Sunday, July 17, 2022

An Observation, Some Family History, and a Parade...

An observation...There is a little friendly war going on in our home. Our bathroom has a nice stand with a place on top to lay your cell phone, a place beneath that for the roll of toilet paper to go and a storage place below that for two additional rolls of toilet paper. I put a new roll of toilet paper in the place for the roll you will be using with the toilet paper going over and down the front. I will come into the bathroom and find that same roll turned so that the toilet paper goes over and down the back. I will smile and turn that toilet paper roll so it goes over and down the front. Another time I will find that roll has been turn again to face and go over the back of the roll. Nothing has been said between Claude and me. I simply turn the toilet paper around the way I want it. I wonder if Claude smiles when he changes it back. I never knew the way the roll faced made any difference to me until we started this silent toilet paper war. The things old people do to amuse themselves...

Thursday, July 14th, I woke up with my long list of things to do in this day. Claude had a dentist appointment in the afternoon. But, he received a call in the morning and that was canceled and will be rescheduled later. We decided to read our scriptures first. Then, Claude went out to cut up two tree limbs that had fallen from the tree. I started the laundry and went to work in Sandiland.

My first objective was to get some family history to Katelyn, our eldest grandmonster. They are having a Pioneer Day celebration in her ward (congregation) in Michigan. The members have been asked to share personal pioneer stories from their families with a picture if they have them. Claude comes from great pioneer stock. They actually cross the plains with the wagon companies. My family is from Louisiana. However, when the missionaries first came to Louisiana, my father's family was in the first five people to join the Church. I decided to share that with Katelyn and make sure she understands that people are pioneers in many areas in addition to those faithful Saints who crossed the plains. 

I shared this with Katelyn:
Not all pioneers crossed the plains. Some were the first members in the State of Louisiana. Jim Conner (James Edward Conner) was one of these. I always heard him called Uncle Jim by Papa. His wife was Aunt Annie (Esther Ann Lawrence). Her brother is Carl Edward Lawrence, Papa's father, hence Aunt Annie and Uncle Jim. Carl Edward married Claudia Clementine Shaw Conner Lawrence. Claudia was married to William (Bill) Conner first. Bill is the brother of Jim Conner. These two stories are about Jim Conner. They are found on FamilySearch. 

Story 1:
(Notes have been taken from a taped interview of Melvin Connor by Robert Howell.)
          Melvin Connor, the son of James E. Connor, was born August 23, 1919, White House, Smith County, Texas.
          James Connor was the first member of the Mormon faith in Winn Parish in 1917.He moved to Texas but returned soon thereafter to Winn Parish.
          Events leading up to James E. Connor’s conversion to the Mormon faith:
          (a) My father was constructing a house in the country. My mother and the children had gone to a spring about a mile and a half away to get water.
          (b) On the way back, two well-dressed young men came walking down the road; they stopped asked my mother for a drink of water. One of them said, “We’ll carry your buckets to your house if you give us a drink.” My mother gave them water and they carried the water buckets to the new house site.
          (c) They young men told my father they were missionaries from the Mormon Church. The young men told my father the history of the church and their beliefs.
          (d) The young missionaries told my father they were on their way to see a Mr. Smith who lived further south. They asked for permission to spend the night. My father assured them he did not have beds for them. Then they asked for permission to sleep under the trees nearby; that was granted.
          (e) The two missionaries told my father that they would stay and help him construct the house. My father told them he didn’t have any money to pay them. The two missionaries assured him they would not charge him anything— “we’ll work for free—we don’t want any money—we pay our own way.”
          (f) Who pays your pastor’s salary? “We don’t have pastors, we have a bishop and they are not paid. They work to support their own livelihood and receive no pay from the church.”
          The young missionaries appealed to my father working without pay, paying their own expenses for two years while doing missionary work. Willing to help others and their love and dedication to serving God. My father was impressed and he joined the church. He was the first member of the Mormon faith in Winn Parish. He was baptized in Holms Spring Branch on the old Alexandria road.
          When James E. Connor was on his way to be baptized, he had a plug of “Day’s Work” chewing tobacco in his pocket. The church does not permit chewing or smoking; he stopped by his buggy and placed the plug of tobacco under the buggy seat. When he returned, the plug of tobacco was missing. He died twenty-three years later and had not taken another chew of tobacco.
          The church met for several years in various homes in town. The church was meeting at Jim Connor’s daughters home on Laurel Heights. When the members decided to build a tabernacle in Laurel Heights in 1928. The tabernacle had a sawdust floor and in front, my father hung an old circle saw. When 9:30 am arrived on Sunday morning, my father went outside and banged on the old saw with a mallet. ; the sound could be heard for several blocks. The children all went into the tabernacle for Sunday School.
          The next church was a shot-gun type building constructed in Laurel Heights. We used lumber from the family home place.
          In the early 1950’s the church bought a home near the shot-gun building and converted it to a church building. This facility was used for some 15 years.
          In the mid 1960’s, the church acquired property on the old Calvin Road, adjoining the new Winnfield Senior High School. The church family constructed a beautiful chapel (auditorium) for church services. Several additions have been made since the original building was constructed. The church now has the large chapel, a multi-purpose room, several classrooms, office and recreation areas. The church pays for their buildings with cash, no credit or borrowed money.
          The leaders of the church have been James E. Connor, the organizer, and he served as Superintendent of Sunday School for many years. Gilbert Connor served in many capacities of the church family. In 1985, Bishop Loy Gaar provides the church leadership.
          The church family began in 1917 with five members and has grown to over 300 members in 1985.

Story 2:
          "While taking the missionary discussions James heard rummer of plans to tar and feather the missionaries. James then went to the general store and bought a whole box of bullets. (This was rare because they were expensive and people generally bought one or two bullets at a time, as they needed them to kill a cow or something of that nature). He then walked over to the group of men that was sitting in the store and said "If anyone is looking for the Mormon Missionaries, they will be at my house". Then he walked out with his large box of bullets.
          No one came looking for them."

Hope this helps from my side of the family. If it doesn't work for your purposes, it is still good for you to know this history as it is your history.

I have put a postette on Grampa's laptop so he remembers to send you something also.

Love Ya Bunches,
Blamma

These are pictures of Esther Ann Lawrence Connor and James Edward Connor (Aunt Annie & Uncle Jim).
I also shared a letter I wrote to Papa during the lockdown of the nursing home during Covid-19. This is the letter.

Thursday, May 28, 2020

Dear Papa,

Thought you might like an update on the corona virus. I really am only watching the long-term care facility numbers right now. On May 21st, one week ago, there were 1061 residents in long-term care facilities in Kentucky who tested positive for the corona virus. As of today, May 28th, one week later, there are 1208 residents in long-term care facilities who have tested positive for corona virus. That is an increase of 147 residents in a week. At this time there are no positive cases of corona virus in Signature Health Care of Georgetown. Yeah!!! 

Here are two more pictures from our trip to Winnfield, Louisiana with you in May 2013. We found Conners Road and drove down it. We found the Conners home. There was a sign that said Jim and Annie. Thought you might like to try and remember these places in your personal history. And, that you might like knowing I have these in your family history. 
Love Ya Bunches and I promise not to take nary a wooden nickel,
Sandi

I had errands to run and Claude needed to pick up his dry cleaning. He agreed to be a chauffeur. We made a list of what we needed to do while out and about because, well, we forget sometimes. First stop was the post office to pick up our mail that was held while we traveled. Saw a friend in the post office from our neighborhood in Sadieville. Off to Burger King to say hi to Lisa Marie and get a soda for a hot day in the car. Then the Circuit Court to pick up documents the Judge had signed for Papa's probate. I tried to deposit the three checks for Papa but they are made out to The Estate of...  So, I must open a new account with that name and then deposit them. Before that, I have to get a social security number to open that account with. Ugh!! Claude let me run into Cracker Barrel. We purchased bowls for Michael for his birthday that you eat Chinese food in. They have little cutouts along the sides to rest the chop sticks in. When in Cracker Barrel the last time, I say gummy noodles. I purchased a carton of them to go with the gift for fun. Now I can wrap up everything. Our next stop was Walmart to return an item and to purchase a curling iron. Mine died before we left for Michigan. Next to the cleaners to pick up Claude's things. We finished our outing by having dinner at McAlister's. Whew. We filled our afternoon. 

Returned home to work on my Blog, finish laundry, get a new social security number, and crochet. 

Friday, July 15th, was a grueling day. It ends well but it was grueling. It all circled around trying to tie up all financial ends for Papa. The day before I did get the paperwork done online to get the social security number so I could open an account to The Estate of...for Papa. However, I was informed to complete the application and actually get the number, I had to bring proof of several things to Frankfort to the Social Security office. Friday morning I gathered all those things and any others I thought might be asked for. Claude wanted to drive me. Imagine, he likes being with me after all these years. We went to Bojangles for a biscuit and then hit the road to Frankfort. 

When we arrived at the Social Security office, Claude dropped me near the front door and he went to find a parking place in any shade he could find. We didn't know how long this would take. You can't make and appointment, you take a number and wait. Amazingly, I took a number, sat down, and they called my number. Back to window A I went. I explained to the nice lady that I was trying to open a check account and needed a new number for it. Per the banks instructions, I was told to apply and get that number through social security. The very nice lady assured me she could not do this for a deceased person. This did not surprise me. My only recourse was to go back to the bank and talk with them again. 

Back to Georgetown Claude drove us to the main branch of Whitaker Bank. I went in while Claude waited in the car. My visit to the bank the day before was at a branch office we always use. To get this correct, we felt like I should go to the main office. I crumbled a bit when I was told I didn't need social security number, I needed and Employer Identification Number (EIN). I could see that taking weeks to get. I went to the car in some stage of silliness about this who round of events for such a simple thing. Claude started the car to drive us home only to find the bridge was closed to get to our home from downtown. They had us routed on a detour through the alleys. We finally made it home feeling that detour just fit the way all this was going. 

At home, I Googled 'application for Employer Identification Number'. I was amazed when it took me right to the IRS page for an application. There was a tab for 'The Estate of...' I clicked that, filled out info about Papa, then filled out info about me, then hit submit. That was it. Except for the $297 charge for the IRS to complete this application. UGH!! Now, to wait for a response. 

On to my next effort, calling the Medicaid people. This causes more dread for me than the circuit court or Social Security. Papa was on Medicaid in the nursing home. Medicaid has the right to reimburse the money they spent from anything left in his estate. However, they state they are usually looking for $10,000 or more. Papa has no where near that. They sent me a letter dated June 12th. I received it June 24th. I responded on June 27th with an answer to their questionnaire indicating Papa had less than $10,000 and requesting and exemption with copies of all documents showing what he actually had as proof of this. The letter indicated I had one month from when they sent the letter. I had received not response from them. I was now concerned they did not receive my written request with backup and it was a month since they sent their letter. Time to talk with someone. 

I called the number on their letterhead and in the body of their letter. I was happy to get Kimberly on the phone. However, Kimberly couldn't help me. She said it was not her department!! I explained I had called the number in the letter. She gave me another number in case I was disconnected and then transferred me to what she thought was the correct office. A nice man answered the phone. I went through my explanation of the purpose of my call. Alas, he also was not the right department. He gave me the same number that Kimberly had given me and transferred me again to what should be the correct department. Eventually another nice lady answered the phone. I gave my explanation of the purpose of my call. Can you believe it? This was still not the right office! I told her about the number on the letterhead and in the body of the letter and this being my third call and I had been on the phone waiting for help for well over an hour. I asked if she had any other number in this office on the letterhead of the letter that I could call. I could hear her going through papers trying to find something for me. She eventually got back on the phone and gave me a name and an eMail address of the lady that head that department. She told me the employees had probably all gone home but I should send and eMail explaining my purpose to Teresa and she was sure she would have someone get back with me but not until probably Monday. Okay, I could do that. I drafted a very nice eMail explaining my purpose, giving a few pertinent numbers so she could locate Papa's files and all my contact information. I was very pleasantly surprised to receive an eMail response from Teresa assuring me that Monday a case worker would contact me about this concern. Hallelujah!!

About 3pm, received an eMail from the IRS with a EIN for Papa!!! I could not believe it. I quickly got into my car with paperwork in hand and returned to the Whitaker Bank's main office. They were able to open the account I needed with all the paperwork I had with me. The three little checks were deposited into a new account. Now, I wait to see if I need to send them to Medicaid.

After 5pm, I had spent my entire day on the bank and Medicaid. I had not lost my patience with anyone. I did lay my head on the cashiers counter at the bank when they told me I had to get an EIN. But I was patient and kind to everyone. In return, I was ending my Friday feeling like I was moving forward. My dear hubby looked at me and told me I was amazing!! That was the best compliment ever. 

The rest of Friday I did NOTHING!! 

Saturday, July 16th, was a family day. The Marx family lives in Oldham County, Kentucky. The city of LaGrange hosts the Oldham County Days each year in July. The Oldham County High School Band marches in this parade each year. Hayden and Bailey are in the OCHS Band. We always go to watch them. This year would be Hayden's last year. Bailey will march for two more years. Hayden is a senior this year, so a lot of these things will be his last. These are pictures of the parade.

Just as 10am approached an the parade was to begin, the train came through LaGrange. The tracks are in the middle of Main Street. We were sitting over halfway through the length of the parade route so having the train come was not an issue. The parade could start at LaGrange Elementary School and march for a bit before it got to where we were seated. 
We stood as the United States flag passed. I loved that the horse had its own pooper scooper walking beside it.
The Grand Marshall's this year were the Be Kind sisters. These sweet young girls paint signs that say "Be Kind" with bright colors and backgrounds. You donate money to a worthy cause in Oldham County and that buys you a sign. You find these signs all over the county. We have one in our front yard that I purchased for Claude on Christmas. This has gained Old County the "Kindness Capital of Kentucky" and national television recognition. The girls didn't start it that way. It was accepted by the community and everyone has played a part in helping this worthwhile project to grow. Happy these sisters were chose as the Grand Marshalls for this year's parade.
This picture simply describes the times we are in all over the country. There simply are not enough bus drivers anywhere. In Andie's school, they have a bus that runs late each day to make a second trip out to bring kids to school. 
Oldham County High School Band is magnificent. I was able to get a good picture with Hayden on the end of his row and Bailey in the middle of the row behind him. 
When I was a child, you could ride in the back of a pick-up truck and no one said anything. Now, that is not the case. To find a baby riding on top of this firetruck was amazing to me. 
The Oldham County Middle School cheerleaders were on and around this fire truck. The sweetest part to me was the two cheerleaders in wheelchairs. They are each handicapped but they are a part of the cheerleading squad. This is inclusion at its best!!
I had a flash back to being in Japan for the Tahara Festival and marching with them in their parade. The little boy standing in front of us was completely frightened by these dragons. There are two people in each of the two dragons. One for the head and one for the back. I tried to imagine walking that parade route bend over all the time as the person in the back was. The person in the front was able to lift up his head and arms every now and then. Cool!
The Oldham County Republican party had this float. I noticed the elephant on the top. It even has patriotic ribbons on its tail! 
Claude and I were happy to see The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints represented by the JustServe groups. 
Each year the Blue Brothers and Elvis are in the parade. There is also an elderly couple and he has a long white beard and plays Mr. and Mrs. Santa Claus. I didn't get their picture this year. They were in a larger red car than last year though. 
When the parade was over, Andie and I went to the OCHS Band booth where they had gift baskets that they were letting people bid on to raise money for the band. We would man that booth until noon. Then we walked back to Andie's car. We took a little detour so I could see the mural the city has painted to the "Be Kind" theme. That is me as the letter I.
This totem pole was in front of the Buddy Pepper house in LaGrange. He is a musician that worked with lots of Hollywood elite in his career. 
Andie and I stopped at KFC and picked up lunch for everyone. Then off to the Marx home to eat together and visit for a bit before returning to Georgetown. Great parade. The cloud cover kept the day from being beastly hot. Good day with our family.

Sunday, July 17th, has been a good day so far. Claude created the sacrament meeting program for church today. It was based on music. The was a scripture, a reading about how hymns help us followed by the congregation singing that hymn. It was a beautiful program. The bishop ended with some remarks. He is an amazing musician in his own right with a beautiful voice and plays the piano and organ exceptionally well. Lovely meeting.

I played the piano for Primary today. Love hearing the little ones singing. They really learn the gospel through the words they sing. 

Taco Bell for lunch. A quick nap for me and a longer one for Claude. I read in my book. Did my Blogging. Hope to get some crocheting done this evening. A good day for us today.



No comments:

Post a Comment