Saturday, January 28, 2017

January Tidbits...

Tuesday, January 26, Claude had his annual eye exam in Georgetown. He had three other errands to run while in Georgetown. I opted to have him drop off at Papa's apartment for a visit while he ran his errands. This saved gas for one car to and from Georgetown. Not a lot but a little and every little bit is a good thing.

After Claude picked me up, we went to Panera Bread for dinner. While having dinner, I pulled out my cell phone and checked the movies at Theaters of Georgetown. As it happened Tuesday was the last night for them to be showing Hidden Figures, a movie I really wanted to see. I told Claude and we decided to finish dinner at get over there for the 4:45 showing. We made it with a few minutes to spare. There were only 3 other people in the theater for that showing. This was an excellent movie based on fact. Highly recommend this movie to others.

I left telling Claude how nice it was when it is just the two of us and we can fill up an evening with an impromptu date. That, my friends, is one of the benefits of getting older.

While visiting Papa on Friday, we found ourselves watching a game show called Chain Reaction. We both love this show. The host gives you a beginning word and an ending word with several blanks for other words in between. The contestants can choose a letter below the first work or above the last word. The first letter of that word is given and the contestant tries to guess what the new word is. It has to flow from the word below and/or above it. The word on the board was 'fist'. The first letter given of the new word was 'B'. Now Papa and I start to guess what we think the new word would be. It gets the brain working. Several times the new word is outside of Papa's experience and makes no sense to him. This happened after the word 'fist' with the letter 'B' as the new words beginning. Turns out the new word was 'bump' as in 'fist bump'. Papa couldn't even fathom what that was from. I stood in front of him and told him to make a fist. He did with his right hand. I made a fist with my right hand and bumped his fist. Then I explained it is something done nowadays to say hi with someone in lieu of a handshake or a hug or whatever you might do to greet the person. I found myself totally amused that this old girl was teaching that even older guy how to fist bump.

I posted this experience on Facebook. My oldest daughter, Nissa, replied that she would now miss giving Papa nose kisses and have to give him fist bumps. I assured her he would forget fist bumps quickly and she would probably need to train him again on that. But nose kisses is a very old and dear memory to him and he would probably never forget that. She could continue to give him nose kisses.

Then there is the seemingly continuous saga of Claude and his glasses. Bless my hubbies heart. He went to a meeting at the Embassy Suites in Lexington for Bluegrass ADD. It was a dinner meeting and he could only stay for the dinner. Then he needed to hurry to Northern Elementary School for a community meeting regarding increasing the size of the landfill in Scott County. He hung his glasses on his shirt pocket and put his sports coat over that pocket when he sat down to eat. When he needed to leave to hurry to the next meeting he got out to the car and reached for his glasses. They were not where he put them. He looked all over the Jeep, retraced his steps back to the meeting room and the people at his table tried to help him find the glasses. They were no where to be seen. He asked Jared to bring them to him if they turned up. He went to his next meeting and then came home after. I taught Institute that evening and made it home before him. When he came in I asked how his meetings went. He was clearly not a happy man. Then he explained about his glasses. You see, we have replaced this pair of glasses more than once as well as having them returned at least once. He was very frustrated with himself. Fortunately, he had his annual eye exam the next day and he would just order the exact same things as last time if his prescription didn't change. He went to the eye exam and ordered the glasses. Then the next morning he called the Embassy Suites and asked again if anyone turned in a pair of glasses. They had several and one fit the description of his glasses. He went there before going to Louisville for meetings that day and, Voila!, they had his glasses. He is leaving the order for the glasses just in case this happens again. Poor guy. I assured him he was just helping Dr. Richardson in his build out of new office space.

Monday, January 23rd, I received a phone call from Aubrey our grandmonster. I was at the doctor's office with a friend and asked if I could call her back when we finished. After leaving my friend at her home, I found a parking lot and parked to call Aubrey. She had news. She is pregnant. She is only two weeks pregnant. Did not know they could tell that early now but the doctor said she is definitely pregnant. While this would be jump for joy news at getting another great grandmonster, it is tempered for me in that Aubrey is not married and has no plans to marry. Breaks my heart. I shall pray for her and for this little one. The father says he is not interested in marriage but he will support her financially. In my experience, this will not happen. So this new journey begins. Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment