Thursday, April 9, 2009

Two Weeks Today...

This time two weeks ago today I was in the little cubicle awaiting my turn at the surgical table. This morning I came downstairs and looked through the back door windows to my hosta bed and the row of purple tulips buds just waiting to open up and I felt good. I've progressed well. I have 6 more weeks of not lifting anything over 5 pounds but I can do that.
My surgery was Thursday, March 26th, Happy Birthday Nissa!! I stayed in the hospital Friday, March 27th, Happy Birthday Paul Man!! Then I was released and came home Saturday, March 28th about noontime. Claude spent the first night in the hospital room with me. The second night I was moving around on my own a bit so he came home to have a good nights sleep in our bed. He was back at the hospital bright and early and shared my breakfast plate with me. I'm not a egg eater and he polished those off for me in fine fashion. Dr. Elvis came in and wanted to be sure I could walk. So I donned my pink bathrobe I purchased 9 years ago for the hysterectomy and Claude and I waddled down the hall to the nurses station and back. Dr. Elvis was very pleased and said I could have all things removed and Claude could take the patient home to his care. Central Baptist Hospital was a very nice facility to be in. The entire staff treated me very well and helped me progress so I could go home as quickly as possible.
I was sent home with at least 4 prescriptions for different things. So we stopped at CVS in Georgetown and got those prescriptions filled before heading to our home in the country. Claude also got me some tacos to take home for lunch. I needed flavor. We were home and I was in bed again around 2:30pm. Claude fixed up my little retreat with the baby monitors (see the picture of the flowers) Andie uses so that he could move around the house and still hear me. He also placed a TV tray by my bed so I had plenty of room for necessities at an easy reach. He put the little bell there for extra measure to call him if I needed him. He made a 'med' chart so that we were sure of when I took what medicine. I curled up in my wonderful bed to heal.
Monday Claude had a dental appointment and an oil change appointment for my car. Papa and Tiny came out to sit with me. I awoke from a long nap just before they got there and was sitting on the love seat in the living room. Poor Tiny could not understand why she could climb up on my lap. She did sit beside me some and that seemed to help. About 3:30 I assured Papa I was going to take more meds and head to bed for another nap and that he and Tiny could head back to Georgetown. I was sure Claude would be home before I woke up. Papa wouldn't leave until he was sure I had taken my meds and was really headed to bed. Claude got home just as Papa and Tiny were getting in his Jeep to leave.
Wednesday and Thursday (April 1 & 2) were hard days. I was trying to run a fever so we watched me close and I spent more time in bed. I do not run fevers. My normal temp in below the 98.6 that is the average for most of us. We were able to keep in down and by Thursday evening any feeling of fever was gone.
Friday (April 3) Claude was to drive to Michigan to pick up Katelyn, our oldest grandmonster. We had planned to take her on a road trip over her spring break. The surgery meant no road trip but we wanted her here with us anyway. Claude left in the morning. Andie drove over from LaGrange in the morning to be with me. She stayed until Saturday afternoon. Papa and Tiny took over when she left Saturday until Claude and Katelyn got here. It was great to have an evening with Andie and me. She made me a pan of brownies. We watched 'The Secret Life of Bees' and I totally enjoyed having time with my daughter. Michael, bless you for coming home from a business trip on Thursday night so you could watch the mini-Marx's and Andie could come and sit with her mom. We received pictures via eMail from Michael's Blackberry of the mini-Marx's at Waffle House Saturday morning having breakfast and at Walmart in the shopping cart Saturday morning. Hayden called and talked with Andie about taking her car to the car wash. It was great fun to hear of the fun they were having with daddy while mommy was gone and to get the pictures was an added measure of pleasure. Papa and I watched the Saturday morning session of general conference together.
Katelyn wanted a down day on Sunday (April 5th). We watched both session of general conference. Grampa fixed great food for us to eat and we just enjoyed our time together. I saved Katelyn needlework projects she started last time she was here so her fingers and my fingers flew doing cross-stitch. How fun to share this love of mine with her. Sunday night we pulled an 'almost' all nighter. When Katelyn stayed after Christmas, we stayed up all night on New Year's Eve and watched the Lord of the Rings trilogy back-to-back. Now her pick was all 4 Indiana Jones movies. So we did that and finished at about 2:30am. Katelyn and I crocheted through all the movies.
Monday (April 6th) was homework day for Katelyn. We all agreed we would get it done and then enjoy the rest of the week. Claude had meetings in the morning and evening.
Tuesday (April 7th) Claude and Katelyn drove to LaGrange to visit the Marx family. I had my first day at home alone. No sitter this time. After they left I came to my basement hide-a-way and did eMail's and made my computer puzzle 'o the day. Then I headed up to read book 5 in the Work and the Glory series. I spent the remainder of the day in bed reading. It was good to just rest and read. I took a long nap in the afternoon then awoke and finished my novel. Then began the next book I wanted to read while recuperating. It is the Middle something or other. It is by Kelly Corrigan. Andie read it with her book group and loaned it to me. I'm really enjoying it and almost finished with it. Claude and Katelyn enjoyed picking up Hayden at pre-school, taking the mini-Marx's to McDonalds for lunch, then have a time to play with them for the rest of the afternoon. Andie sent home made granola mix home with them. They stopped and got me a Subway sandwich for dinner. It was a good day.
Wednesday (April 8th) I made reservations for us to take Katelyn to the Glitz for lunch. We took Bonnie there in December so I've told you all about the unique place. She very much enjoyed having a very grown up meal in a really nice restaurant. She loved looking through all the antiques and trying to find out if "that was what you used as a kid Gramma and Grampa"? I was worn out after our outting and stretched out and slept in the back seat of the car all the way home. Claude took his nap after we got home and Katelyn and I watched 'The Secret Life of Bees' while she sorted Grampa's big mug of coins and rolled them for him. This is a tradition when Katelyn comes. The rolling of Grampa's coins. Claude had a meeting at the Church in the evening so Katelyn and I watched some TV and did some more needlework. We also fixed our own dinner this time. Katelyn lifted everything I needed to make grill cheese sandwiches. What a team we are.
Today (Thursday, April 9th) we are going to Keeneland. Claude and I have lived in Kentucky 4 1/2 years and not been to the races yet. They are having races at Keeneland this week. So today we are going to go to Keeneland and see the races. Hopefully they will have wonderful seating!!!
I'm grateful for well wishes, flowers, prayers and love from friends and family. Thank you all for these. Especially the faith and prayers. I'm making steady progress and am now starting to venture out a little. I wear out easily but the little forays help build strength. I appreciate so much the care of my hubby. What a guy!!!
Now, I'm off to get ready for the races.

No comments:

Post a Comment