Sunday, January 1, 2017

Out with the Old; In with the New...

There you have it folks. The Christensen family basement ready for New Year's Eve. Does it look like a happening kind of place or what? What, you say. Okay. But this is one of the best traditions Claude and I have formed in our 'empty nest' phase of life.

Every December 31st, we set up the basement like this. Notice the needlework at the ready on the sofa for me. Between the sofa and the big brown leather chair where Claude will take up residence are two TV tables for prodigious amounts of food. Lined on the piano are a huge variety of chips and sweets of all kinds. Each of us has a big beverage and on the big screen is the first of three Lord of the Rings movies. We begin around 3pm and finish the third movie just after midnight. I get lots of crocheting done and we pause between each movie for a break and to refill our beverage.

This year, I posted a quote for each of the three movies on Facebook as we finished that movie. Here are the quotes I posted:

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings
       “I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo." "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
       "There's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
          "Come, Mr. Frodo!' he cried. 'I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you."
          James 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

These books by J.R.R. Tolkien are some of my favorite. Claude and I watched the three Hobbit movies in the months previous to our New Year's Eve moviefest. It is just a lovely evening and we both look forward to it so very much.

Happy New Year to Everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment