Friday, May 29, 2015

Grammahood is the Best...

Andie and Michael had tickets to a performance in Louisville on a Thursday evening.  Andie asked before purchasing their tickets some time ago if I would be available to watch the Mini's. Being a Thursday and a school night, that would be their best option. Of course I would be happy to do that. 

Thursday, May 14th, found me first taking Papa to a doctors appointment, filling his prescription and getting him settled at home.  After working with Papa, I was off to LaGrange to play Gramma. 

If you have read my Blog, you know Claude and my last parting with the Mini's was heart wrenching to say the least.  So, I approached this little moment with the Mini's will a little concern but lots of eagerness to just be Gramma.

I arrived before everyone was home from school or work.  Put my things in the guest room as I would spend the night and leave Friday morning.  Set myself up in the big chair in the family room so I could plug in my cell phone charger and read my Kindle.  So far...so good.

Andie had a dentist appointment and came home first.  We had a nice time to chat and catch up on many things.  Bailey had her Big Sister time at Bear Care so we didn't want to pick up the Mini's until that was finished at 5pm.  

Picking up the Mini's is always a great treat.  They know you are coming.  They are anxious for you to arrive.  They just run to you and give you big hugs when they see you there.  Love that moment.  It is one of the things I miss most about not being able to pick them up.  A little one running and jumping into your arms and giving you the biggest hug they can manage is just an extremely good feeling.  The Mini's can't jump into my arms but they can still grab you and hug for all they are worth.  I just love that!

On the way home from Bear Care, I told the Mini's my game plan.  They would buckle down when we got home and finish their homework quickly.  Then I would take them to Steve-O's for pizza.  This would be like us having our own date while Mommy and Daddy had their date.  Then, we would come back home and watch a show or a movie, depending on how much time we had.  While we did that, I had purchased a 2-serving size bag of M&M's and they could have that for a snack.  Then we would get to bed at the appropriate time so they could be rested for school.  The Mini's were on-board for that plan.

Bailey had homework. Hayden did not.  Hayden got tablet time while Bailey did her math facts.  I had taken my laptop to get a few things done after I put the Mini's to bed.  This was most fortuitous as Andie's was not working right.  Bailey has several Math Facts websites she practices her math on.  We found them on my laptop and she got her homework done in great time.  We could leave for Steve-O's right when Andie left to meet Michael for dinner.

Hayden, Bailey and I had the best time at Steve-O's.  Even our server was impressed with the Mini's behavior.  We know what to order.  Hayden brought a book and I read to them while we waited for our food to be served.  I did agree to let Hayden have a soda with his meal instead of his milk.  It was just a most pleasant dinner.

We got back to the house in time to watch just a bit of television.  The basement was our location and the Mini's told me how to use the treadmill so I could do that after they went to bed.  Hayden set us up to watch Funniest Videos with the understanding when the time to get ready for bed came, they would stop the television and get to bed.  All agreed and we started to watch television.  Then Hayden said, "What about the M&M's?"  Yike!!  I forgot the candy bribe.  Hayden ran upstairs to get two little bowls and the bag of M&M's from my purse.  Then we started the show and enjoyed a few quiet minutes together before bed.

They went through their bedtime routines without a hitch.  I did my treadmill walk and worked on my computer.  It couldn't have been a better evening.  So very happy to get to play the Gramma role with these two little nuggets.

No comments:

Post a Comment