Friday, November 18, 2022

Our Trip to the Amazon...Manaus, Sunday

Sunday, November 6th, we had a full day in Manaus, Brazil. Most of our tour group opted to spend the day at the hotel and roam around the beach and pool. Claude and me, Roxana and Bruce and our tour guide, Nataniel, opted to go to Church in the morning. We would attend the Gloria Ward of the Amazonas Stake. 
This being the first Sunday of the month, it was Fast and Testimony meeting. This is usually held the first Sunday of every month. Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints fast from two consecutive meals and donate the amount they would have spent on food to the Church. This money is designated for helping those in a less fortunate situation. This Sunday, Sacrament Meeting is for the members to come to the pulpit and bear their testimony if they so choose. As we got to that portion of the meeting, Nataniel leaned over to Claude and me and told us he would be willing to translate for us if we wished to bear our testimony. I had a strong impression I should bear my testimony. Bruce, who speaks fluent Portuguese after serving a mission in Brazil as a young man and then going back with his wife, Roxana, to serve a mission together, bore his testimony first. The members were quick to get up to bear their testimony. I leaned over to Nataniel and asked if we could go. We both got up and went to the pulpit. I bore my testimony in short sentences and Nataniel translated after each sentence. I was a sweet experience. A few people later a sister got up and bore her testimony. I was sitting by Bruce. As she spoke, Bruce leaned over to me and explained that her testimony was about the gift of tongues. She had been trying to learn English and felt very insecure about her abilities. As I bore my testimony, she understood every word of English. She now felt confident in using English. At the end of her testimony, she looked right at me and said, "I understood every word in English." I felt tears well up in my eyes. I am sure the Lord wanted me to bear my testimony so this sister could have a confirming experience. I felt a great love for her. After the meeting, she came up to me and introduced herself as Kel Guedes Garcia. We had a very long hug. I told her she felt like a kindred spirit to me and I felt a great deal of love for her. She expressed the same for me. We exchanged names and became Facebook friends. I asked if we could take a picture together. She agreed.
I then asked to find Primary. She showed me where it was. I visited and greeted all the kiddos as they were having their snacks. Smiles and waves as I left. They speak no English and I speak no Portuguese but a good feeling was there with these little ones. 
The five of us attended the adult Sunday School class as they studied Daniel 1-6 in the Old Testament. Claude and I followed on our phones with the Gospel Library App. Nataniel would make sure we were on the correct verse. Claude and I found ourselves marking our scriptures even though the lesson was in a language we do not understand. It was a wonderful lesson. 

After Church, we went back to the hotel and changed into our play clothes and went for a walk along Av Coronel Teixeira which is the main road along the beach area of Rio Negro. We were in search of a food truck for lunch. 

There are trees with fruits on them everywhere. And lots of trees have termite or ants nests in them. 
Along the part of the beach that appears in postcards of Manaus, we paused to get a picture of us in front of the Manaus sign. If you look closely over Claude's right shoulder, you can see the Manaus Bridge in the background.
We came to one food truck that sold ice cream treats with this picture on the front. Bruce and Roxana are very familiar with Brazilian food and this was one of their favorites. It was beastly hot on this walk so we each purchased a treat to enjoy. It was sooooo good, we stopped on our walk back to the hotel for another. 
This arch if visible with the beach below from the water. It really is part of the Manaus postcard views. Nataniel told us it was a portal to the world. I asked if he meant a port key like in Harry Potter. He told me Harry Potter is not as big a deal in Brazil as it is elsewhere in the world. But, yes, this was something like that. When we drove by in the evening, they had strings of Christmas lights from the top arch all the way up the steps that serve as seating for events to the top. It was beautiful.
We finally found Amazon Burger. I saw this food truck from the bus as we drove past. Claude loves a burger. We opted to try here. They sold other foods as well. I, of course, ordered beans and rice. It was delicious. Roxana and Bruce also introduced us to Guarana. It is a soda pop that is a lot like ginger ale or Ale8, if you are from Kentucky. Very popular in this area and Brazil in general. I was happy I took this picture of the soda pop. When on our cruise ship, I could show them the picture and they knew what I wanted. 
On our walk back, we found a little lizard. 
Once back to our room, we enjoyed another sunset on the Rio Negro before heading to the restaurant for dinner. 
In the restaurant, I took this photo of the condiments at our table. They are in Portuguese. 
Once back to our room, I received a message from Kel. She wanted to know how the picture I took turned out. I quickly sent her a copy via Messenger. Then she asked if she could post about us. I assured her that was okay. Here is her post.

"What a privilege today (in the testimony meeting) to have met this dear sister together with her husband. What a sweet spirit she has! 💕 Her testimony has strengthened mine in a significant way. I know that personal witness is fundamental to our faith and that by testifying about the Savior Jesus Christ and His divinity the Holy Spirit will confirm in our hearts the truth of all these things. Just as I also believe in the gift of interpretation of languages. Miracles happen and prayers are answered No doubt about it." 

Kel also included with her post this quote from Pres. Ezra Taft Benson. 
I am so grateful for these tender moments. The Gospel is true and we have friends all around the world. 

I was asked by another of our group, Shari, at the end of our tour what my favorite thing was about the trip. I didn't hesitate. Sunday was my best day and going to Church and meeting Kel was my best experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment