Sunday, January 18, 2015

Dentistry for Dogs...

Papa's little dog Tiny was taken to the vet on Monday, January 5th, for her annual shots.  While there we were once again informed how bad the plaque build-up was on her teeth.  Apparently,  just as in humans, if this is allowed to continue, it can damage her heart.  Now, Tiny turned 15 years old the end of 1999.  This is very old for a little dog.  But she has been very well taken care of and we need to prolong her life so Papa has his little companion as long as he is around.  So, the decision as to whether or not to get these teeth cleaned to aid in prolonging her life was a no brainer for me.

She would have to be put under anesthesia. Test would need to be done to determine her ability to handle that at her age.  She would need to spend the day at the vet.  The risk was there, even if the test showed she could probably handle the anesthesia, for death with the procedure.  All this was explained to Papa and I, but with his hearing problems and his inability to stay focused when being given instructions, he really didn't get what was going on.  I restated the process to Papa and he agreed we should let them clean Tiny's teeth if they could.  An appointment was made to drop Tiny off at 8am Monday, January 12th.   

I picked Papa and Tiny up and we were to the vets just before 8am.  They took Tiny and told us it would take about a half hour to do the tests and determine if she could have the dental cleaning.  It was a cold, wet day.  Papa and I went to the car.  The car seat is so much easier on his back than those straight back chairs at the vets.  I told him I would prefer waiting there to be sure she could have the procedure than driving to his apartment and then turning around to come back and get her if she could not have the procedure.  He agreed. So we put his seat back even further and settled in for a little chat.

I waited for 45 minutes and then went back in to see how things were progressing.  Tiny was good to go on the cleaning and I was told to be back after 2:30pm.  Back to the car and told Papa she was having her teeth cleaned and we could pick her up at 2:30pm.  As I drove to Papa's apartment, I again explained what we were doing with Tiny.  Papa couldn't remember at all what and why it was being done the way it was.  Bless his heart his memory is just not good at all.  I told him about the risk to her life but that the vet felt she would be okay so they were going to give her anesthetic and do the cleaning.  Papa seemed okay but I know he was concerned as this was explained again.

I left Papa at his apartment and went to get his groceries.  When I returned and put the groceries away, Papa explained that he had already found himself twice looking for her while I was at the grocery store.  It would be a long day for him without Tiny.  I refilled Papa's prescription cases and then headed off to have lunch with Claude and the rest of the Chamber of Commerce.  I ran my Georgetown errands and finished just before 2:30.  

The plan was to pick up Papa and take him to get Tiny at 2:30pm.  I was so close to the vet's office.  I popped into Arby's for a soda and then went to get Tiny without Papa.  She did great.  The vet gave post op instructions.  Warned about giving her too much to eat too fast as the anesthesia can cause nausea until it leaves the system completely.  Tiny was happy to see a familiar face.  She came right to me and snuggled in my arms.  I put her in the car and she climbed up on the arm rest and nuzzled her nose right under my arm.  I was thinking she should ride in the passenger seat but she was sure she needed more reassurance.  Back on the arm rest and under my right arm she came.  I just wrapped my arm around her and kept saying calming things to her as she shivered.  She really, really hates riding in a car and having just finished her vet experience was just over-the-top unsettling for her.

We pulled into Papa's drive way and she was decidedly happy.  She knew where she was.  I opened the door and a happier Papa could not have found.  His little girl was home.  I gave him strict instructions about not feeding her until 6pm or after, water was okay.  I gave him her new toothbrush and told him how to use it.  Then I left this interesting pair to be happy being together again. They really are each lost without the other.

The epilogue to this story is my stopping in Friday to take Papa to Dr. Weckman for his blood density test.  I was standing at the door waiting for Papa to come to get in the car and I looked over at Tiny standing in his bedroom.  She was shivering.  I think she thought I was taking her to the vet again.  Poor little creature.  I assured her I was not going to do that.  She still shivered.  But she is a lot perkier with her clean teeth.  Hang in there Tiny and continue to fill the measure of your creation!!

No comments:

Post a Comment