Friday, August 26, 2011

The Sands of Time Are Slowly Trickling Down...

Thursday, Thursday...(In my head I'm hearing the Mama's and Papa's singing Monday, Monday)

This was to be a day at home with Paul and Aubrey. The plan was to watch TV and eat junk food and rest up for the day after our two day road trip.

In the morning Claude laid out two of my old birdhouses that needed to be repainted. He put out paints and his brushes. I pulled out my acrylic craft paints and brushes. Old t-shirts we donned. And the process began.
 

 And the finished products were...

In the afternoon Aubrey and I headed out to do some items on my 'to do' list.

First we went to the Swygart's. They have just recently moved into our ward (Church congregation). The family will be speaking on Sunday and their little daughter will sing the special musical number. They needed someone to play the piano for her and I agreed to do that. We were going to practice with Savannah. While I practiced, Aubrey ready stories to her little sister. It was a wonderful visit.

Then Aubs and I headed to Sonic. One of the items on her 'to do' list while visiting was to go to Sonic for ice cream. We drove through and Aubrey got her ice cream dream fulfilled while I got a soda to quench my thirst.

We pointed the red Buick toward the nursing home next. We visited with Mimi in her room. I read her some things from the Ensign (Church magazine). Then the CNA's came to put her in her wheelchair for dinner. After they got her in her wheelchair and combed her hair, we kept her in her room to visit for a bit more. Mimi actually made eye contact with Aubrey twice and me once. She grinned each time she actually looked into our faces. This is such a high for me. As Mimi drifts further into Alzheimer's these times are fewer and farther between. I love it when it happens and was especially grateful it happened for Aubrey.
Our next stop was Papa's apartment. He had a twin size air mattress he purchased for road trips. We were looking at getting one for Hayden to have under his sleeping bag when he visits. Papa suggested we take his and use it and he will borrow it back when he takes a road trip. Aubrey deflated the air mattress and we packed it in the car and headed for our next errand.

Walmart, lovely, lovely Walmart...the mall of Georgetown. We were very focused. We had our little list and stuck to it and managed to get in and out in pretty short order.

The evening was spent watching movies and just unwinding. I always find it interesting what the kids find to entertain themselves. I have several shelves of toys and things for kids and some plastic drawers full of stuff. This time I found Paul making a castle like structure for Hayden and Bailey's visit out of the cardboard brick blocks. Aubrey found the plastic tub of PlayDoh and was enjoying it. I thought before they came that I needed to be sure I have stuff that the kids might like as they get older. They seem to enjoy what was already there. Fun.

Today is preparation day for their return home and the arrival of more family tonight. Sleeping arrangements had to be made for everyone coming which meant moving where Aubrey and Paul have been sleeping.

To facilitate this in an orderly manner (I'm nothing if not orderly), I had them each bring the bag I gave them to pack for their road trip on Tuesday and Wednesday. Then I told them to repack those bags with everything they would need today, Saturday and Sunday. They were each given a container for dirty clothes and instructed to go through their clothes and pick out anything that needed washing at all. They were to place that in the dirty clothes container. Then they were to pack everything they didn't need between now and departure on Sunday in their luggage and close it not to be opened until they got home. They were to strip their beds of sheets so the linens could be washed for the coming family. They set to work accomplishing these tasks while I hit my treadmill.

Paul finished and started his laundry. He vacuumed the basement while Aubrey got her laundry upstairs. I took them to the things I knew they missed in their packing so that, hopefully, everything is packed and nothing will need to be mailed after they leave. Yep, we had all things in order and were ready to let Pa (Claude) blow up the additional air mattresses needed for sleeping arrangements tonight. Snacks were served and it was time to relax an watch another movie while we kept the washing going and I did my picture editing and Blogging.

This afternoon there was a beautiful breeze and a great empty hill...time for flying kites. Paul grabbed the Pterydactyl and Aubrey grabbed the butterfly and out the headed. I missed Paul's kite but here is Aubrey's butterfly kite.
After kites, Claude taught Paul how to cook up hot dogs in the skillet. Aubrey learned how to make fresh salsa from the tomatos in the garden. Yummy treat for everyone tomorrow.
Tonight we will head into Lexington and meet the Marx family at Rupp Arena to go to the Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus.

We'll have a great family day tomorrow. Claude is starting to smoke a brisket tonight for a big family lunch tomorrow. Papa will join us for the day.  

It has been a good visit. Hopefully the kids have enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment