Saturday, March 20, 2010

This has been a full week. Thursday was a particularly full day. Claude and I attended a dinner and class about living trusts a little over a week ago. We felt enough interest after the dinner to have a meeting with the investment management person and the investment attorney at their office in Lexington. That meeting was this past Thursday (March 18th). When we got to their office, the only parking was at a meter. Claude and I fished out some change and fed the meter so it had 1 hour on it. Our appointment time was for one hour. We visited with the investment man first. Really nice guy. His mannerisms remind be of George Bush the younger. Then the attorney came in to visit with us. We had been told he loved to talk and to keep on task. As the hour approached for the meter to need more change or us drive away, I asked him how diligent the meter readers were in that area. He said they were very diligent. So I excused myself to hurry and feed that meter. As I walked up to the Jeep, there was the meter reader. He was just turning away from the Jeep. I couldn't see the windshield. I said a cheery hello. He smiled and walked away. I got closer to the Jeep and saw no ticket. Yippee!!! The meter still had a few minutes on it. I scrambled inside the Jeep to where Claude tosses empty change and grabbed a handful of coins. I didn't have on my glasses so I was looking for the biggest coins first. I put a couple in and then realized they were NOT quarters. They were the coins they give us at the carwash to use on the vacuum machines. I turned to call the meter guy and ask if he could open the meter but he was long gone. There was nothing to do but let the vacuum coins stay there. I put more coins in to give us 2 more hours which should compensate for the fake coins in there. Unless of course, someone opening the meter uses the carwash by Walmart in Georgetown?!?!?! We finished our meeting and then hurried back to Sadieville for a 1pm meeting Claude had at City Hall. This meant we missed having lunch out and a grocery run. Such is life. We must be flexible. I worked on my computer until 2:30pm when I headed back into Georgetown to get the oil changed and tires rotated on my Buick. I anticipated an hour wait at least. I had just set up my work area to do my crocheting in the waiting room when the service man came in and said, "We're about through with your car. But we found, etc., etc., etc." Nothing of real consequence just those normal maintenance things we need to do for cars. I suggested he write them all on the invoice for the work I was having done and I would have Claude look at it. I love feigning ignorance when I don't have any desire to make that decision right now. A guy would probably not be able to do this at a car dealership. Makes me think of that old song, "I'm a girl and by me that's only great!!" This left me some extra time to fill. I called Papa and talked him into (this really doesn't take much talking) going to Dairy Queen with me for a Chocolate Extreme Blizzard. I introduced him to these wonderful treats and he is a addict. He doesn't take himself to Dairy Queen but if I call and say, "How about a Blizzard?" he is always ready. Papa and I had a nice visit and a great treat. Then I took him back to his apartment to help him with a computer issue and print out a family group sheet from Mimi's side of the family. Papa has been looking at Mimi's geneology and has a bee in his bonnet that we need to go to Watertown, Ohio and do some research there. I cleared March 29th to drive him up there and spend a few hours researching. Claude will stay home and have Tiny duty. (Get it Nissa?) I left Papa's and headed to the nursing home to feed Mimi dinner. We had a nice visit with the nurses trying to feed all the people at her table. Mimi ate everything. Several times she would lay her head over and I would lean in and she just rests her head on mine. Those are nice moments. Then I headed to the Church parking lot. I had a few minutes to work on my crocheting until time to go in for the Relief Society birthday event. Claude wants to have an item to donate for auction at some fund-raising dinner coming up. He asked me if I could crochet something. I pondered it and decided, since it is a political function, I would crochet a pattern I have for a heart-shaped doily that has white stars in it and blue, red, white then red borders. Really nice for a patriotic table. I've got the stars crocheted and am working on the blue borders around them. I'm at the part of tying in all those ends. There are 9 of them and that is a lot of ends. Tying in ends is my least favorite part of crocheting but it is also one of the most important. Leaving a long end to your thread and then weaving it back through the crocheted project so it can't be seen and no one can tell it is there but it is long enough to keep from coming undone if you need to wash to project is really a very important part of making something. The theme for Georgetown’s RS Birthday was “Your ‘Purse’-onal Journey”. Purses decorated the cultural hall. On the tables we were given little tablets shaped like purses. The napkins and plastic cups has purses stamped on them. Each sister was asked to bring her purse. They weighed our purses as we entered the cultural hall. Our opening hymn was sung to the melody of “Count Your Blessings” and the words were Your Purse-onal Journey. Really cute. A prayer was given. Then they launched into a session of calling out items and the sister who found that item in her purse and held it up first was given one of those little bitty chocolate bars. The sister with the most candy bars after the game got a gift bag made like a little purse. The Laurel’s were invited and one of them won and one of the adult sisters also won. Then we all ate from a salad/soup bar. After eating they gave a ‘purse’ gift bag to the sisters with the heaviest and the lightest purses. Then we had 4 speakers. Paula Wojasinski talked about our ‘Purse’-onal quest for learning. Julie Lamb talked about our ‘Purse’-onal finances. Kerry Rennick talked about our ‘Purse’onal relationship with the Savior. And Darby Z??? talked about our ‘Purse’-onal Journey in life. She used all kids of purses and bags to describe our lives and they journey we make through them. The closing was a short video about Relief Society. It incorporated Pres. Eyring’s talk at a General RS Meeting and also had clips of Sis. Beck, Sis. Allred, and Sis. Thompson’s remarks at the General RS Meeting about RS. Then we had a closing prayer. Those who wanted stayed for a caked that had a piece of cake on top that was iced and decorated to look like a small purse. It was a really fun evening and was very well attended. Yesterday (Friday) we headed into Georgetown to do the grocery run we missed on Thursday. After returning home we put the groceries away and I went to visit a friend. She had surgery on her foot (a bunyon removed). We visited for about 1 hour. I took her tulips. I told her she needed a little spring in her home while she recuperated. Then her hubby returned from his run to pick up their medicines. We visited for about another 30 minutes. It felt like I was back in my old Southern childhood. We would go to visit friends just for fun. You might sit on a porch swing and chat with lemonade and a cookie. We always kept a quick snack to share if someone popped in. It was just pleasant to sit and visit about good things with two friends. I think TV and things have replaced this a lot. Both parents working keeps evening full of things mom's may have done during the day. It just keeps life more hectic and often hard to spend time visiting like that. Then it was back home to prepare for company coming to dinner. Claude and I prepared dinner by committee. He barbequed the first time this year. It was chicken with Blueberry BBQ Sauce. Really good flavor there. Claude said this BBQ sauce would probably be really good on pork as well. I made peas & cheese salad, rolls, and potatoes. The potatoes were and old recipe I had where you hold a wooden spoon close beside the potato and then cut the potato in thin (1/4 inch or less) slices. The wooden spoon keeps you from cutting all the way through the potato. Then you kind of fan out the potato, brush it with melted butter, sprinkle salt and herbs of your choosing on top, and then bake until done. Just before serving, you sprinkle the top of the potatoes with shredded cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese. It was a great meal that we finished off with a strawberry cheesecake ice-cream cake from Dairy Queen. We had a great time visiting with our friends. It was just a very pleasant evening. Today Claude and I are both home. It is a catch-up day with lots of little things needing to be finished off. Like catching up on my blog. It's been a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment