Wednesday, May 12, 2010

'Y'ittle Things...

I just love that our Bailey puts a 'Y' in the place of an 'L' when she talks. There will come a day when she does not do this but for now I find myself hearing some words as Bailey would say them and it just sounds good. So I title my blog entry for today 'Y'ittle Things...

First...a scripture comes to mind:  "Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great." (Doctrine & Covenants 64:33)

I kept noticing 'y'ittle things in my day yesterday and then again this morning.

A 'Y'ittle Technology:
Yesterday I spent 1 hour of my morning adding more addresses to Outlook on my computer. It got me into the D's and that felt good. Didn't have a lot of time to devote to this mammoth project but it felt really good to know I had done another hour of it.

A 'Y'ittle Worry:
I wanted to see my parents yesterday. I called Papa about 9am to see if he wanted to practice music and have some lunch together. I got no answer but wasn't concerned because I know he usually goes to the Pavilion around that time for his morning walk. I tried to call again about 11:15 but still got know answer. I left a 2nd voice message and continued with my morning. I got myself ready and headed to Georgetown. I drove to the nursing home figuring I would visit with Mimi and Papa while Papa was feeding Mimi lunch. Papa's car was not in front of the nursing home. Now, I began to be concerned. It wouldn't have surprised me if he just didn't think to return my phone call. But I knew he wouldn't miss lunch with Mimi unless something was wrong. Images of him collapsed on the floor of his apartment raced through my mind. I turned around and headed to his apartment. When I got there his car was not in the driveway. I went in the apartment and no Papa. Tiny was happy to get a chew stick, but no Papa. I checked for his car and it was not in the garage. The answering machine was still beeping indicating he had not been there to get my messages. Back to the nursing home I headed. I went in and finished feeding Mimi her lunch. The CNA said Papa had called to say he wouldn't be there. Hmmmm...  About 1pm I got a call on my cell phone from Papa. He had taken the missionaries to do their exchange of companions that morning. He had been to Lexington and to Louisville and that was why he was not there. I told him I was finishing feeding Mimi and I would like to take him to lunch. He was happy with that idea.

A 'Y'ittle Dining:
I drove back to Papa's apartment and picked him up and told him I was hungry for Arby's. He said that was fine with him. While standing at the counter looking at the menu, I knew I wanted a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich. That's my meal at Arby's with a soda and no fries. Papa said, "I haven't eaten a hamburger in so long. I really would like a hamburger." Papa wears false teeth and some things are just too uncomfortable to chew. I told him they don't have hamburger patty burgers at Arby's but they do have a sandwich that is made like a hamburger only it has roast beef in place of the burger patty. I pointed the three choices out to him and he picked the one that looked the best. I assured him they had plastic forks and knives and we could cut it up if he couldn't bite through it. I gave him his drink cup and he went to fill it. While he was gone I added an apple turnover for each of us. They gave me my cup and I went to fill it. Papa found us a table and then he waited for our order at the counter. He was able to eat that roast beef burger. It was a little thick but he made it through it. He was delighted with his apple turnover. The rest of the afternoon he just kept commenting about how 'good' that meal was. It was a 'y'ittle meal, not very expensive, but he meant a world to Papa and as a consequence of him being happy, I was happy.

A 'Y'ittle Planning:
After lunch I drove us to Johnson's Funeral Home. We were going to be sure we had the last of Mimi's funeral arrangements paid for. We met with Tony. He pulled our file on Mimi's funeral and we reviewed exactly where we stood. We were able to pay for all the final pieces of that cost. It felt good to us to have that completed. I made sure a couple of weeks ago we had her clothing all ready. It may seem morbid to some but to me it feels a bit more prepared for 'whenever' with regard to my mom. I know when the time comes that she graduates to the next level of our existence, not having to worry about these arrangments will make the process a 'y'ittle easier.

A 'Y'iddle Music:
When we finished at the funeral home, I drove us back to Papa's apartment. We pulled out the tablet to write the program on, the books with the words to the songs and Papa picked one of his guitars to practice with. We had a 'y'ittle bit of our afternoon picking the next set of songs for us to sing and running through them to find pitches and determine who would sing lead and who would sing harmony. Now Papa could spend some time that evening picking out his songs to sing solo and what to play on the harmonica and mandolin. A 'y'ittle more ready for singing this afternoon. Earlier in the day when I entered the dining room to feed mom one of the ladies looked up at me and grinned really big and said, "Are you coming to sing today?" She was just eager for us to sing for them. It's a 'y'ittle thing that is not very professional at all but is truly enjoyed by the residents at the nursing home, by Papa and by me.

A 'Y'ittle Time to Myself:
We have two graduations this year. Hayden graduates from Pre-School this Thursday. Claude and I will head over early tomorrow morning to witness that major event in a 5 year olds life. I wanted to get him a 'y'ittle graduation gift. Being closer to Lexington while visiting Papa, I determined I would head to Barnes & Noble to check on an item Andie told me about that Hayden would like. This is fun for me. I really don't trek off shopping by myself often. I needed some embroidery thread (and since Walmart determined that is not an item they care to stock anymore) so Michael's was another stop and they are near each other in Lexington. It was pleasant to look for the item for Hayden and then browse through things a Michael's. A crafty girl likes to do that every now and then. I actually only got two things of embroidery thread and 3 Sudoku books and 2 Mathdoku books. But it was a 'y'ittle time to do something I wanted to do for me.

A 'Y'ittle Time with the Hubby:
I headed back to Sadieville and found my dear hubby stretched out on the sofa watching old sitcoms on TV. We discussed dinner possibilities and determined to take the easy route and use up hot dog buns we purchased when the Mini-Marx's visited. Claude made us some killer chili dogs. We sat and had a 'y'ittle bit of dinner together and caught up on each of our days.

A 'Y'ittle More Computer Time:
Then I spent the remainder of my evening working on more names in Outlook's contact list. I'm all the way up to the 'H's' . Not a lot, just a 'y'ittle, but it once again feels good to get that accomplished.

A 'Y'ittle Money:
And finally this morning as we were starting our day, Claude said, "I have a 'y'ittle check for you to sign." I said, "What did we get a check for?"  Claude said, "It was some class action law suit I signed us on."  I said, "How 'y'ittle is this check?"  Claude said, "Two dollars and fifty cents."  At which point I lost it in laughter. Having worked with finances I know it probably cost them more in labor and product to print that check for $2.50 than it is worth. Such silliness. I assured Claude I think we only added weight to the lawsuit for whoever made the big money out of it. But it is fun to start the day with a 'y'ittle bit more money. He said we could have a bite to eat on our day in Louisville on the checks he and I each got for $2.50 each.

A 'Y'ot of Rain:
Now we are having big thunder and lightening storms this morning in Sadieville. I'm going to close this blog and do my 'y'ittle jigsaw puzzle on my BellSouth homepage. Then I'm going to type in a 'y'ittle bit more into my Outlook software so I can get it all to my new 'y'ittle Blackberry. Then I'm going to pull together my stuff for my 'y'ittle presidency meeting this evening.

And now to paraphrase my starting scripture..."By 'y'ittle and simple things, great days are brought to pass."

No comments:

Post a Comment