Saturday, November 14, 2009

Win, Place & Show Colonel Style...

Today my hubby took me on an adventure!!!
We drove to Louisville to Churchill Downs. It was a new, and what promises to be annual, Kentucky Colonels event. We arrived and parked in the Longfield parking lot. Then we pulled out our tickets for the day and headed into Churchill Downs. I have never been to Churchill Downs. This was a nice affair. Dress was business casual. The dress code was set by Churchill Downs because of the rooms the Colonels would be using. There were 1,952 people attending the Kentucky Colonel function. These guests came from 29 states, Canada and Scotland. We used the Trophy Room, Skye Terrace, and Millions Row on Level 4 & 6. Claude and I were on Millionairs Row Level 6. We were assigned to table 61 with 3 other couples. I forgot to take my camera. Didn't even think of that being something I should think about. So what pictures I have I took with my little cell phone. The lunch was a really nice buffet. We arrived right about noon. They were just playing the National Anthem prior to the first race of the day. It is always moving when a huge banquet room full of people stand with their hands over their hearts and a trumpet plays the National Anthem in a clear tone. Our table had a lovely centerpiece with flowers in a Kentucky Colonel bud vase. Claude and I got to bring the vase home. At each plate was a pen and a nice stone coaster with the Kentucky Colonels on it. Claude and I did lunch first. I had not eaten and it was time to enjoy a morsel or two of food. I had potato salad, tossed green salad, roasted potatoes, vegetarian jambalaya with dirty rice, turkey and a roll. Claude picked our desserts from the dessert table. He had a bread pudding and I at a chocolate brownie with a side of cooked apples. The food was good. Our table was quiet. I did learn that the Brown's were from Lexington and the Eckler's were from Dry Ridge. Mr. Brown did some kind of work on a house in Sadieville and was aware of the Eagle Bend development in which we live. When the second race was won, we went outside of this Millionaire's Room to a terrace and watched the race from way up high. This was my first view of the race track itself. The Winner's Circle for the Kentucky Derby is right in the center of this picture.
It is always fun to watch a race. Even with my limited knowledge of horses I still find it a thing of beauty to watch them run. The first race we watched as we ate our lunch on the many monitors around the rooms. There are monitors everywhere. The line the walls. They bring the horses out and let them walk the track with the jockey on their back before the race begins. During this warm up one of the horses got away on the track. It was like watching real cowboy action to see one of the Churchill Downs horsemen run after and grab that race horse by the halter and pull him in. That horse reminded me of the Alaskan huskies we watched in Fairbanks. These huskies were just so eager to run they couldn't get them attached to the harness fast enough. This race horse was headed around the track as though someone were on his back and he was really running the race. Claude said, "He is sure to be the winner." Since no other horses were joining him and he was running alone, I'm sure Claude was exactly right. However, they did scratch him from the race because of his outburst. Even thoroughbred horses have to obey rules of conduct. The picture below is of the second race of the day from the Millionaire's Room terrace. This was the 6th floor of this building and the highest view you could have unless you went to the roof.
The fifth race of the day was the Kentucky Colonel's race. We stayed for seven of the 9 races and then headed for home. As we left we stopped to check out the rest of the facility a bit. As we went down the escalator we found this beautiful blown glass replica of Churchill Downs. The light coming through the window behind it made it and interesting thing to take a picture of. But each of these figures and the stands are all blown glass. There are blown glass race horses running the track and everything. It was a beautiful display.
We checked out the eatery area. Then we went out front to see the paddock area. This is where they walk the horses prior to their race.
It was a wonderful afternoon. The food was good, the weather was wonderful for being outside on that terrace, Claude and I are awful at picking who we think might win. Fortunately we don't have to worry about either of us gambling away the family home. Not gonna happen. But it is a fun afternoon to watch these magnificient animals. The jockeys are WAY to thin. I was amused that one of the races was won with a jockey that was 1 pound over in the weight of him and his saddle, etc. on the horse.
Having never been to a horse race in my life, I find it interesting that this year I was able to attend races at Keeneland in April with Claude and Katelyn and then again today at Churchill Downs. Way Cool!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment