Thursday, November 11, 2021

Getting Ready to Travel...

Sunday, October 31st, Addendum: Claude and I were ready for those trick-or-treaters. I had polled many neighbors in the area to be sure of what to expect so we would be ready. My answers were that the kids start to come a little early and it is a steady stream for two hours. We had many large bags of candy to give out. We had my pumpkin platter filled with candy on the gossip bench ready to give out candy. Extra bags were there to refill that dish. I had on my Halloween sweater I have worn for 20 years. Claude turned on all the outside lights. Harry Potter the Deathly Hallows Part 1 was starting. We curled up in our living room at the back of the house and waited for the doorbell to ring. Trick-or-treating was supposed to be from 6pm to 8pm in Georgetown. Finally, at 6:30pm we had not had one kid ring our doorbell. I got up and went to look out the study window. There were kids on the street but the walked right past our home. Why? Then I looked a little closer. The two neighbors homes I can see from the window had their garage doors open, the garage lights on, and they were sitting in their folding chairs with a little table with their candy dishes on it. The kids walked up the driveway and took candy. No doorbells were being rung. To be sure, I went to our bathroom and looked further up our street and saw another house doing this. I called Claude to the study window so he could observe as I explained how things were done on Anne Jennings Way. We got two dining room chairs, turned on the garage inside light and brought out a tv tray. We set ourselves up in the table and chairs and the trick-or-treaters did come. We missed the initial big run and, as a consequence, have several large bags of candy left over. Thus goeth the lesson. We will know next Halloween. This picture is my neighbor, Catherine Meo, with her daughter, Jennifer and grandson. 
Monday, November 1st, I am going to include one things I am thankful for each day of my Blog entries for November. There are always more things than one that I am thankful for each day. 

Monday, Claude had us scheduled to get our Covid-19 booster shot at CVS Pharmacy at 10am. We had a cute encounter with the nurse as we did this. She had to take our temperatures first. Claude was the first one to have this done. As she waved the thermometer across his forehead I said, "Is he normal?" This was followed by peals of laughter. Next she waved the thermometer across my forehead and Claude said, "Is she hot?" This was again followed by more peals of laughter. The nurse was enjoying herself, which was nice. I sent a message to our family assuring them Claude and I will be 'that kind' of parent when they have to care for us. Prepare yourselves!

We dropped a treat bag off for Papa at the nursing home and did a little bit of grocery shopping before returning home. The rest of the day was very low-key. We read our Book of Mormon and our Come, Follow Me lesson. I sent the eMail to remind Primary kids parents they are to give a talk or read the Article of Faith this Sunday. We took a nice nap. That kind of thing. 

I had a truly tender experience as we were reading our Come, Follow Me materials. The scripture block was Doctrine & Covenants 125-128. As we were reading Section 128, I had the feeling of blessings being poured out on our home. I knew it was because we were consistently reading the scriptures. I knew it was me being aware that my Savior is aware of me individually and knows of Claude and my efforts to do what is right. It lasted for a good while, this feeling of blessing pouring down on our home. I love these moments and hold them dear. 

Monday, I am thankful for the Lord's hand in the details of my life.

Tuesday, November 2nd, was a day we left empty in case we had side-effects from the booster shots. Claude did not. I did. This was pretty much how it was when we had the second vaccination. I had one really different reaction this time. I had a sore shoulder on Monday where the injection was given. Tuesday, I had a lump at the bottom of my armpit. Thankfully I was prepared to be inside and quiet all day Tuesday. I did managed to do some things I had to do at my computer. I enjoyed reading with Claude and reading my Lord of the Rings book. I even crocheted a few snowflakes. In the evening I enjoyed a texting session with Jacob, our son.

Tuesday, I am thankful for a peaceful home where I like to just be.

Wednesday, November 3rd, I awoke to frost on my neighbors across the street cars. They don't keep them in their garages. This, I don't understand. 

Wednesday morning was filled with reading and doing things in our home. 

