Thursday, February 22, 2024

Arrivederci...

Sunday, February 17th, I awoke not feeling well. A very, very bad nights sleep. Got ready and we went to Church. Sacrament Meeting was so good. Three talks and they were all excellent. The Melchezedek Priesthood sang the special number. Just an excellent meeting. After the meeting, I asked Claude to please take me home. I was not feeling well. 

I just want to add here that I believe a home should be a place of refuge, peace and comfort. Our little home is that in rich abundance. 

I changed into comfy clothes and curled up on the sofa. Claude sat with me for a while. Then we drove to Burger King to get some lunch. We brought that home and enjoyed our burgers together. I was grateful for a crochet project I was working on and a lovely love seat with lots of pillows to cushion my aching back. 

Monday, February 18th, I started my morning with a phone call to my doctor. I had experience another night with bad pain in my right lower back. He could see me at 10:45. I got a shower and prepared to go see Dr. Lyon. The problem was quickly diagnosed. I am so grateful for this good doctor. He got me right in and the sat and chatted a bit while we waited for findings to confirm the diagnosis. He was so happy we are going to Italy. He loves Italy and Rome is his very favorite city he has visited in the world. He sent a prescription in to help before we leave with an extra 5-day supply in case I have a flare-up in Italy. So thoughtful. 

Claude and I went to pick up my prescription when CVS sent me the text it was ready. As we started to go into CVS Pharmacy, Claude said, "I wonder if there will be a problem with this?" I turned and realized he was wearing his cap from Wall Drug! 
I returned home and set to work shortening my new pants. Two pairs of slacks and two pair of jeans. Three of these had to be shortened because, apparently, I am vertically challenged. 

Because I didn't sleep well the night before, I used my awake time during the night to finish the baby afghan. This is a granny square pattern I used to make a girl baby afghan. It has four rows of pink and one row of white. There were 63 squares put together to make the girl afghan. As I made it, I thought how much I enjoyed crocheting this particular style of granny square and wondered how it would be to make one BIG granny square out of that pattern for a baby afghan. I had blue yarn so I tried it out. This granny square speaks 'little boy' to me. The border around it is a row of half-double crochets followed by a row of reverse half-double crochets. I believe this will be my new favorite border for a little boy afghan. 
Just for fun, here is a picture of four of our great grandmonsters. Kennedi, Raelyn, Emelia and Joel. Love these littles!!
Tuesday, February 20th, this day I had lunch with a friend. We talked and talked. At one point, it felt like someone was watching us. I looked up to see Grant Bolt watching me. The I noticed Toney Chaney was next to him. These are the men who own Johnson's Funeral Home. They are dear to me. They helped me get through the funerals of my mother and father. Such good to the core young men. It was good to share with Beth Wofford what a great business this was and what good people these men were. 

In the afternoon, I received a return call from Betty Dixon. Another good friend. Her son recently passed and I wanted to touch base to see how she was coping. She was in great spirits. She has a plan to move and it will be determined by her vision improving. 

In the evening, I made friends with Vickie Drakeford on Facebook. Vickie is the wife of Wendell. He was our realtor when we sold our home in Sadieville and purchased our home in Georgetown. Again, good people. Wendell has cancer and is not doing well. My heart aches for these good people. 

At the end of this day, I reflected on how people cross our paths in life. How grateful I am that so many good people are a part of my life journey. This is indeed a great blessing.

Wednesday, February 21st, it was time to get serious about packing for our trip. But first, we had to go to Claude's audiologist for his check. This time they asked that another party come with him. We were stunned by this. Sometime when we have ophthalmology appointments and we know we have our eyes dilated, we will have the other of us drive. Never for an audiologist appointment. I went with Claude. I sat in the waiting area until Claude yelled from the back, "Sandi!" I went back to where he was and asked if he was in pain. The audiologist, Hannah, laughed. It seems that had done is test. No decrease in hearing. She had reset his hearing aids. All she needed from me was to talk with Claude to be sure the settings were okay. Goodness. Couldn't she just do that. She obviously doesn't know that Claude is a quiet soul most of the time and after 54 years, a lot of what we say is a chuckle about what we both know we would say. It went well but it just felt weird after all these years.

We received a lovely phone call from our Hayden. He just wanted to touch base before we flew 'over the pond' (as he said). Now that is just sweet. We had a nice conversation and caught up on his school. He shared what he liked and didn't like about Italy. We talked about buying new chairs and he felt we didn't need to change the chairs we have. We talked about visiting him when we do our Route 66 driving trip and about him maybe coming down in April. Nice call and so good to visit with him.

I spent the rest of my day gathering and getting ready to pack for our trip. I wanted that done on Wednesday so I could have a very low-key day on Thursday. Claude and I did get everything laid out and I divided it between the two suitcases. We always pack half of each our things in each suitcase. This way, if one suitcase doesn't make it, we still have a little to work with. When we get to Italy, I will put all of Claude's things in one suitcase and all of my things in the other suitcase for the remainder of the trip. Before we went to bed, both suitcases were packed and ready to go. Whew!

Thursday, February 22nd, I have spent this day doing the little things that must be in order before a big trip. Stopped the mail, watered the plants, clear off things from my cellphone so I can fill it with travel pictures, cleaned out eMails and text messages. I will now have a quiet evening before we fly away on the big plane to Italy. Arrivederci!!

No comments:

Post a Comment