Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Friendship...

In December and again this Sunday I witnessed remarkable friendships. In both cases it was ladies who truly cared for and about each other. In both cases, there was no competition between them for spotlight. There was only genuine concern and understanding and care for what the other was experiencing. There was complete giving of self and space to aid and assist the other. I know I'm not expressing it as deeply or as well as I have felt it each time. But as I left each situation, I marveled at the ability to truly love another, even without there being a genetic connection, as a sister should love a sister. It was beautiful and something I will strive for in my relationships with others. Two Sunday's ago I was invited to speak at the Visiting Teaching Conference of our Winchester Ward (congregation) Relief Society (women's organization). I gave a quote in my talk that I want to share here. It was given by Elder Marvin J. Ashton, who served in the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He was speaking of friendship and said, "No words are greater than a sincere, 'Thank you for being my friend'".

"How can we help a friend? An Arabian proverb helps us answer: ‘A friend is one to whom one may pour out all the contents of one’s heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that the gentlest of hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping, and with the breath of kindness blow the rest away.’ “Yes a friend is a person who is willing to take me the way I am but who is willing and able to leave me better than he found me.”

I'm very mindful of true friends. We all have friends, lots of them. But it is really a wonderful thing to have a true friend. Someone Anne of Green Gables calls a 'kindred spirit'. We need those kinds of friends and don't always have them in our lives. I've been blessed to have them as I have needed them in my life. Someone who is not a family member but really feels like a sister or brother to you. I do believe there is often just a connection that is there upon first meeting. But other times we have to work and develop that kind of a friendship. It's funny how often people tell stories about how they really didn't like someone when they first met them but after getting past the hurdles in their potential friendship, they became 'true kindred spirits'. I'm hoping that by writing these few thoughts they will be permanently written on my heart and I won't miss an opportunity to develop a friendship that might not come easily but could become like these sweet ladies I've met in December and this past Sunday. Real 'kindred spirits', there to keep what is worth keeping in a friendship and blow the rest away leaving me and them better than we were before.

No comments:

Post a Comment