Wednesday afternoon, I called the nursing home to be sure I could take Papa out for a drive. Neil, the administrator, gave permission for me to do that. I took Papa on a drive. Along the way I missed the turn I wanted to take. I drove on down a good way knowing there was another turn in that direction but not sure where it ended up. This meant our drive would be longer and I had concerns about getting Papa back to the nursing home before 4pm. The front office staff sometimes shuts down by then and it is really easier to get him in and out if they are in their offices. I found a place to pull over to the side of the road and checked Google maps to be sure how far out of the way this road would take us. I found another good road to get us back where I wanted us to be and we took that. We would still be out longer but it would work out okay...I hoped. As we drove, I had this peaceful feeling come over me that maybe this was a blessing. With Covid-19 in the nursing home, I was not allowed in to visit Papa and would not be for at least a week more. This missed turned would give him more time out of the nursing home and me more time with Papa. I felt then that, if something did go wrong for Papa, at least we would have this extra time together. I felt peace and was happy with that missed turn. 

Wednesday evening we had the missionaries over for dinner. Claude served Frito Supper, peas & cheese salad, home canned pickles and I served crumb pie for dessert. We had a good meal and a good visit. It is always nice to have these young men come into our home.

I found an article on Facebook about a man who predicted the weather using his Japanese Maple tree. I believe that is the correct item. He had a formula worked out and was supposed to be pretty accurate. He has passed away but he gave his secret formula to his family and they carry on his tradition of predicting the winter weather. Just for fun...here is their prediction for this winter. 
Wednesday, I am thankful for inspiration to see a bigger plan than I could think of on my own.

Thursday, November 4th, started out with reading. Then I got up to prepare for a trip to Michigan. I had a load of laundry to fold, ironing to do, laptop work to do, packing to do, a couple of Christmas presents to wrap, etc., etc., etc. While sitting at my desk working on my laptop, all that was tossed into the air. 

I received a telephone call from Jessie at the nursing home. It was the call I never wanted to receive. Papa tested positive for Covid-19. They gave him two of the quick tests and both were positive. They also did one of the tests that takes several days to get the results. They didn't have any beds in their covid unit so they would have to look for place in another facility. I had taken him out for a drive on Wednesday. We were in my car together for 2 hours. It was suggested I get tested. They would call me later to let me know where Papa would be placed. Ugh!! What to do? What to do? 

Last week the nursing home had eight residents test positive. The beginning of this week they had 2 more residents test positive and four staff were positive. The good news from Jessie was all these patients, while positive, were doing well. You see...all had been vaccinated. Boosters were given on Monday. It seems the vaccinations were really helping them through this hurdle. Hopefully it would be the same for Papa.

I contacted CVS Pharmacy and got right in for a covid test for me and set up one for Claude at 5pm. Mine came back negative.

I sent a text to my sisters letting them know. Then I continued to prepare for a trip after Claude and I talked about all the particulars of whether to go or whether to cancel. This trip was truly necessary. Our son needed us. The negative tests allowed us to feel comfortable proceeding with the trip. I would later find out that they had created more space in their covid unit. Papa would stay here in Georgetown in isolation for two weeks. This also made me feel better. It is very disorienting to be bounced around and not have the things that pass time for you around. At least they might bring some of his things for him to read. Maybe, if he feels bad, he will sleep a lot. It is truly hard not to be able to go in and explain to him what is happening. I wrote him a letter to explain what was going on.

Thursday Claude also finished setting all the stepping-stones for our back yard. This took him three days to do. It is very hard work. Tuesday I couldn't help because of side-effects from the booster shot. Wednesday I couldn't help because I took Papa for a car ride. Thursday I couldn't help because I was doing the inside things in case we got to make our trip. He was on his own. I think they turned out great! Can you find the three turtle stepping-stones?
Our tree guy also came on Sunday and leveled out the stumps at the base of one of our trees. Claude is now planning ways to put a wooden top on it. It will make a fun seat or table-type area. 
Thursday, I am thankful for medical help for Papa.

No comments:

Post a Comment