Wednesday, June 8, 2022

A Funeral...

Tuesday, June 7th, while we were on our little trip, we learned that a sweet friend passed away. This is someone we felt close enough to that we wanted to attend their service. Tuesday, from 4pm to 8pm was the viewing for Janet Kappes. We would travel to Morehead, Kentucky to attend this viewing. We would leave about 3pm. That left the morning to get things done after our trip. I would begin the laundry. Claude would take a Zoom training class for a new interest of his. Then we gave the rest of our day to driving to, attending, having dinner at Cracker Barrel, and returning home. The thing about these events, is you get to see people you haven't seen in a long while. The pandemic only exacerbated that. Hugs from Janet's girls and a brief chat with Keith, her hubby of 51 years, felt good and right for them and us. 

Wednesday, June 8th, was the funeral. We needed to leave our home around 11am. This gave us again a couple of hours to accomplish some of our home chores. Claude did a little grocery run. I did the mountain of ironing. Then we were off to Owingsville for the funeral. 
It was a sweet funeral. Janet had requested the last piece for prelude be a recording of Frank Sinatra singing "My Way". One of Janet's sisters gave the opening prayer. Keith spoke about his lovely wife and read the eulogy. Also speaking were Kelsey (a daughter), one of the sons, Kallie (a daughter) and Janet's sister from Utah. The grandchildren sang two songs. Then Bishop Nelson spoke. A good friend gave the closing prayer. There were three congregational hymns throughout the program. It all took about 1 1/2 hours. 

Janet and Keith had eight children. When they married, she was told she would have none. Surprised those doctors. Janet was always busy doing something for others. She was a school teacher by profession. But she was always reaching out to help others. Her children all shared what a perfect mother she was. Her boys were rascals and she was excellent with each of them. She has a lot of grandchildren. When we were at the viewing, Kourtney, a daughter, shared that one of the grandchildren said, "What about new pajamas at Christmas?" Kourtney assured me they would make that happen to honor their mother. 

I found myself in interesting territory. Papa passed away on May 15th and his funeral was May 19th. It hasn't been a month yet. I feel like I am on solid ground with all of that. Then yesterday, as we left the funeral home after the viewing, I found myself very quiet and reflective and on the verge of tears. I realized I am still at a tender place with regard to Papa's passing and having no living parents. Claude's mother passed in January. It really is a lot to take in even if you have great understanding of life after death and that is a source of great strength. I have let myself feel what I need to feel and let that be a healing process. 

I am sure of the Plan of Happiness. I know I have a Heavenly Father whose child I am. I know I can and do talk to him constantly through prayer. Each of those prayers is heard and answered in the timing and way that is best for my life. I believe in walking by faith in this life. That is not always easy. It requires being humble and submissive to the Lord's will and timing. I love the lessons I have learned by walking by faith. Mostly those lessons are learned in hindsight. Looking back and seeing the hand of the Lord in my life and the way things happen. I know I have a Savior who loves me enough to endure that great Atoning Sacrifice. I know that Atonement touches every bit of my life. All of this sure belief gives one strength to endure whatever we are called upon to endure in this life. 

As I watched Keith walk out of the chapel today with his hand on Janet's casket and tears in his eyes as he one more time leads her out of that chapel, I know that he knows these things as well. They will give him strength to work out Janet's passing in his life. 

How grateful I am for this testimony. The strength that it gives to let the bumps of life polish me into a better disciple of Christ. It doesn't take away the bumps and difficulties. It does give purpose and meaning to why I am here and strength to gain and learn all I can from what happens in my life. Yes, I am very grateful for my testimony.

No comments:

Post a Comment