake. Claude watched several boats towing skiers. The silly thing was the skiers were in the water literally being drug around. Not up on their skies enjoying the ride. They must do water skiing a little differently in this part of the land. 
We ordered the crab cakes for an appetizer. Two come with the order and that worked nicely for us share one order. They were yummy. I ordered Naples Chicken and Claude ordered a Guthrie Burger. My check was a chicken breast stuffed with three kinds of cheese and spinach served over a bed of linguini with marinara sauce and alfredo sauce. Very good. Way too much food. 
Strike 7 for a Good Birthday!!

Time to point the Jeep to Georgetown. On the way I order our son a pizza to be delivered to his home. Jake is in the middle of a job situation and this week was particularly unnerving. He was very, very grateful for his pizza. 

Jake called and we talked as Claude and I drove home. He sang Happy Birthday to me. Strike 8 for a Good Birthday!! We had a good visit. They delivered his pizza as we got into our driveway. 

Claude and I determined we would eat the ice cream that was in the freezer for dessert and watch movies. I picked "On Golden Pond" first and then we watched "Out of Africa". Clearly two chick-flicks but both very good movies. Strike 9 for a Good Birthday!!

At 11pm we were headed to bed. I had the best birthday. Just like I wanted. Quality time with my best beau, enjoying what God created for us to live in, dining on good food, seeing something we have never seen before. It was a perfect day. Happy Birthday to me!!

Saturday, July 31st, we awoke and determined how to fill this day. We have not attended one baseball game this summer. We enjoy them. The Lexington Legends were in town. Claude purchased us tickets. We decided we would work at our various tasks and leave at about 5:30pm. 

Late in the afternoon, a delivery was made of our bar stools. We both determined there was place in our kitchen for two bar stools. I searched the internet and came across some that would come close to matching the kinds of wood in our kitchen and dining room. They also had backs on them that resembled the backs on our dining room chairs. I ordered them and did not expect them for another week. What a pleasant surprise to receive them early. The first picture is the chairs in their new home. The second picture shows them in relationship to the dining room table and chairs. 
We did that and, with rain threatening, we headed to the ballpark. I have to say, with our new home located where it is, we are loving being able to get on Payne's Depot Road and drive straight to I-64 to get to Lexington. It feels like it is our own private road and freeway entrance and exit to return home. Way cool. 

It did sprinkle on us some. Enough to get our clothes damp. But not enough to go to the Jeep and get umbrellas. 

There was a motorcycle club that road their bikes into the park and around the field. The parked on the 1st base side. Then they all carried an enormous flag onto the field and unrolled it. They would hold it out and wave it while the National Anthem was sung.
The other fun thing about this game started for us in the parking lot. As we pulled in to the parking lot to find a place to park the Jeep, I noticed a group of men taking their shirts off. Some of them didn't have the bodies for this display. I also noted they were painting letters on their chests. Okay. This was interesting. As they game started, the emcee announced the groups that had purchased tickets that night. As each group was announced, the people from that group cheered for their group. The last group announced explained the men in the parking lot. They were a bachelor party!! The letters on their backs spelled 'GO LEGENDS'. They were enjoying a few beers so they were great fun to watch. 
As the game wore on, they turned around so we could read their stomachs. Their stomachs spelled 'BACHELOR!' Claude and I are pretty sure the ! was the bachelor.
They were entertaining when the music to YMCA was played. By that time they had a few more beers in them and they were partying hardy. 

Our team lost but it was a good game. Great fun to be out in the air. We consumed two burgers, two hot dogs, one nachos, two soft pretzels, and two sodas. I ate the nachos, a pretzel and drank a soda. Claude enjoyed all the rest. 

Today has been a nice Sunday. I think I will totally enjoy my new calling as the 2nd Counselor in Primary. Very relaxed place and the kids are wonderful. 

We did pretty well for starting a new normal. We will tweek this as we progress. Today we discussed using Monday evening to do our scripture reading. We both missed that part of our pandemic quarantined routine. Life is good in our little cottage in Georgetown!!

No comments:

Post a Comment