Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Good, The Bad, and the Really Ugly!!!

We have filled another December week to the top. The Good: I had a great lunch on Tuesday with some of the ladies in my neighborhood. I've joined the Countryside Homemakers Club. The December meeting is a lunch and it was just delightful. We also had the 'Assisted Living' group from the Church over Friday night for a social. We watched Alaska pictures and ate and visited and finished the evening with viewing the Luke II video with Amy Grant singing "Breathe of Heaven" during the video. This is most moving and our bishop went home and found a version on You Tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icilgwdHiZg is the link. I had a seminary teacher share this with us years ago and I think Christmas isn't Christmas without viewing it at least once. Very tender. Then Saturday evening our block had a little holiday get-together and welcomed the 2 newest families to our neighborhood. There are only 15 houses in our development. It was really good to catch up on these good people's lives and share some time with them. We live in a quiet little neighborhood and it is just a really friendly spot to live. Today was a good day at Church and we came home tired from a full week and yet refreshed by the gospel experience. The Bad: I had an older crown that never quite fit close to the gum. My dentist here said 4 years ago at my first cleaning that eventually I would get a decay because I can't really get it clean even with flossing. Sure enough this last cleaning the x-ray showed a cavity. So the decision was made to make a new crown and fill the bad spot. Tuesday of this week I went in for what I thought was just removing the temporary crown and cementing the new crown in place. But alas, the new crown didn't fit to the gum either so more pictures were taken and new impressions were made and this crown was returned to the 'crown-maker' with the pictures to try and get it right. The bad part was I had already been in for a 2nd set of impressions and this made the 3rd. They also worked on that poor bit of tooth and trying to get this crown to fit without the benefit of deadening juice so I was really sore on that part of my mouth for a couple of days. Hopefully the 3rd time will be a charm. Now for the UGLY! While preparing for the high priest social on Friday, Claude and I were finishing the prep work in the kitchen. We work very well together in the kitchen if I do the cleaning while he cooks. I used my food processor to crush up Oreos for truffles. I didn't use the slicer portion of the food processor but I washed it anyway with the other pieces before storing them away. I had the slicer in the dish drainer on the counter and determined I needed to dry the things there to make way for the next round of dishes I wanted to wash by hand. I picked up the piece that is a slicer on one side and a grater on the other but didn't pay attention to how I was holding it. You guessed it by now...I felt it catch on the end of my middle finger and the stop before I realized I had really cut the end of my middle finger in a bad way. I quickly started the cold water and put my hand under to clean the wound. The blood was prolific. Nissa, I hope I don't offend you when I said to myself, "This must be how Nissa feels!!" I finally called to Claude and told him I thought I needed assistance. He came to the kitchen and then went to gather lots of gauze and tape. The end result was the mother of all bandages. I looked at that middle finger and laughed at how I would greet my guests that evening with this huge middle finger pointing at them. It continued to bleed and Claude took over the food work and I tried to continue to help without touching that poor finger. It is much better now and I think it will heal okay. But it is really UGLY!! Now...let's see what we can get into this next week!!

1 comment:

  1. So mom,..... I take it you don't have everything under control either. TEE-HEE! Yep that is sure how I feel. :-)

    ReplyDelete