Tuesday, January 6, 2015

My Local Boys...

If I were still the Primary president, my Monday would have been filled in the morning with a presidency meeting.  Since I am not the Primary president, I found myself with a free morning, my Institute lesson prepared by Sunday evening, so I challenged Papa to pick a route that took about 5 or 6 hours and we would take the red Buick for a spin.  As it turned out the weather for Monday was for a clear but cold day. Perfect for a nice drive in a warm car.

Papa chose to take the Scenic Hwy 460 from Georgetown through Paris and to Mt. Sterling, Kentucky.  Then we got up on I-64 and headed north to the exit for Hwy 801.  This drive took us round Cave Run Lake and to Hwy. 1274.  We drove south on Hwy 1274 to Hwy 36.  Papa's route had us going left on Hwy 36 to Hwy 460 and back to Georgetown.  We had more time to drive so I quickly noted on his paper atlas of Kentucky before we left his apartment, some additional roads we could take if we had time to do so.  As it turns out, we did, even with the pull outs to look at scenery.  When we arrived at Hwy 36, I turned right instead of left and went back up through Daniel Boone National Forest to Hwy 965, then to Hwy 713 back to Mt. Sterling, Kentucky.  By then it was 2pm and time for lunch.  We had a nice lunch at Burger King. Papa bought since the Marx family gave him a gift for lunch when he and I were on a drive.  Thanks Marx family.  After lunch we got back on 460 and headed back to Paris and then Georgetown.

Around Cave Run Lake, I found a pull off for some ponds.  I really must research these ponds and find how they were formed.  They almost look like glacial ponds left over when some glacier melted and pulled back during the Ice Age.  I'm definitely not a geologist, but I can see where this kind of land formation would pique someone's curiosity.  The things is, this first pond was higher than the lake.  And they were ponds that didn't appear to have waterfalls going down to a lower level.  I noticed at least 3 layers of ponds before the lake came into view much further away.  There was a stream further down the road after we left but it was on the lower level.  It seemed like maybe beavers made the ponds and then abandoned them.  Something like places we saw in Alaska when riding the Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Fairbanks.  I know Kentucky has limestone in layers under the ground and that water flows between the layers.  That is why we have sink holes as the rock wears away.  I am also aware of springs underground that bubble up and make ponds.  I'm not sure which of these factors or if any of them fit into the formation of the pretty ponds but it was a delightful view.  There was a little viewing platform and there had been a bench there.  Only one piece of it was still there on a post.  It was probably not the wisest of moves to take this 64 year old out-of-shape body and climb on top of this little perch just wide enough for my feet to stand on.  But it allowed me to be a little higher for the picture.  What is a girl to do?  Why, hop up on the seat and try to keep her balance while she takes a picture with her cell phone, of course!! 
Another place for a picture was one of several rock walls we drove through.  I'm guessing the pioneers who first crossed this part of our country didn't have this nice cut through the mountain to get to the other side.  It does give one a great picture of Kentucky soil. Ha!!  No traffic so I stopped the car, pulled out the cell phone from the pocket on my door and took this picture from inside the car.  Papa's role was to watch for any traffic. He makes a pretty good lookout.
Papa and I made it back to Georgetown before 4pm. I had a grocery list for him so he waited in the car while I took the time to get the groceries before heading to his apartment. We left the groceries in the car and I got Tiny out to my car. She had a vet appointment for her annual shots and getting her nails clipped.  It got up to a blistering 24 degrees yesterday so I figured the trunk of my car was as cold as the fridge and everything would be fine while we visited the vet.  Tiny really hates the vet.  She did great.  We have another appointment Monday to get her teeth cleaned.  We went back to Papa's apartment and unloaded the groceries.  Then I headed home to Sadieville and got there about 6pm.  That was an 8 hour day. Whew.  Papa was worn out and ready to recline in his chair.  I felt the same way. 
My hubby was happy to inform me he used my camera.  I am the shutterbug in the family.  Claude will take a picture if I ask him but he really never uses the camera.  He did take video when we used a video camera years ago, but now he just leaves the picture taking duties to me.  So I was quite amused that he found my camera and actually took this amazing sunset picture.  He was quite happy with it as well.

I picked up my library book at the Library Express in Sadieville.  We are planning a trip to Key West. I found a list of authors who lived and wrote while in Key West.  I decided to read something from Ernest Hemingway first.  So I ended my day curled up on the sofa reading my book while Claude watched a little television.

It was a full day.  A good day with each of my local boys figuring into the day's making.  I am always amazed at the majesty and beauty and diversity of the world created for us to reside on.  Living in Kentucky always affords a beautiful drive no matter which roads are chosen for the ride.  Grateful for being able to get Papa out of his apartment and let him enjoy one of those things that he loves best in life.  It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment