Sunday, December 21, 2014

Reflecting on Blessings...

Today is the Sunday before Christmas.  That means a Sacrament meeting focused on Christmas with some of the music performed by the choir.  It also meant a special Primary re-enactment of the Nativity.  As I enjoyed and participated in all of these moments, I found myself reflecting on the blessings at this time of year.  

Friday, before Claude and I went to our Christmas dinner, we stopped at a friends home.  She lives with her daughter and grandchildren.  She has been under the weather.  I visited her during the week and asked if she needed a priesthood blessing.  She said, "Yes, I would like that."  I told her I would set up one for the next evening.  I asked my husband and contacted our Bishop to see who else might be able to help.  Bishop said he would love to be the other priesthood holder there.  I contacted my friend and she said that 4:10 would be best.  Claude and I met the Bishop at my friend's home.  Bishop gave the blessing.  It was so sweet and peaceful and full of strengthening words for my friend.  This sweet lady asks very little of me as her visiting teacher.  It felt good to be able to serve her in some small way.  Then I reflected on the blessing of the priesthood in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I could not give the blessing.  It was done by and through the priesthood which Claude and Bishop hold.  I could set up the time and get all the players in position, but the priesthood gave the dear lady the blessing.  I love that.  At this time, there are members who have issues with men holding the priesthood.  My heart aches at that.  The priesthood is to serve others.  It is not and was never intended to be a male versus female thing.  Today's world environment and thinking have led to this negative feeling.  This need to make men and women compete for the world's view of equality.  Watching this sweet experience and feeling the spirit in the home and two good men provide this service through priesthood power was another proof to me of this being right and good.  A true blessing for everyone involved including her family.

Today in Sacrament meeting the choir sang two beautiful numbers.  There were two speakers who gave beautiful messages about love, service, gifts we receive from our Heavenly Father through his Son, and our responsibility to follow the Savior's example is caring, loving and serving others as He did.  At one point the congregation was asked to stand and sing "Joy to the World".  The organist push lots of stops on the organ and played this beloved Christmas carol full and loud.  The congregation matched him in vigor and enthusiasm.  I was sitting in the choir seats and happened to look down at my father. Papa was standing and singing as well.  I suddenly noticed how he was not standing straight. He looked more frail.  His color didn't look as good as usual.  He isn't sick.  He is fine.  I just saw him for a different view point and it was a bit jarring.  Then I had a very, very strong feeling this would be my last Christmas with Papa.  I felt my eyes fill with tears.  Now, this may or may not be the last Christmas with Papa.  But the feeling was so strong.  While caring for him is often difficult, I have remained grateful to have this time at his end of life to share with him.  I have said and known that when he passes it will be much harder on me than when my mother passed away two years ago.  The situation is different from my mother's passing and the feelings will be different.  I'm grateful I recognized this after my mother's passing so I can prepare myself to deal with it.  Hope this little experience gives me patience when times I difficult and the ability to truly enjoy the times that are light and fun with Papa.  

Then Primary happened.  I only have this week and one more to enjoy these little ones.  Then I will be released as Primary president and begin to teach Institute.  My time will be spent preparing lessons for those 18 to 31 years of age.  I'll miss these little nuggets.

Today, Bernie, my counselor, had costumes for the characters in the Nativity.  I created a play using the scriptures for the narrator to read.  I added some Christmas music so the entire Primary would be participating.  We spent most of our sharing time re-enacting the Nativity story with these precious children performing their parts.  These are some of the pictures of the children.  We have a Junior Primary with children 3 to 8 years of age.  We also have a Senior Primary with children 8 to 11 years of age.  You never know what they will do or say.  Without guile would be a great way to phrase this stage of their lives.  They enjoyed this celebration of the Savior's birth.  Please look at their expressions.  The wise men crack me up in Junior Primary.  The girls who were Mary took to the role in a most natural way.  In Senior Primary one of the wise men asked if they were to give Mary and Joseph their gifts.  Joseph was right ready to take those gifts.  So cute.  We had the doll wrapped in swaddling clothes lying by the pulpit until time to for the birth.  Then the narrator picked the doll up and handed it to Mary.  Please note Joseph's face in the Senior Primary pictures looking at the poor Baby Jesus just laying their till his cue.  There were tender moments and just moments of fun.  But the feeling was a good one, especially to prepare for Christmas.  Again, a blessing to experience Christmas through children.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
After church, Claude and I went to Papa's.  In the Church, after a person receives a calling, they are given a blessing to help them in their service.  Again, this is done by the priesthood.  In my case with my calling to teach Institute, I needed to have a blessing.  Claude could give it as he holds the priesthood.  But he needed another priesthood holder to be there and assist.  We asked Papa if he would help with this blessing.  One of the difficult things about aging and being in Papa's place in life, is the lack of places you can serve and be active in the Church in that way.  Since Papa lived his life full of service in the Church, this has been particularly hard for him.  Asking him to help with the blessing let's him know he is still able to serve and allowed him to use the priesthood again in that service.  Claude gave a beautiful blessing and Papa was so happy to help.  That my friends was a true blessing in my life.

So, I came home full of gratitude for these little blessing of this weekend.  It felt like the Christmas spirit was a part of my life and that is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment