Saturday, September 5, 2015

Odds & Ends...

The new sofa is coming! The new sofa is coming!  

I know...not quite as profound as 'The British are coming!' but it does sound good to me just the same.

About six weeks ago, Claude and I started looking for a new sofa and love seat. We found one at Haverty's in Lexington. We didn't like the fabric. Wonder of Wonders, you can pick your fabric and they will make the sofa in that fabric for you. You just have to be willing to wait for it to arrive.  Now, sofa buying is not a do or die situation. Waiting is definitely an option. Claude and I combed the rack of fabric samples until we found one we both really, really liked. The nice lady brought up the sofa on her computer and overlaid it with the fabric choice. We pronounced it good and placed our order. 

Thursday morning I received a phone call saying the sofa was there and we could schedule delivery. They only deliver to Sadieville on Wednesday and they only are here in the afternoon since the items will be at the back of their truck. Okay.  How about Wednesday afternoon?  Checked my calendar which also displays Claude's calendar and figured we could do it this Wednesday. Yippee!!

Next, what to do with the current sofa and love seat. I took pictures of them and posted on Facebook that we were looking for a nice family to take ownership of our lovely possessions. Within minutes I had a phone call from a friend who really wanted this furniture. Yippee again!!

Today Mike came and picked up the sofa and love seat.  Now we have some big empty spaces in our living room. Claude is going to vacuum the floor where they sat and move two other chairs in the places where we sit.  That will have to suffice until Wednesday when the new sofa and love seat arrive.  Can we hear a third Yippee!! 

This week I received a message on Facebook from a friend from my Louisiana days. Claude and I moved from there in 1971. Donna asked if I might like to join a closed Facebook page named 'S'port 1st & 2nd Ward 1970-1980'.  The Shreveport, Louisiana 1st Ward is the congregation I belonged to when I was a child until Claude and I moved away.  I thanked Donna profusely and found the page on Facebook and requested to join. 

The second picture on this page was of my family when I was a little girl. A picture I did not have and am so very happy to get.
My parents are on the back row: Vernon and Virginia Lawrence.  One the front row are: Junie, Neffie and Sandi. I'm guessing I might be about 10 years old here. I remember the skirts and blouses Junie and I are wearing. My mother made them for us. What a treasure to find this great picture.

I have gone through a lot of the S'port 1st & 2nd Ward 1970-1980 Facebook page. I've saved the pictures that my father might enjoy seeing and will put them on my Kindle to share with him tomorrow. What a fun trip down memory lane we will have when we visit tomorrow.

I realized as I posted a few pictures I have, that I'm really older that the dates for this page. That simply means I was married in 1970 and Claude and I moved to California in 1971.  I'm not going to have much to share about being in Shreveport during the dates on this Facebook page. But the pictures I posted were welcomed by those who have seen them. Children seeing pictures of their parents or teachers when they were much younger. To me this is the best part of Facebook.  You can communicate and share with lots of people at one time the memories and pictures of your past and remember and enjoy.  

Happy Donna shared this page with me and look forward to seeing what others continue to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment