Thursday, August 6, 2015

Sandi on a Pedestal...

Thank you Big Guy!!

While reworking the flower beds on our hill, I requested something to sit on while I weed. This is a steep hill and a tough one to care for. 

Claude made two nice flower beds with a steps between them going to his 'altar' a few years ago. This summer he defined the sides and lower edges with new stone blocks. They look so nice and I love having a real edge to the flower bed. 

We talked about how to get me some seating. After putting up the walls, Claude suggested, and I felt best about, using the same kind of stone to make three little seats in each of the two beds. Claude put some stones in each side and I placed them where I thought they would work the best. Then Claude went back down and used some special gravel to set them in place. This is one flower bed on one side. Now I can be 'on a pedestal' as I do battle with the multitudinous amount of weeds that can grow on the hill. Next I'll plant some more flowers in the bare areas. 
While I was weeding last Saturday morning. I started with the beds on the side of our lot. There are three beds. After filling two bags with weeds, I heard the gentle rumble of Claude and his tractor coming my way. I gave him the two bags and he took them with him back up the hill.  I started on the third bag and filled it before heading down to weed the tier with the bench and then do the two flower beds lower on the hill. 

Not wanting to have to carry that bag around, I just tossed it up the hill so I could pick it up closer to the house when I came back up the hill with whatever bags I filled doing the other areas. 

While weeding the tier with the concrete bench, I noticed something roll past me. It was my bag of weeds. I just laughed. Despite my best efforts to be efficient that bag rolled right past me and on down the hill to the ledge where we are trying to grow some columbine. Geez!!  It was very amusing and I did enjoy the laughter. 
I believe I shall call the two flower beds my 'Pedestal Garden'.

No comments:

Post a Comment