Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Points to Ponder...

Point #1:

My poor hubby has been trying to get an implant for a tooth that went bad.  It started last April...can you believe that?  We went two weeks ago and they checked the post and said they wanted to give it a bit longer.  He was given a special mouthwash which he has used exactly as directed.  This morning we took him back to the dentist before going to the Family History Center.  I sat in the car and read my book.  (Not a lot of time for discretionary reading, so I treasure these quiet moments.)  I read a good bit and then thought to myself, "Self, this seems to be taking a longer time that Claude thought he was going to be in the dentist office."  Then I went back to my book.  After a bit my hubby came out with a puffy chin from gauze being stuffed in his mouth.  Hmmmm...not just a quick check.  It seems they felt like they needed to replace the post!!  Cut the gum and did their work, stitched him up and sent him out with a prescription for more mouth wash and a LOT of gauze.  I asked him if he needed to go home.  He shook his head no.  I asked if he wanted me to drive the Jeep.  Again, a head shake for no.  (This is really funny because, in all the years he has owned this Jeep, I have never driven it once.  I guess today wouldn't be the day either.)  I asked if I could still have my plain biscuit and soda from McDonald's or did he feel like doing that for me.  He was fine with it and drove to McDonald's near the dentist and parked the car.  I asked if we were going in?  He said he didn't think he could place an intelligible order with a wad of gauze in his mouth.  Good point.  I ordered for us and we were on our way.  Goodness.  We'll go two more weeks and see what happens then.

Point #2:

Yesterday I went to Papa's to visit and get his groceries for the week.  My habit is to knock on his door loud and long.  He knows it is me and yells "Come in!"  I open the door and enter.  If he doesn't respond, I figure he is in the bathroom or out for brief walk.  I got to Papa's apartment, knocked loud and long with no response.  I opened the door and there was this man with a screwed up face yelling 'Boo' at me. Scared me half-to-death.  Papa was in stitches laughing.  Men never really grow up.  Even when they are 86 years old.


Point #3:


Still reading my book of Robert Frost poetry.  Today I made it to a lovely little poem written about 1916 titled "A Time to Talk".  In this day of digital interaction, I thoroughly enjoyed the look back in time.  In 2015, we can learn from this poem.  Enjoy!
When a friend calls to me from the road

And slows his horse to a meaning walk,
I don't stand still and look around
On all the hills I haven't hoed,
And shout from where I am, "What is it?"
No, not as there is time to talk.
I thrust my hoe in the mellow ground,
Blade-end up and five feet tall,
And plod: I go up to the stone wall
For a friendly visit.

Point #4:

Just an observation, not a judgement.  While eating lunch at City BBQ, I looked across the room and saw a man with a full, long beard.  It came to his chest.  He also had a Mohawk haircut.  It just struck me as a very interesting combination choice for grooming.  Again, not a judgment.  I don't know the man from Adam.  Do you ever wonder what you look like to others?  I do every time I notice someone like this.  

That's enough things to ponder for one day.  Life is just full of lots of different experiences.  It is never dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment