Tuesday, December 13, 2016

A Funny Moment and A Tender Moment...

It is fun to stop and be aware of the moments in our lives. When they happen, I think I should run and put that them on my Blog. Even downloaded an app so I could do that easily from my cell phone. It just doesn't happen. Except for this morning. This morning I am pausing to share two 'moments in time' that gave me pause.

First, the funny moment in time. 


I headed to bed after Claude night before last. I was just watching the weather and news and finishing the row on my crocheting before going to bed. I turned on the light in our bathroom and then went to the living room and turned the light off there in an effort to not wake up my hubby. (When you reach our age, sleep does not come easily and these little niceties are appreciated.) However, I was having a little reflux and knew if I ate a Tums I would sleep better. Turned off the light in the bathroom and, in the dark, I felt my way around the end of the bed and up the side to my nightstand where my new container of Tums sat...I thought. In the dark, I felt all over the top of the nightstand and couldn't feel that container of Tums anywhere. Okay, I made my way back to the bathroom and turn on the light to see if it was on the bathroom counter. Nope. Off goes that light. I decided I could get a Tums out of Claude's container on his nightstand and look for mine in the morning. So I feel my way along Claude's side of the bed to his nightstand. I put on my glasses and begin to feel all over the top of his nightstand for the Tums. Then it occurs to me. I really didn't need my glasses in the dark!!! And, I started to giggle. Couldn't find the Tums, even with my glasses on, on Claude's nightstand. I did end up going back to the bathroom, turning on that light, finding my travel ditty bag which has a travel bottle of Tums in it and chewed one of those. All the while giggling at the silliness of putting on glasses to see in a totally dark room. Oh my! When I crawled into bed, I was still giggling until I fell asleep. I'm really sure Claude slept through all of that!


Second, a tender moment in time.


Time to get the oil changed in my car. Appointment made at Frank Shoop for yesterday morning. Grabbed the craft bag I always keep stocked and out the door to Georgetown I went for my 10:30am appointment. While sitting in the waiting room working on my Tunisian Crochet project, they came and explained I didn't need the tires rotated but I did need an air filter. I approved that maintenance and went back to my crocheting. The waiting room was empty except for me. Then a man popped his head around the door. He was distinguished looking and commented about my work. I told him I was just trying to learn something new. Then he turned back to the hallway from the service area to the waiting room. In a few seconds he came back with a tiny lady. As she walked in, I knew immediately there was something a little different but I wasn't sure. The man turned to the lady and said, "Would you like to sit in this chair dear? You could see the television better." She looked at him and the chair and said, "Yes, thank you. I will sit in the chair. Yes, I will sit in the chair." She repeated this as she carefully walked across the room to the chair. She said down and then she looked over and noticed me and that I was crocheting. She said, "Oh, what are you doing? May I watch?" Then I knew it had to be something like dementia. Having my mother die from Alzheimer's four years ago, I understood and watched the reactions of them both with memories flooding my brain and heart. The husband immediately came to attention. Not wanting to interfere unless needed but concerned for what his wife might say or do. She was totally interested and caring in a very childlike way. I assured her she could watch and I pulled myself to the end of my chair to show her what I was doing. She came by the chair and knelt on the carpet by me. I marveled at her ability to get down there so easily and had a remembrance of my mother playing with Hayden in my sewing room when she had Alzheimer's. She just plopped down and sat pretzel style on the floor in my sewing room. My knees are awful and I could no more do that than anything. Kneeling can only be done for a second or two. Here was this lady sitting there quickly and easily and I appreciated the ease with which she could to that. She was clearly my age or somewhere around there. Then I put the piece I'm working on in front of her and asked her if she knew how to crochet. She said she didn't. In my peripheral vision I could see the husband relax and enjoy his wife having one more positive interaction. I explained the Tunisian crochet hook looks like one long knitting needle but it has a crochet hook at one end. Then I told her how I had learned two stitches that made the project I was working on and showed her both stitches. She was so happy to see my hand do these stitches. Then the man from the service department came back in to tell me my car was ready. I packed up my craft bag and then went to the woman and touched her arm as she sat back in her chair. I told her good-bye and how nice it was to meet her. She smiled and called me a 'sweet thing'. Her husband smiled and the moment was over. But I felt the goodness of it for the rest of the day and can still feel it now. Floods of memories of caring for my mother. Floods of memories for what it like for the husband and the wife in that situation. Awareness of the long road they still have to travel if she does have Alzheimer's. But the peace of a good moment with someone I really don't know and will probably never meet again. 


I am grateful for moments in time. I thank my Heavenly Father for each of them as they happen. Always saying a quick little prayer to thank Him for His tender mercies in my life that bring peace and joy. And, the opportunity to have a good memory to bring back when the times in life are not easy or fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment