Thursday, October 2, 2014

The Hidden Blessing...

I blogged about my unfortunate incident with the pencil lead in my foot.  After Dr. Culbertson worked his magic he gave me a tetanus shot and an antibiotic.  That was over a week ago.  I took all the antibiotic.

Now, here is what I don't understand. If one takes the full dose of antibiotic, how does one still get an awful cold of some sort?  Really?  How does this happen?

Tuesday, Claude was not available to help me cover our shift at the Family History Center.  I asked Papa if he would like to join me this time.  Ever anxious to get out of his apartment and to actually do something that resembles work, or helping others, or anything but just sitting and thinking and watching, he jumped at the opportunity.  I use the word jumped as a figurative form of speech.  Papa is way past jumping. 

Tuesday morning I got up before 7am when my alarm was set to wake me up.  Oh to sleep until the alarm goes off...but that is another story.  When I got up, I realized my throat was very sore. Now, I have allergies so I attributed this to allergies and maybe sleeping with my mouth open.  I know, not a pretty picture but possibly true.  I got myself ready and made sure I swished with Listerine really well, just in case.

I picked up Papa and he was ready, waiting and fairly flew out the door.  Well, as fast as an 86 year old man with bad arthritis in his back can fly.  Can't jump but he can fly. Go figure.  We went to Lexington and started our shift.  My throat was not getting better.  I was having a lot of fun trying to focus.  Hmmm...maybe this was really a sore throat and not allergies. We were blessed on our shift with no patrons coming through the door.  I did answer a call and help someone.  But I didn't spread my germs to anyone coming through the door.  Plus, with no patrons, we left 1/2 hour early.

I took Papa to his favorite restaurant and purchased lunch for him to-go. Then I took Papa home and deposited him and his lunch, made a grocery list and went to Kroger to get him some groceries.  Wanted to be sure he was stocked as I was feeling worse every minute and not sure when I would be back in town. I delivered Papa's groceries and picked up a DVD.  I stopped by the nursing home and gave the DVD to Bonnie and explained I might not be back in on Wednesday to bring Papa because I was not feeling well.  Then to Walmart to pick up my groceries.  The Buick took me back to Sadieville.  I was fully prepared as now I was pretty sure this was not just allergies.

Upon entering our home my hubby looked at me and pronounced I was not well. Good, it was not just my imagination.

We got the groceries put away. I put on comfortable clothes and settled in for the rest of the night.  All I could do was look at my dear hubby and say, "But I took my antibiotics for a week!"

I was to have attended our Countryside Homemakers Club Wednesday morning. Part of my grocery purchase was to prepare something to share at lunch.  I was also to have taught the craft. I called Kathy Dunaway, our president, and told her I was sure I was not going to make it.  I had prepared the additional calendars she needed and would leave them on the front doorstep for her so she didn't have to come near my germs.

I found some pain reliever med, took that and went to bed early.  All my ducks where in a row so I could take a day off and rest and get better.

Wednesday morning found me feeling absolutely awful and very grateful I had put things in order to be home.  However, I am not a 'sit still' kind of gal.  I gathered the catalogs that have started coming to my home in anticipation of Christmas gift purchasing and headed to the basement.  Claude's 65th birthday is Saturday and I had ideas for a gift but nothing purchased yet.  I would tackle that on-line first, before I ran out of energy. 

That purchase made, I decided to go through the catalogs on hand.  But first I needed to get a base from which to work. 

Back upstairs I headed to our bedroom and retrieve the big bag of Christmas presents we purchased while in LaGrange the Friday before.  I also went through a basket I keep in my closet in my craft room with gifts to give.  Then I opened my Word file and the 2014 Gift List grid.  I prepared it to take 2015 information.  Then I went through the gifts purchased in LaGrange and the gifts stored in my closet and added them to the grid.  Now, I was ready to do battle with the catalogs. I knew who I was buying for, what I had already purchased and who I needed to purchase something for.  As I went through the catalogs, I tore out the pages with an item I thought might work for someone. When I finished with the catalog, I tore off the cover and tucked the pages I tore out inside the cover. Then disposed of the rest of the catalog. I could feel pressure to get things done, with no time to do it, lifting off my back.  

I would pause and replenish my water, or get my lunch, or just stop for a bit.  Claude would come down and check on me.  I did not over do in any way.  But as the day progressed, I began to see the blessing in being sick. I could approach a task that was weighing heavily on my mind and get some of it done at a very leisurely pace.  This was good.  

As evening wore on, Claude prepared dinner and called me upstairs.  I shut down my work and enjoyed a nice dinner with Claude.  Then I sat in front of the television with a stack of papers I was weeding through and cleared that off my to-do list (don't laugh Laura!!). When I started to fever up I took more meds and headed to bed.

Today, after a poor nights sleep, really just couldn't sleep, I am a little better.  My day was supposed to have been spent weeding all my flower beds before its gets too cold.  That is not going to happen.  So I'm in my basement craft room again, doing this Blog while I multi-task at a project I'm working on for Christmas for my family.  Breaks are taken liberally. Lots of water consumed.  Lots of rest taken.  Read a book Hayden gave me.

Lesson learned...Sometimes being sick is a hidden blessing. While this may not sound like a 'slow down' to others. To me it has been a blessed reprieve with a valid reason to stay in and slow down.  I believe it is a gift from a benevolent Heavenly Father who knows me better than I know myself.  My prayers to help me prioritize those good things I wanted to accomplish were answered with a cold in my nose...and chest...and head. But it slowed my pace to accomplish and lift some of those things that were weighing heavy on me. Never thought I would feel gratitude for a cold, but I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment