Sunday, October 31, 2021

Just a Plain Old Week...

Monday, October 25th, was a rainy day. We stayed home all day. We started our morning by reading our Book of Mormon together. During the day I read in my Lord of the Rings book, crocheted another snowflake or two, updated planting journal from Saturday plantings and paid Papa's bills. A totally not exciting day. But it was nice to be in this cozy home doing little things. 

Tuesday, October 26th, I did get the laundry and ironing done. We read our read the Book of Mormon together. I eMailed parents about Primary talks and reading of the Article of Faith assignments for their children. I also ordered some Christmas gifts. 

In the afternoon, I took Papa for a car ride. He is so appreciative of these outings. 

While I was out with Papa, Claude drilled holes in the concrete blocks and attached our cranes. Then he placed them by each of the gates to our backyard. They are so pretty. As the yard develops, they will be even more pretty. When we visited China, we learned the crane is an important symbol to them. It represents longevity and peace. It is the second most venerated bird after the Phoenix. Longevity and peace are worthy blessings for our home.
Wednesday, October 27th, we started our day by reading the Book of Mormon together. I wrapped a couple of little Christmas gifts. Then I picked out a dessert for our Sunday Self-Reliance Group. I will bake two Crumb Pies. 

Claude purchased tickets for us to go to Keeneland to watch the horses race. Keeneland has two meets each year. The Spring Meet in April and the Fall Meet in October. This was the last week for the fall meet. We don't really bet on the horses. But, we are improving in our ability to pick the right horse. Claude buys us a program and we each pick the horse we think will win. This time I picked one winner and Claude picked one winner. We each also picked a horse in second place. I picked one simply because it was named Ask Bailey. Our youngest grandmonster is Bailey. I was amazed that this horse led out at the beginning of the race. As she made the final turn, she began to fall back and actually ended up coming in last. It was delightful to sit in the stand and watch these magnificent animals run. Such is a Kentucky blessing.

After the races, we went to Firehouse Subs to eat. It was about half the price of a meal at Keeneland. Love the Firehouse Italian sub. Yummy.

The City of Sadieville posted a news article from their past. This was one when Claude was a City Commissioner and had the caboose restored and painted. This was a good thing. It later because the Polar Express each December as it is the only caboose in Scott County. The Baptist church next door to the caboose also used it each Sunday for a period of time for their children's class. 
Thursday, October 28th, I went to visit Papa. When I got there they quickly came into the lobby to tell me no visitors allowed. It seems eight residents tested positive for Covid-19. They have a special Covid Unit they have created at Signature HealthCare. These eight residents are in that unit and quarantined with separate care providers. Papa was not in that group of eight. The nursing home will now be closed to visitors for at least ten days. There is a possibility I can still take Papa out for a drive. But, I couldn't go in to visit him. When you consider there are only 50 beds in this nursing home, eight residents is a large percentage of their population. Very concerning. 

Claude had an appointment with Dr. Wilson, our dermatologist. Claude dropped me off to visit Papa while he had his doctor appointment and ran an errand to Lowe's. I called Claude and he picked me up and I sat in the car with my Kindle while he did his things. Then he got me a Blizzard from Dairy Queen. 

We came home and read our Book of Mormon together. Then I requested a refund for our Cirque du Soleil tickets. The show was to be mid-November at Eastern Kentucky University in Richmond, Kentucky. Such is the nature of Covid-19. I also made reservations for us in Chelsea, Michigan.

Katelyn posted these cute pictures of her three little ones in their Halloween costumes. They went to the Trunk-or-Treat at the Church. (Emelia, Raelyn and Joel)
Friday, October 29th, Claude had a phone appointment to set up his annuity. Yep, he reached the ripe old age of 72 in October. Now it is mandatory that he draw from this fund. It was practically painless to set it up. We will repeat this process in a year when I turn 72. Aging gracefully. Aging gracefully.

I had a Primary presidency meeting right after that. Then I took a treat bag to the nursing home for Papa. Too rainy to try and take him out for a drive. 

The final Oldham County High School football game was Friday night. Claude and I left and drove to Frankfort for a barbeque dinner. Then on to the football stadium. We dressed warmly, wore our coats with a hood, took umbrellas and rain ponchos and our stadium seats. We got to our seats with a light rain falling. We set up and the clouds opened and the rain poured. I sent Andie a text telling her we were at the 50 yard line and had seats for them when they arrived. They got to the stadium and found us. Andie said, "Michael and I were wondering why you came in all the rain. For us it is mandatory. For you it is a choice." I assured her it is what grandparents do. With the four of us bundled up and under umbrellas, we watched the first half of the game in a pouring rain. The band (which is why were there) never came out. It would have been their last half-time performance for the year. I was very concerned about all those expensive instruments being out in that rain. As half-time approached, Hayden sent a text to Michael and asked that he come and pick up him and Bailey. No half-time show because of all the rain. Andie and Michael stopped by the Jeep and picked up Hayden's birthday present. Then we got in our Jeep and drove in a pouring rain back to Georgetown. We get points for trying and we accomplished getting Hayden his birthday gift. Ugh!

Saturday, October 30th, was a rainy day. Another stay at home kind of day. It felt gloomy emotionally which was probably this rain for days. We read our Come, Follow Me lesson for Sunday. I cleaned the house. Claude made a crock pot full of goulash for dinner and put frozen bread out to rise. Then Claude took a nap and I curled up to read my Lord of the Rings books. I would work on this Blog and crochet in the evening.  

Sunday, October 31st, Happy Halloween!!

The Primary kids were full of energy. Then I reminded the president and other counselor and chorister that it was Halloween. That is enough to set the kids in motion. They were not bad, that sang well and participated well. They were just noticeably more full of energy. 

Claude and and were set apart in our callings. This is a special priesthood blessing given to someone to help them as they serve. 

We hurried home and baked two crumb pies to serve our guests at the Self-Reliance Emotional Resilience group this afternoon.  I have posted about this recipe before. It is a favorite of mine. The story about it is on the recipe. It is good.
Now we are all settled in and prepared to handout candy to trick-or-treaters. That is supposed to be between 6pm and 8pm. I am told they start earlier than that and it should be a steady stream for the entire time. So different than Sadieville. If we got 15 kids, we thought that was a lot. The second verse touched my heart. It reads:

God be with you till we meet again;
When life's perils thick confound you,
Put his arms unfailing round you.
God be with you till we meet again.

I could literally feel my Savior's love as we sang those two lines. I knew he loves me and cares about how I feel. What a blessing being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment