Wednesday, July 17, 2019

And We're Walking...Again...and Again...

We participated in two 5K Walks (we don't run) in the past month. The first was held at the Kentucky Horse Park on Saturday, June 29. It was to celebrate the life of Man O'War, a very famous race horse. We finished in about an hour which is what we wanted. This was a lovely walk all around the Horse Park and through the campground. 
The second was on July 4th at Buffalo Trace Distillery in Frankfort, Kentucky. This is my favorite distillery. First one I toured in Kentucky and totally enjoyed their tours. So for me, this was a walk I looked forward to a lot. The walk was called Buffalo Chase and would take us over the whole campus. Claude would finish in 57 minutes and I finished in 58 1/2 minutes. We both felt really good about that. We had to park a mile away from the registration and then walk another mile to the start line. That my be a slight exaggeration but we felt like that as we walked to the race, then registration and then back to the car after. Truly felt like we walked a 10K. I assured Claude I would never wear a tutu and wings. Not happening, ever. Can you tell which picture that comment came from? Claude cracked himself up at one point when he realized he was walking thru a stop sign (instead of driving thru at stop sign). Can you tell which picture that is? We are old and these things make us laugh. It was a good morning but we were really happy to make it back to the Jeep!!
I find it interesting that we are walking with hundreds of people but it still like it is just the two of us on a lark. 

The next walk we are registered for is the Alzheimer's Walk on September the 21st. Claude and I have agreed to walk the God and Country 5K to benefit veterans and God's Pantry in Lexington on November 9th. So we will have at least two more 5K's this year. 

The partner story with these walks are my poor feet. In 2002 we did a driving tour of New England. It was an absolutely amazing adventure. It was in October and the leaves we all changing. Super trip. However...isn't there always a 'however'...we opted to wear matching black sneakers. We purchased these when we were in the Gold Wing Road Riders Association (GWRRA) and Claude was a director so we worked a lot of rally's. We got really good sneakers to help with all that walking you did to keep the rally going. Well, when we were on Cape Cod we walked out to a lighthouse on a sandy trail. When we got back to our car, I told Claude my toes really, really hurt. Took of those wonderful sneakers to find my toes were very bruised. I have long second toes and they particularly were bad. Fortunately, I had sandals so I wore those with my socks the rest of the trip. However,..there it goes again...when I wear close toed shoes for long periods of time my toes get really sore again. When we did that first 5K this summer, they really hurt. When we did the second 5K I had bruises under my toenails on those long second toes. I told Claude I loved the walk but really needed to find an answer for my feet. I started a search online for good walking shoes that were open-toed. I ordered some Teva sandals. They didn't come in for the Kentucky Horse Park walk so I wore my Clark sandals. They have good cushioning and I did better with the toe situation. Then my Teva's came in and I wore them for the Buffalo Chase walk. These will be great. They are definitely made for that kind of exercise. I did wear a blister on my big toe but I can put a bandaid on before the next walk and I will be fine. 
And we walked and we walked and we walked...

Addendum: One of the bad things not Blogging more often is that I forget some of the things I wanted to put in the Blog when the event happened. Did that with this Blog and so I come back with another paragraph. We are each getting a t-shirt for each walk we do if we register early enough. Now, neither of us really needs another t-shirt. So I suggested to Claude that I could make a quilt out of them at some point. Then I had one of my 'flashes of intellect' and I told Claude I should make two twin size quilts so we could each have one when we are in the nursing home. We both laughed at that idea!!

No comments:

Post a Comment