Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Fire Flies & Enlightened Moments...

Tonight I lay in my bed trying to fall asleep. We have not turned our air conditioning on yet. So at night we open the curtains while we sleep so the cool night air can fill our home to cool it off for another day. I finally rolled over and faced that open window. I noticed little flashes of light between our home and the trees on our hill. It took a moment to register that the fire flies have returned for this summer. These are just delightful little insects. They leave a kind of magic and peace in the summer evenings. It just feels very Southern. I realized as I lay there that I have been able to enjoy fire flies most of my life. I don't think we had them when we lived in California or in Colorado. But we have had them in Louisiana, Maryland and now in Kentucky. They made me think of other things I've enjoyed throughout my life: Homemade hand cranked ice cream Swinging on a front porch Napping on a quilt under the shade of a tree with a gentle breeze Singing along to a piece of music in my low range Homemade lemonade Sitting on top of a mountain looking across the country Hugs from my kids or grandmonsters Finishing a piece of needlework Looking at pictures of trips we have taken and remembering... The scent of magnolias Driving down the interstate with the sun roof open and good music at full volume Reading a really good book Claude & me having a soda in the car sitting at a corner parking lot Trying to pin hems in my skirts with my mom & laughing through it Grocery shopping with Jake and laughing through it When Nissa & Andie would say "I need a soda" and we had a great talk Picking strawberries in Gramma & Grampa Fisch's strawberry patch Getting a sun tan Letters from Papa with answers to my teen age questions Listening to the Eagles concert DVD at full volume on the big TV Singing with Claude or Papa when they play their guitars Talks with a good friend Watching the water tank fill during a gentle summer rain Building houses of straw in the woods & using snuff cans for dishes Jeep rides with Uncle Clifford And the list could go on. There is a lot of appreciate and really enjoy in this life. It was pleasant to pause and give thought to a few of those things and open my mind to remember more. Goodnight!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment