Monday, November 9, 2015

An Almost Pictureless Blog Post...

Feeling better. Had some kind of chest cold. Wore me out but kept going and am doing much better now. Having had bronchitis and the flu over the years just makes things like that settle in my lungs and it seems to take longer to get really well.

We had a day at home on Halloween. Treasure those days. It was a little colder and threatening rain. It was a good day to be inside doing all those things that need to get done; i.e. laundry, getting the house ready for the upcoming Homemakers meeting, and the list continues. We all have them. It is nice to have a day to get some of them done. 

So when 5:30pm came around I realized I needed to be upstairs handing out all those two HUGE bags of candy we had in the kitchen. Quickly close down the laptop. Run upstairs. Change into my Halloween sweater (one must be in costume to answer the door and give candy to those trick-or-treaters). Open the two bags of candy and sort out the pieces we wanted to give first so the ones we liked the best would be the ones left over. (Come on, we all do that, don't we??) While doing this I called Papa to remind him it was Halloween and to be sure his lights were off. He can't get to the door fast enough for the kids. Also reminded him to take his meds, checked if he wanted to go to Church the next day and reminded him to set his clocks back. During this conversation Claude came in the kitchen and was trying to help me sort the two big bags of candy into the big mixing bowls and fill the basket for by the front door. Let me just state for the record, it is nearly impossible to have a conversation on the phone with Papa and one over the island in the kitchen with Claude at the same time. Tried to help Papa understand I was in a hurry to be ready before the trick-or-treaters came and that I was trying to coordinate with Claude which candies should be sorted into which bowls. Tried to explain to Claude which pieces I wanted and that they were going in the wrong bowl. Realizing, of the four kinds of candy in one of the bags, I like two of them and he liked the other two so all that sorting was not doing the job we needed done. Such a zoo. And...really funny. Learned Papa thought he would remember (yeah, right!) to take his meds, set his clock back, turn out his lights and that he didn't want to go to Church the next day. Put all the candy back together except for half of one bag. Then positioned ourselves to give our candy while watching television and eating the dinner Claude had prepared. 

I found it interesting that those little kids sense of timing was very different from mine. I had the basket of candy to give away by the front door. I was sitting on the love seat across the living room from the front door. The doorbell would ring, I would put my meal on the coffee table and head to the front door, picking up the basket of candy as I opened the door. In that brief interval the kids at the door were already giving up and walking away from the door. There was absolutely no way Papa could have put down his lounge chair, gotten his walker and made it to the front door with candy for the kids. 

Turns out we only had 18 kids come to the door. Even giving them each a fist full of candy, I still had a 2 1/2 gallon Ziploc bag of candy left over. We will save it for snacking with Thanksgiving company.

Sunday, November 1st we changed our clocks back for Daylight Savings Time. I still don't get the need for this process. And, even though I should technically have gotten an extra hour of sleep...that is not how it works for me. Went to bed an hour early. The clock said 11pm because Claude had changed them before we went to bed. It was really 10pm. I was yawning and happy to be going to bed. My head hit the pillow and my eyes popped open and sleep was not to be in my future. After a couple of hours I moved to the guest room bed so I wouldn't keep Claude awake with my tossing and turning. I took a book to read thinking it would make me sleepy. At 3am I was still reading and wide awake. Geez!!! I just don't care for Daylight Savings Time changes.

Wednesday, November 4th I hosted the Countryside Homemakers. The main course I prepared was chicken enchiladas. I also made the melon ice cream for fun. We had a great lesson about electric light bulbs. Very informative. After lunch we made a wreath with a University of Kentucky theme for the new member auction in December. Then I taught the ladies how to make two crafts with children using wooden Popsicle sticks. 

After the ladies left, I picked up the house and headed to Georgetown to have time with Papa. 

After leaving him I enjoyed my new favorite light meal at Zaxby's drive-thru. I love their buttered toast. Since I had a big meal with the ladies, I only wanted something to tide me over for the rest of the evening. I can go through the drive-thru and purchase just the toast and a soda. Yummy!! I know it not the most nutritious, but sometimes one just needs to treat oneself to something they really like. I parked in the parking lot and finished reading the book I was currently reading. Then off to the Church to teach Institute.

Thursday we had our appointment to get our yellow fever shots. Our big trip next year will be to Peru and then to Guatemala. Guatemala requires a yellow fever vaccine if you come to their country from Peru. I needed to be well before we got our shots. So Thursday morning we were off to Lexington to Red Point Medical to get our shot and card proving we had that done. Such a tiny little shot for such a big amount of money. 

Claude treated us to lunch at Schlotzky's. While eating I looked out the window and realized there was a Shoe Carnival store across the parking lot. Claude accepted an invitation for us to go to a 'ball'. That would be a 'formal ball'.  Black tie!! I told my dear hubby I would go IF I could get a new dress...a really nice dress. He was happy to agree to that condition. I spent some time on Dillard's website and picked out three I liked. I told Claude I wanted to go to Dillard's and try some on before I ordered anything. So the week before I went to Dillard's and actually found a nice matronly dress I really liked. It fit and I purchased it. It is navy blue. I have black heels and would wear them unless I found somewhere and some time to buy shoes. Here we were sitting across from the mega-store of shoes. I mentioned my desire to check the shoe store out. Claude was happy to oblige. He sat in the Jeep and rocked out to the Eagles while I visited the shoe store.

I did find a pair of shoes I loved. They were even on a great sale. However, they didn't have them in my size in the blue color. There were signs all around the store saying they would order shoes if they didn't have your size. There was a buy one/get one for half-price thing going on. I searched for a second pair of shoes. Found some. Picked the color and tried them on for size. Then I thought about it and put them back. I didn't need another pair of shoes. Silly Moi!! 

I took the shoes I wanted, in the blue color I wanted, but in the wrong size, and headed to the counter. Explained my problem and asked if they lady ordered me a pair of shoes if they would be to my home before the date I needed them. She assured me they would get to our home within 3 days. Then she tried to place the order and the computer would not take it. She asked her manager. He was absolutely no help. Said it just wouldn't work. She printed out the list of stores that might have it with in a 150 mile radius. I took a picture of the end of the box. With her printout with all the code numbers and my picture, I was set to go home and check on-line for them myself. 

Well, that turned out to be very frustrating. I checked the Shoe Carnival website and they were not on that website at all. Tried all the different numbers on the receipt from the store and the picture of the end of the box. Nothing. Not there. So I tried Googling the brand of shoe to see if I could order it from Nine West. They did not have it on their website either. I went through every heel they had and it just was not there. Then I called the closest Shoe Carnival store which was supposed to have 5 pair. It was in Louisville. They had them and they were in my size and the right color. I asked if they would hold them until Saturday when Claude would be near there for a meeting. She said they usually only hold items till the close of business the next day but she would make an exception and hold them till close of business on Saturday. Yeah!!  

Friday, November 6th was our Hayden's birthday. Our young man turned 11 years old. This blows my poor old mind. We did call him. Their elementary school was having a dance that night and he and Bailey were going to the dance. Saturday he was having a slumber party. So Claude and I will take his presents to him this Sunday afternoon. He was happy to have us sing Happy Birthday to him and said he was having a great birthday. He is a fun kid. Love him to pieces.

Saturday Claude and I were up early and he headed to his meeting in Louisville. I headed to my meeting in Lexington. When my meeting was over I went to Papa's to spend time with him. Claude met me there and we went out for something to eat. Claude brought me my new shoes. Nice how that worked out. Turns out the shoe store was on the opposite side of I-64 from Claude's meeting. The funny thing is I have been looking for a navy blue pair of heels for several years. I had one pair that I loved that wore out and I couldn't find navy blue heels in a style I liked anywhere. That makes this pair of shoes a doubly nice find.

Sunday I gave a talk in Church. My topic was the Plan of Salvation. It went well. Claude needs me to speak with him next Sunday in the Pioneer Ward. I will use the same talk. 

Now, for the only picture in this post. One of the things Katelyn wanted for her baby is a taggy blanket. I asked her if she had made it yet. She had not. I asked if I could make one for her out of materials I had at home. She was happy to have me do that. So this morning I made this taggy blanket out of ribbon, lace and  rick-rack from my mother's sewing supplies and my sewing supplies. 
Spent my afternoon cleaning Papa's apartment, cutting his hair and washing his feet. He can't reach his feet and so I do this for him. 

Whew, that catches my Journey up to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment