Friday, May 24, 2013

Retracing Papa's History...Day 1

My dear father will not have a car after July 1st. This is a VERY BIG DEAL. My father has just a few things that he truly enjoys doing. One of those is driving, just for the joy of the drive and looking at the countryside. He could do this for hours and days and be very, very happy. Maybe this is why he made such a good long haul truck driver. So, losing that opportunity to get in a car and drive will be a major adjustment in his life and, by extension, my life.

When the reality of this began to set in, Papa determined he wanted to go home to Winnfield, Louisiana one more time. He wanted to see if he could find the old home places his family lived in when he was a very little boy until he grew up and left home. He was planning on doing this on his own and me watching his little dog, Tiny. I had major concerns about him doing this trip alone. I had no doubt in my mind he needed the trip. So I told him I would join him on this trip. I told Claude I was going on a road trip with my father. Claude said, "I want to come." And that is how it started.

The major obstacle was Tiny. She has never been in a kennel in her life. If she isn't with Papa, she is with me. I told Papa that she would have to be kenneled if all three of us took this trip. I had asked over Facebook if any of my friends could highly recommend a kennel. One of them gave me the name of one in Lexington that they praised highly. I told Papa I had a great recommendation but it would only work if he agreed to it. Then I left him to mull it over.

He thought about it and agreed we could do it but it would break his heart. I understood but knew I could trust these dear friends recommendation. I got the information and then made a reservation for Tiny.

Thursday I hurried to Papa's apartment after our Frankfort adventure and picked up Tiny's halter and leash. Tiny cowered. She hates a leash. I was only taking it for the kennel to use. I told her to say goodbye to Papa so she could go on her vacation. She just didn't know what to think of what was happening. We got her in my car and I headed to Lexington. It was 4:10 and I had to have her to the kennel before 5pm. Tiny hates to ride in a car. It didn't take many seconds before she began to shiver. I didn't take the turns to get her to Sadieville so she knew something was just not right about this trip. Then the rain started to pour down. Tiny hates rain. She was beside herself with confusion and fear. Eventually she got down on the floor on the passenger side of the car and tried to get so she couldn't see out the window. She just shivered and scratched at the floor. I just kept driving. This was the perfect storm in Tinyland.

We made it to the kennel just before 5pm. Just as we pulled into their parking lot the rain started to come down in buckets. Poor Tiny jumped out of the car as quick as I opened the door only to be hit in the face by rain. She hadn't expected that. I hurried her up the steps and she ran into the clinic portion. The ladies took the last of the paperwork I needed for Tiny to stay there. Then one of them came and talked to Tiny and she picked her up. Once Tiny was in her arms she calmed right down and perked up her ears. She was happy and going to be fine.

When I got back to Georgetown for the Homemaker's dinner, I called Papa before I went in and told him how happy she was. You could hear relief in his voice.

This morning we picked Papa up at 7am and hit the road. Claude is our driver so Papa can look out the window and enjoy the countryside. I'm sitting in the back seat so I can spread out all my junk. I have my cell phone on a charger and when Papa starts into some of his history I set my cell phone to record and hand it to Papa. He is actually getting very comfortable with telling his history into the cell phone.

Claude and I have gotten a kick out of him. He has told his story of him and mom getting married twice to us and once at dinner tonight. He started one story about motorcycle riding and got off on a tangent and never came back to the motorcycle story.

We drove past one town named Bucksnort, Tennessee.  I mean really!! 

Tonight we checked into our motel in Little Rock and then headed to John and Wanda Finney's home. Wanda prepared a delicious ham dinner for us. We visited for a while and then left Papa to have a sleepover and nice visit with his dear friend from his childhood.

So far, our trip is a success.  Now for a good nights rest before we pick up Papa in the morning and head to Winnfield.

Here are John Finney, Papa and Wanda Finney.

No comments:

Post a Comment