Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Digital Emotions...

Today I ran the gamut on digital emotions. Let me explain...

When we left for Michigan last Friday, I turned my laptop completely off. When we returned home yesterday, I came down to my sewing room and turned my laptop back on. When I sat down to use it I noticed something wasn't quite right. It didn't take me long to figure out my backspace key was not right. I have had trouble with the enter key trying to pop off and I have always been able to press it down and it pops back into place. I tried that same trick with the backspace key to no avail. In fact, the top of the key came completely off. What a depressing digital event.

Today was Claude and my turn at the Family History Center in Lexington. I always take my laptop and my mother's handwritten journal. I'm trying to type her journal so we can all have a digital copy.

After we finished our shift at the Family History Center we headed to Chipotle's for lunch. We placed our order, Claude stayed at the counter to pay and get the food and I took the cups to fill with our sodas. I found us a seat and Claude had a satisfied look on his face when we met up at the table. Hmmmm...what was up with that? He shared that the computers were down at Chipotle so, rather than manually figure our bill, they gave us our lunch for free. What a digitally happy event. Claude and I were happy with a free meal. The Chipotle people were happy because the computer issue happened when there were only two people as customers and they hoped it would be fixed before the dinner rush.

Claude then took me to the Best Buy store in Hamburg Pavilion and I found the desk for the Geek Squad to ask about my computer. A man at the counter took my laptop and tried to get the backspace key to snap back in place while I watched. I did not know the back side of the key has a plastic piece that you can pull out a little and it should clip onto the metal pieces on the actual keyboard. He couldn't get that to work so he took the laptop to the back where he had some tools to help instead of just using his fingers. When he returned the news was not good. The metal pieces on the actual keyboard were broken and he could not fix it. I asked if a keyboard piece could be installed. Nope. The entire keyboard has to be ordered and installed at a cost of $30 to $80 and a repair time for them of up to two weeks. Digital anxiety and depression could be inserted here.

So today I felt the ups and downs of living in a digital age. I brought my laptop home and am slowly trying to get used to using the left arrow key to return to before where a correction needs to be made and then use my delete key to help with that correction. Geez!!!

I shall now ponder the next move in my digital dilemma.

No comments:

Post a Comment