Sunday, December 5, 2010

Sunday's Chuckle...

I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In our Church we are each given a 'calling'. In October I was released from my last calling as Stake Relief Society President. In November I was asked to serve in the calling of Stake Music Chorister.

This weekend was our semi-annual Stake Conference for the Lexington North Stake. All eight congregations in this area meet together two times each year over a Saturday and Sunday for training and uplifting meetings. This Stake Conference would be my first time to lead the music as part of the responsibilities of my new calling.

Saturday evening there is an adult session at 6pm. I was prepared to lead the congregational singing and to accompany James Jenkins as he sang a solo for a special musical number that evening.

I positioned myself on the stand where the chorister usually stands, between the organ and the piano. It was actually a lot of fun to lead the congregational opening hymn.

When it came time for the intermediate hymn, I walked back up to the stand from where I sat with Claude and Papa on the front side pew. When I got up there I realized I forgot my glasses. I just moved my music stand a little further away. The 1st Counselor in the Stake Presidency turned around to grin at me and I mouthed the words, "I forgot my glasses!" David Rennick motioned to see if I wanted to use his readers. I shook my head no.

At this point Pres. Hymus, our Stake President, stood and had the congregation standing. Suddenly, with all the speakers and Stake Presidency standing in front of me, I was not as tall as I seemed before. We pressed on and sang a rousing intermediate hymn.

After the closing hymn and prayer, I went back to the bench where Claude was still sitting and found Howard Carter chatting with Claude. They assured me they had, had a discussion and taken a vote, 2-0, that I was not tall enough and needed to stand on top of something for everyone to see me. Later as I was leaving David Adams assured me I was not tall enough either.

This morning as we got to Stake Conference we secured our front side pew. I sat with Claude until I needed to go to the stand to lead the opening hymn. We chatted about where I would stand. I determined to stand on the lower step up that the choir seats are in and see if that was better.

And there you have Sunday's Chuckle!!

Then I leaned to my dear hubby and made a silly comment something like, "I guess I'm laterally challenged." Claude just grinned really big before starting the laughing process. Then I realized what I said wrong, can you tell what it was? Claude then told me I probably meant to say I was 'vertically challenged' not 'laterally challenged'.

We chuckled until Claude's face was red. I assured him I was very grateful he was just laughing and not saying all those great one-liners that were definitely spinning around in his head.

No comments:

Post a Comment