Sunday, July 16, 2023

Little Things...

Today my mind has caught on the subject of 'Little Things". Often, little things may get missed or not truly appreciated in the day-to-day of life. As Claude and I continue in the healing process for him from his surgery, we find ourselves looking at the progress and realizing it comes in little things, little steps. As I ponder on that, I am reminded that a lot of life is lived in little things, little steps that combine to make a great whole. 

I tried to think of a few of my favorite scriptures and poems about "little things'. Here are a few:

Alma 37: 6 Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise.

Little drops of water,
Little grains of sand,
Make the mighty ocean
And the pleasant land.
So the little moments,
Humble though they be,
Make the mighty ages
Of Eternity.
So the little errors
Lead the soul away
From the paths of virtue
Far in sin to stray.
Little deeds of kindness,
Little words of love,
Help to make earth happy,
Like the Heaven above.”
― Julia A.F. Carney

James 3:4-6 King James Version (KJV) Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth. Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things.

"All the water in the world
No matter how it tried
Could never sink the smallest ship
Unless it got inside.
All the evil of the world
And every kind of sin
Could never damn a human soul
Unless we let it in." 
~~ Author Unknown

I find, in this healing process, that we are careful to pick an activity that will stretch Claude in his healing. 

We went to two movies this week. The first was on Monday, July 10th. It was "Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny". We have been big Indiana Jones fans since the first movie came out. This will be the fifth and the final movie. The Georgetown Theater was showing the movie. We went and totally enjoyed this last grand adventure. I particularly loved the ending . The movie alluded to things in Indy's other adventures. It was so good to have Claude out and about. A little thing but a big step forward.
The second movie we went to see was "Sound of Freedom". We saw it Thursday, July 13th. This is a true story about human trafficking, particularly of children. The movie is not easy to watch but it was extremely well done. It isn't easy to watch because of the topic. I felt they did a masterful job of letting you know what horrid thing was taking place without you having to actually watch it. Jim Caviezel is an actor Claude and I both really enjoy watching. We were both felt good that we saw it, we would recommend it to others so the topic is understood and watched for by others, lots of lessons in this one. Again, a little outing, but a lot learned on a topic level, as well as Claude healing level. 
I follow David Attenborough on Facebook. This picture popped up on his news feed. I would title it "Bloom Where You Are Planted". The understanding that we may not be able to control the trials and difficulties that come our way, but we can always choose the way we will deal with those circumstances. Little behaviors can make a difference in living a positive life...no matter what is happening around us. For me, it goes back to being grateful for each little thing. Even when things are at their worst, find the little thing that you can be grateful for. I mean, really, if I am riding along in my car having the worst day of my life and I look down beside my car and see that beautiful flower coming out of a drain, I am going to be grateful for that little flower and the lessons it teaches me. I am going to know and feel the love of my Savior, Jesus Christ in the little flower in a drain placed in my path that day. Little things!
We missed an important event which we always attend. Our Mini's have marched every year in the Oldham County Day's parade in LaGrange, Kentucky. We always go over and watch that little bit of time, only a minute or two, as they march past in the Oldham County High School Band playing their instruments. It takes 1 1/2 hours to drive over and 1 1/2 hours to drive home. You must park at the bottom of a hill and hike up the hill to where you will place your lawn chair. Then you sit till the precious few minutes of the band marching by come and you cheer for that young soul that carries your genes. That young soul knows they are loved and what they do is important because of all that effort for those little minutes. This year, it would only be Bailey marching. Hayden has graduated. I am grateful that we have cellphones and Andie and Michael took pictures and we had video and pictures in minutes of the parade happening. That is another little thing but is such a rich blessing in today's life. Instant connection with family over miles. Love it. 
Our first-born grandmonster had a birthday this past week. I posted these pictures and this comment on our family Facebook page: "A little one can sure take your heart and make them your own. One little girl did this in our family on this day in 1992. Join me in wishing Katelyn Roper a most Happy Birthday. The pictures are from 1992 and 1993. Our first grandmonster! Love Ya Bunches, KT Nickels!" A tiny little bundle that taught Claude and I how to be grandparents to her and all of our other grandmonsters and great grandmonsters.
So, there you have it. A week with lots of noticing 'little things'. From little healing steps with Claude, to little moments with family, to gratitude for little blessings along life's journey. I love noticing the little things and then seeing, as the accumulate, the big impact they have on my life and the lives of those I love and care so deeply for. Little Things!!

No comments:

Post a Comment