Sunday, April 23, 2017

From Bridges to Diamonds...

Friday, April 21st, Papa had a doctor's appoint with Dr. Thomas, his cardiologist. It was at 1pm. I got him to the doctor and he did fine. In fact, Dr. Thomas said he doesn't need to come for 6 months this time. Yippee!! 

Friday is the day I usually purchase more bananas, milk and/or bread for Papa to get him through the weekend. He only needed bananas this time, so I asked Papa if he would mind sitting in the car so I could run into Kroger and get him some bananas. No problem at all. He loves anything that takes him out of the apartment. As I went into the store, I felt that I should take Papa for a little drive. It was about 2pm now and Claude was going to pick me up at 4pm. So, I didn't have much time. Where could we drive for a brief ride. Then it occurred to me, Claude has been asked to suggest a route the bicyclists could take from Sadieville to Stamping Ground on back roads. Claude knows Papa and I drive those roads a lot and he asked for my help. I would just drive some of those and get some ideas.

I got back out to my car and suggested to Papa we go for a brief drive. I had to emphasize 'brief' because he likes the rides that are 5-6 hours. Papa was very happy with the idea so we set out on an unplanned drive. I decided about half way through to take Switzer Road. We had actually done this road on our last ride a week before but going the opposite direction on it. In doing that, I missed this great photo moment with Papa. But Friday, I did not miss the photo op and it was a very nice one for him.

Franklin County has only one covered bridge left. There used to 400 in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. I found a website that showed 12 in Kentucky now. I think I'll make that a potential driving tour for Papa and me this summer. The Franklin County covered bridge is in Switzer. 

We did a brief walk from where I was able to park to the bridge. You can't drive over. My hope was to get Papa to stand by the bridge for a picture. He is very unsteady on his feet and I didn't want him falling. We got him up the little hill to the end of the bridge and I turned to go back out enough to get a picture of him and the bridge. When I turned around to take the picture, He was already starting to come down that hill by himself. He didn't seem to remember I asked him to stand still for the picture. I quickly took a picture and then ran to hold him arm and walk back to the car with him. He loved the spot though.
Claude came and picked me up at Papa's and we headed out for our date. Claude had picked a place for dinner and kept it a surprise until we got there. There is an Outlet Mall in Simpsonville, Kentucky. They have a Johnny Rockets. This is where we had dinner. Look at these cute bowls placed in front of us for our catsup!
We browsed a store in the Outlet Mall for a bit and then headed to Louisville. We had tickets to see Neil Diamond. The concert was to being at 8pm. However, this is lead up to Derby Day and Louisville was having Thunder Over Louisville this weekend. Several roads we might normally take to get into downtown and the Yum Center were noted on the Thunder Over Louisville website as being closed Friday and Saturday. We left ample time to wander until we could get to a parking spot which might be a bit of a struggle with all that would be going on. That went well and we found a great spot and had 45 minutes till concert time.

We went in and found our seats and were very pleased with them. When it was time for the concert to begin and the lights went dim, this huge Yum Center was packed, cell phones came out with their flashlights shining and everyone stood up as Neil Diamond entered.
He had all of us from the very beginning. He sang for two straight hours with no intermission, just him and his band and two sisters that are the backup singers. It was a bit of heaven.
When he finished, he came back for an encore of four songs. The first was Sweet Caroline. He must have done the chorus three times at least, maybe four. We all just sang and repeated phrases. It was great. He also did Coming to America. 

Neil Diamond is still in great voice. He can still fill a huge venue. His music seems perfect for that large a group. It seems even better in that setting. 

We left the Yum Center and it was starting to rain. Claude drove in rain back to Georgetown where I had to pick up my car from Papa's. I had a break in the rain getting home from Papa's. Then it started up again. But we had a wonderful day on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment