Sunday, April 23, 2017

Easter Prayer Answered...

My drive from Sadieville to Georgetown for Church is about 20 minutes. On Sunday morning as I drive I like to use that time to have a little talk with Heavenly Father. No radio, just quiet and time to pray. One of the things on a Sunday I ask is to have at least one good moment when I feel the Spirit. As I get to Church, I know what I have asked for and I try to put myself in the frame of mind and heart to receive an answer to that prayer. Easter Sunday morning I talked with Heavenly Father on the way to Church and asked for that blessing. It was answered many fold for me. 

The talks were absolutely wonderful. In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the members are invited to give the talks on Sunday. This time they speakers were asked to speak about the Atonement and specifically the 'enabling power' of the Atonement. This helps us to accomplish more than we ever could on our own. This is the mercy of Christ in our lives. 

The Primary children sang a beautiful special number. When all those little children under 12 years of age come and fill the stand and sing the words of gospel truth, there is always a strengthening of the Spirit. Even Papa, who can't understand the words they sing due to his deafness, is always touched deeply by the children singing.

And, for me, one of the most tender moments in that meeting was the Sacrament. We have the Sacrament every Sunday. The young boys 12-13 years of age are deacons and they pass the Sacrament. The young men 16-17 years of age are priests and they bless the Sacrament. Easter Sunday there were two Down Syndrome young men passing the Sacrament. I remember a time in my life when it was felt you couldn't do much with a child with Down Syndrome. And, yet, here were two young men passing the Sacrament to each member of the congregation. Spencer had the assistance of one of the other deacons to be able to know exactly where to stand and what to do. Jack had the help of an older priesthood brother that is called to be Jack's helper every Sunday. Jack loves Joe Morey. Joe is the father of four daughters. He has no sons. And yet, in his infinite wisdom, the Lord has provided him with an opportunity to help a young man learn to officiate in the office of deacon in the Priesthood. Very, very tender. Sis. Gibert was sitting in front of Papa and I and was wearing a large brimmed white hat. Jack was doing everything just right, which is amazing in itself as Jack is really full of energy and it takes a lot for him to stay focused. He has a great zest for life and it just spills over in everything he does. He stood at the end of the pew while the Sacrament was being passed down the short pew and as he stood there he realized Sis. Gibert had on this great white hat. He looked at it for a moment and then his zest for life took over. He patted Sis. Gibert on the head and said, "Nice hat!" We all smiled and Jack went back into reverent mode to continue his service passing the Sacrament. One of the priests is severely Autistic. A couple of years ago he might not even have come to Church. But he has embraced his Autism and is working very hard to deal with it in a way that he learns to interact with people. The young men are super at including him and helping him with this very hard goal. Ian was kneeling giving the blessing on the bread or water. I was just touched at what a miracle the Church is for people. These three young men simply helped me to see how the Church enables us to be more that we possibly could without it. How the love and care of other members supports us in our struggles to become what Heavenly Father wants us to be. It is a Church of miracles. 

This was a great Sunday. Not because it was Easter, although that helped I am sure. But because the answer to a little prayer on the way to Church was answered on so many levels in such a profound manner. Filled my cup and I still am uplifted every time I think of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment