Saturday, January 20, 2024

Giving, ABBA, Dear Friends, Bitter Cold...

Friday, January 12th, I simply stopped my life and spent time reading. What a delight. I don't do this often enough. I finished my book about the history of Italy in preparation for our upcoming trip. And I read my entire January Liahona. I also stopped and called my BFF, Laura Carter. Now those two things make for a great day!!

Saturday, January 13th, had two fun things happen. We have stored Jake's mattress and box springs from his old bed in the loft of our shed. The missionaries had a contact in need of a bed. We told them they could surely have this one but they needed to arrange a truck and men to help heft it down from the loft. This was the day. The two missionaries and James Hollen (who owns the truck) came and helped Claude get the bed out of the loft. They also took two bookshelves and a night stand. Nice to see these items go to someone in need. 
Katelyn send this cute picture of Emelia. Why is this picture significant? Well, when Katelyn lived with us one summer after she graduated High School, whenever she and I went to the store, Katelyn was ALWAYS straightening the aisle. Didn't matter what store, the aisles and clothes racks always needed a little help looking perfect. It seems Emelia has inherited her mother's cleaning and straightening gene!
The evening was a wonderful date with my Big Guy. We went to Firehouse Subs for a great dinner. If we take a certain route, Firehouse Subs in right on the way. It seems this is becoming our go to dinner place when going into Lexington to Rupp Arena or the Lexington Opera House. We don't have a Firehouse Subs in Georgetown so this is a great stop for us. 

Our adventure this evening was and ABBA Tribute groups performing in the Lexington Opera House. I had not even thought of doing this but several people came dressed like the 70's style of clothes. There was one man that could have been a pimp in the 70's. Nice fella. Lots of shiny tops and loud print pants. The group was really quite good. We were encouraged to sing along, dance along, take pictures and video to post. It was really a good concert for audience participation. I do find it amusing when those my age and older get up and dance like they believe they are still in their 20's or 30's. It was great fun. Totally enjoyed this date.
Sunday, January 14th, was a really fun Sunday. I was able to lead the music for Sacrament Meeting. I was watching as people entered. I take the roll as Relief Society Secretary and doing that from the stand makes it really easy. I noticed a couple come in from the back. They were looking for a place to sit. The lady pointed to a spot and they came forward and sat by Amanda Owens. Then it dawned on me it was Lisa and David Adams. Lisa is Amanda's mother. Lisa was my 1st counselor when I was Stake Relief Society president. She and David live in Florida. I suddenly had a grin from ear to ear and then Lisa looked up and realized it was me on the stand. She then had a grin on her face from ear to ear. We wanted to run and hug each other but it was time for the meeting to start. That hug would come after the meeting. 

During one of the hymns, I looked at Claude as I got up to lead. He looked at me and we winked at each other. I was sure no one saw this. However, Heidi Barney caught each of us after the meeting and assured us she saw that wink. No fool like an old fool!! 

After the meetings, Claude and I got Jimmy John's for lunch and took it home. While we were eating, I said to Claude that it would be really great if our old Play Group (the Stake Relief Society Presidency) could get together. He agreed. While Claude napped, I crocheted and texted Lisa first to be sure she and David would have a time they could do this while here. Once that was confirmed, I sent a text to Laura Carter (our 2nd counselor) and Barbara Mason (our secretary) to see what their week was like and when we might get all of us, our hubbies and Jessie (our photographer and Laura's daughter) together. Miracle of Miracles, we all could meet Tuesday afternoon. Claude agreed to make a big pot of vegetable beef soup and have rolls. Laura and Howard would bring little cheesecakes for dessert. 

Then I started to crochet in earnest. I found a pattern for a granny square crochets Christmas Tree ornament. I used to make these ladies and ornament every year for Christmas. I decided I would make four of these ornaments and give them one like old times. I thought they were so cute, I sent the pictures to our current Ward Relief Society presidency and suggested they might make a cute gift for our 2024 gift to the sisters at Christmas. They all liked the idea. I will now make 50 more for this Christmas. 
In the evening, Claude set to work on his Lego Ferrari. For Christmas, I gave him 4-laps in a Ferrari around the Kentucky Speedway. In addition, I bought this Lego Ferrari for him. He would try diligently to put it together. It seemed to be missing a piece in the first bag of pieces. The second bag was put together but it didn't stay together. After a few days of working on it and being very frustrated, I suggested we have Hayden work on it. He had tons of Lego pieces and would have anything that might be missing. His brain just sees how these things go together. Claude would finally take it apart and bag it back up. We'll ask Hayden for help when he comes home. Doing puzzle things is not Claude's forte. That is my area. I was really pleased he worked so hard and almost had it right. He would never be happy with that car unless it was right. 
We were experiencing the cold, cold, cold of winter. Snow was expected Sunday night and Monday morning. 

Monday, January 15th, We planned a day inside our home. This first snow was a light amount, maybe an inch, and it was powder dry. Claude went out and took his leaf blower. He cleaned our driveway and walk to the door. I would use a shovel and get our front sidewalk and Catherine's walks and driveway. I always love when we work outside together. And, I thought my hubby was sheer genius for thinking of the leaf blower for this powdery snow. In my gratitude journal for this day I listed Claude's genius and working with him, a warm home on a very frigid day, and flannel sheets when it is this cold.
Tuesday, January 16th, I had a dental cleaning and 6-month check on my teeth. Since the rest of the week held the promise of extremely cold weather with more snow the end of the week, we decided Claude would drop me at the dentist and head to Walmart to pick up the few grocery items we might want or need for the remainder of the week. Then we could go home and hunker down for the rest of the week. Leaving the road to those who really needed to use it. 

After getting home, we finished up for the ladies to come for our little reunion. Claude made sure the drives and walkways were clear. Again with the leaf blower. I set out things inside the house for company to come visit. 

At one o'clock, I got a call from Barbara. She and WC were in the driveway and no one else was here. She wanted to be sure she was at the right place. I assured her she was simple the first one to arrive. David and Lisa were the next to arrive. The Laura, Howard and Jessie came with dessert. It was so fun to be together again. We picked up like we had not had long been apart. 

I sent the ladies each two pictures I thought they might enjoy. 

The first was taken October 8, 2006. This Sunday we were called and sustained as the new Stake Relief Society Presidency. Seated are Lisa Adams and Sandi Christensen. Standing are Laura Carter and Barbara Mason. We all met at our home that day for lunch and to get to know each other. I didn't know Laura at all. Barbara I knew and Lisa I knew a bit. From this first meeting together, we were best friends. We would serve together for four years. 
The second picture was taken Octiber 23, 2010. This was our final activity for all the sisters in the Lexington North Stake. It was "Circle of Sisters". The next day we would be released from our callings and a new Stake Relief Society presidency would be called. From left to right: Barbara Mason, Lisa Adams, Sandi Christensen, Laura Carter, Jessie Carter. What a totally delightful four years it was. We each had very difficult things happen in our lives and our families during this four years. But we sustained and strengthened each other and only women can do for each other. 
We enjoyed our soup which was delicious. Claude accidentally used soy sauce when he thought he had Worchestershire sauce. It was soo good. We had a bit of dessert and then settled in the living room to visit. Lisa retired on December 30th. Barbara and WC don't drive at night anymore. We are all a little older and had the bumps of life in our history. But we are still such dear friends. This is a blessing to me. 

I had us get one more picture of all of us. Seated: Jessie Carter & Barbara Mason. Standing: Sandi Christensen, Lisa Adams, Laura Carter. I love these ladies and their hubbies who supported us all the way. Looking forward to our next reunion.
Wednesday, January 17th, Claude and I were set to stay inside for the rest of the week. Claude received a call from Brad Manwaring. Brad told him Alli (his wife) was already in West Virginia and Brad and his dad were going to drive over on Thursday to meet her. Their son Breck and his wife Iris had their first baby, a little girl named Camila Rose. I had Claude contact Brad and get a time we could drop off a baby gift for this little bundle of joy. We went over about 2:30 and had a good chat with Brad and his dad and left the gift for Brad to deliver for us. 

Funny thing, the Manwaring's daughter, Aubrey and her hubby, Raul, are having their first baby, a girl, this Sunday. I have working on the baby afghan for her baby. 

In the evening, Andie called to let me know that Bea, Michael's grandmother on his father's side was not doing well. She had been in the hospital. They were moving her to palliative care. Bea just turned 101. She has stayed of sound mind and strong body until this last year when she had covid. It knocked her down a peg but she was able to get back to her own apartment at the senior community.

Thursday, January 18th, we stayed inside all day looking out the window from time to time to check the weather. When this frigid air came the week before, I shut up all the blinds and curtains in the house to try and help keep the inside as warm as possible. So, we don't see what is going on outside unless we lift a blind. I spent the day doing laundry and crocheting. I was grateful for my cellphone to keep up with family and friends who had special difficulties in their lives. 

In the evening, Andie would let us know that Bea had passed. 

Friday, January 19th, We stayed at home all day. Snow came and we had at least 4" to 5". This was wet heavy snow that the leaf blower could not handle. Claude went out to shovel our walks. I suited up and joined him. This time we only got our walks and driveway done. We can feel our age and did not get Catherine's done this time. But I was grateful we could take care of ourselves at least. Time is coming to hire some of the young boys that come around to shovel.
With communication with Andie, we decided we would go to Maryland for Bea's funeral. Andie and Michael will leave Sunday so they can visit with family. Claude and I will leave Monday and visit Fred and Bevy on our way to Rockville, Maryland. The funeral will be a graveside service on Tuesday. We will head home on Wednesday. In my head, I am thinking of what else we might want to visit. We know we will go to The Italian Store for a Milano for sure. Andie and Michael want to have Ledo's Pizza while there. Claude promised to buy for us. 

I also spent a lot of time crocheting. I had white and pink yarn on hand. I had hoped I had enough. I wanted to finish up what I had of the pink to see if it was enough. It was not quite enough. So, I will purchase a big skein of pink and white to finish the afghan. 

Saturday, January 20th, is another stay inside kind of day. This day I have spent working on my laptop chores. I have kind of not done a lot with it over the last week or so. Time to get caught up. So far I have stayed focused and crossed several things off the to do list. I am quite fond of these stay at home days!!

No comments:

Post a Comment