Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Nursing Home Humor...

Once in a while at the nursing home you hear something that you just didn't expect to hear. Today Papa did his usual weekly singing at the nursing home. We sang a song titled "Maggie". It was my first time singing it with Papa. He learned it at his mother's knee. It is beautiful old song with a lovely melody. After we finished, at the back of the room, Ray Perkins pipes up and said, "I sang that to a girl in the 5th grade." I told Papa what Ray said. Then I said to Ray, "Would you like to elaborate on that?" He said, "No, I just sang 'Maggie' to her." We all enjoyed and were amused by Ray's memory from long ago. It just brought the entire group together. After singing I went to my seat by Mimi while Papa played some mandolin pieces as he usually does at the end of his program. Mimi sits along the back wall where Ray and Joe sit. One of the ladies that works in the kitchen came by and Joe reached out to her. One of the things I love about this nursing home is that they are not afraid to touch and be close to the residents. This lady took Joe's hand and held it to talk with him. Joe is a big, gentle lug-of-a-guy. In his simple way he looked at her and said, "You're hands are cold." She explained she had just washed her hands. This interaction happened several times. Then as she turned to go back to the kitchen she said to Joe, "Cold hands, warm heart!" I've heard that saying many times before. Then Ray pops up and adds the other part of this verse that I have never heard. The kitchen lady said again, "Cold hands, warm heart!" and Ray adds, "Cold feet & no sweetheart!" Now you've learned something new. As Mimi used to say..."You have a new wrinkle in your brain."

No comments:

Post a Comment