Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Final Field Day...

The other Final for Ms. Bailey was her final Field Day. It was Thursday, June 7th. 

Last year I really messed up on this one. I had it on my calendar. But in my mind I was a day different than the one I was living. Did you ever do that? Claude and I will often have a Friday and say it feels like Saturday. Well, I woke up that morning and went about all I had to do thinking Bailey's field day was the next day. Andie posted pictures of her during Field Day at the elementary school where she teaches. I replied how fun it looked and that I would be at Bailey's the next day. To which Andie replied, "It was today!" Oh my goodness. Did I feel awful. Absolutely awful. The worst Gramma ever. Ugh.

This year I made sure I was on target with the day. I popped Andie a text the day before saying I would be there. Claude changed some doctor appointment and he was going with me. I even called the school to be sure of the time we needed to arrive. This year I did not miss the final Field Day.

The theme was the Olympics. This year each class was a different country. Bailey's class was Russia. She wore the colors of their flag. I told her that, if we had known she was going to be Russia, we would have purchased her a t-shirt that said Russia on it while we were there the week before. Someone in Bailey's class made little Russian flags out of felt and sticks for everyone to wave. All the events were tied to the Olympics even if it might have been a stretch.

This was our girl when we arrived. Her class was out getting ready to do the tug-o-war. Bailey had painted flags on her cheeks and arms. The girl is always over-the-top. We were grateful for the red hat. It helps to pick her out of a crowd of kids.
Bailey's class was always competing against one of the other 5th grade classes. The other class was Australia. After each event, the parent volunteers awarded a gold or silver medal (sticker) to each class. Each class had a plastic coated flag they could wave to keep everyone at the right place and it provided a surface on which to stick your medal after the event. This is Bailey with the flag and their first medal. 
This picture is of the parent volunteer explaining the Run with the Olympic Torch event. Look closely. That is a ball on top of a bathroom plunger. How cute is that?  
Michael, Bailey's father, referees soccer games. He is qualified to do this at the college level. He loved soccer when he was in school. Refereeing keeps him in shape and he earns extra money doing it. When they had a soccer event, pictures had to be taken and a video so that Michael could enjoy this moment. Other than missing two of the hoops to go through, Bailey did just fine. 
Somehow Claude got a flag and he wore it in his hat all day. Way to support the grandmonster! 
Now this event harked back to my Field Day's. A sack race. Finally. Something I could relate to. 
Our little Lady has the attention span of a gnat. She has created her own Field Day event and it is looking for 4-leaf clovers.
Andie was going to send Bailey to school with her lunch as I had not had time to cover that base. When we talked with Bailey between events, she did not bring her lunch. Fortunately, the schedule had her class going inside for an hour break before lunch. Off Claude and I went to Subway, ate our lunch, and then brought Bailey's lunch back to her school. 
Cute story here. Bailey wanted tuna salad from Subway. She wanted pickles but she wanted them on the side, not on her sandwich. She understood that, if they wouldn't do that, she wouldn't get pickles. I placed the order and asked the man if he could put pickles on the side. He said he could but he would have to charge me extra for them. I said, "Okay." Then he looked at me and said, "You mean you are willing pay $2 for pickles?" Instantly my dander was riled up. I looked at him over that counter and said in my strongest voice, "You mean you would charge me $2 for pickles you would have put on the sandwich?" He laughed and said, "I have to make money some way." I said, "That is a mighty rude way to make money." He did put the pickles on the side and then tried to get me to buy a cookie. I did not buy a cookie. 

This is the row boat event. Bailey is in the middle. Some parent made what was really a huge skate board. It was pressed board with rollers mounted to the bottom. Three kids to a board. They each sat with their backs facing the direction they were supposed to row. Each kid was given a pool noodle to simulate oars. They served no purpose but that. They had to row to a certain point, everyone get off and get back on so they were facing backwards again, and then row back to where they started. It was a relay and the next group of three would row away. The kids enjoyed this a lot but the boards were beginning to break as the day went on. Pressed board just doesn't hold up forever with rambunctious kids playing on them.
Loved this little moment between Bailey and her Grampa. 
This is the final count on the gold and silver medals with Bailey and her friend, Ella.  
It was a good day. Claude and I headed back to Sadieville. We had a conference call to participate in that day and wanted to do that from home. Funny thing, we forgot to call in to the conference call until the next day. Oops!!

Final Field Day done!! They have one in Middle School but the kids are too cool by then to want the parents and grandparents there. Go figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment