Monday, November 19, 2018

Such a Saturday...

Saturday, November 17th, I went in to visit Papa in the morning. Claude had a project to work on for Eagle Bend. The bridge into our community needed some special caulking done where the bridge is built to expand or contract with the weather. The special caulking has to be mixed. To do this the City purchased a special gun that looks like some kind of lethal weapon. But it is made so you put two tubes of this special compound that must be mixed together in the body of the caulking gun and as they are compressed they combine in one tube at the end of the caulking gun and come out as one mixture. This requires a huge compressor and, since there is no electrical outlet at the bridge, a generator. As Carol Struthers, our City Commissioner over this type of thing, finally managed to get all the pieces and parts needed to complete this project, Claude, Carol and Mike Mizell, another of the City Commissioners, picked this Saturday morning to get the project done. I left at 9:45am as they were arriving for a 10am start time. I visited Papa and left him at Noon to go to Walmart to buy yarn to make Aubrey a big afghan as she requested. When I got home it was probably around 1pm or a little after. They were still working. Mike had to leave so I went on home and changed into really grubby clothes, packed a few water bottles in a bag and hiked back to the entrance to Eagle Bend to try and be a little helpful. We didn't finished until about 4pm. But, the bridge has been caulked and the labor was free.
How does one end a day like this? Well, in the Claude and Sandi case, they go on a date to the Bluegrass Rockin' Rodeo!!

Claude has cowboy in his veins. A lot of that part of his make up has not had full time to shine over the years. He grew up in Box Elder County, Utah. The Box Elder County Fair & Rodeo was a highlight each year. People come from miles around to attend this Fair & Rodeo. It is one of Claude's favorite memories. After we were married and when we were visiting in Utah during Fair and Rodeo time, he said we should attend. I did not grow up with rodeos of any kind. My first reaction was, "I don't want to see a horse break its leg." Claude assured me that never happened. So, we went to the Box Elder County Fair and Rodeo. And...the first horse out of the shoot broke it's leg. I kid you not. I was ill and Claude was a mite chagrined. I did not ever go back to a rodeo. 

Fast forward to Friday evening. Claude received an eMail from someone he knows through all his boards and things he sits on. Claude was offered two tickets to the Bluegrass Rockin' Rodeo at the Alltech Arena at the Kentucky Horse Park. Claude quietly asked if I would be interested in going to the rodeo. Hmmmm... I know he misses so much of the west and I said, "Sure, let's go to the rodeo." So, Saturday evening we went to the rodeo...
At the Alltech Arena at the Kentucky Horse Park...
Okay, Claude had the times wrong. They opened the doors at 5:30pm. That part he had right. He thought the rodeo began at 6pm. That part was wrong. The rodeo began at 7:30pm. The idea was to get you there, have you buy from the food vendors and shop the merchandise vendors until time for the rodeo to begin. We did have a hamburger and soda each. Claude pronounced the burger good. This is important because all of our married life he has raved about how good a Fair and Rodeo burger was. So, our burger Saturday night passed that test. Then we hit the vendor selling pecans, almonds or cashews cooked in cinnamon and sugar. I have a real weak spot for these kinds of nuts. I got a small bag of pecans and Claude got a small bag of almonds. Then we found our seats.

We used our time till the rodeo would begin to plot our menus for Thanksgiving company. It is all in my phone...somewhere. Now I can make that grid and then buy groceries tomorrow afternoon. Claude also got us each a pretzel and we downed those. 

When the rodeo started there was a tribute to each branch of the military. This is the rider with a flag for the United States Air Force. Go Claude!!
Then the Flag of the United States of America was brought out. We all stood and put our hands over our hearts. A recording of a men's quartet sing our National Anthem was played and it was beautiful.  
This was followed by all the cowboys and cowgirls on their horses making a parade around the outside edge of the arena with the US Flag in front. 

Time for the events. The first event was Bare Back Riding. It is just painful for me to watch these guys. I can see the damage to their bodies that will really come back to haunt them as they get older.
Next came Bull Dogging or Steer Wrestling. I learned something here that I did not know about my hubby. He always felt that, if he were to participate in a rodeo, this is the event he would want to do. Oh My!!
This was followed by Team Roping. I could see the skill level needed here. I find it fascinating that you can make a loop out of rope and throw it and actually have it go around the items you want to catch with said rope. Even reading that last sentence tells you how much I am NOT a cowgirl. Anyway, these two guys have to first get the lasso around the head of the steer and then the second cowboy had to get his lasso around both the back legs. They have one chance to do this and they are working for speed in getting it done. How they do it, I will probably never understand, especially those two back legs. I mean, that rope has to get under the legs when they are in the air to be able to get both of them inside the lasso. Amazing.
Next they did a little Saddle Bronc Riding. Again, these guys are going to have some major pain as they age. I just hurt when I watch this. Every spot of arthritis in my body cries out with pain.
 
Then we viewed Tie Down Roping. This requires a horse that knows what he is supposed to do to assist the cowboy. That calf has to be lassoed. Then the horse has to know when his rider jumps off to pull on the lasso so there is tension in the rope. The cowboy takes another bit of rope and first ties up on leg, then brings the other three legs together and ties them with the first with a half-hitch tie. Again, speed is very important in the score. And, some measure of strength to lift that calf and make him lay on his side. 
Finally we were treated to Cowgirl Breakaway Roping. She has to lasso that cow and then she can let the rope down. 
Time for Intermission. Time for more food, beverage, stretch your legs, buy some merchandise, etc. But the cutest part was Calf Scramble. I had video of this also, however, I couldn't find it on my cell phone or Claude's cell phone. You see, my battery on my cell phone died and I had to use Claude's cell phone to take the last bits of video. I posted the Calf Scramble on my Facebook page so I am sure I took it with my cell phone. Maybe I accidentally deleted it but it is gone...except for my Facebook page. For this event a ribbon is tied to a calf's tail. They did this event two time. The first time it was 7-9 year old kids. The second time it was 10-12 year old kids. The kids form a line across the middle of the arena. A calf it let loose of one end of the arena. Then the kids all run to see who can pull off the ribbon or a part of it and take it to the rodeo clown. Poor calf. Those kids are all over trying to get the ribbon. It was fun to watch this event. No one was hurt and all the kids had a great time.

Intermission was over and it was time for the final two events. The first was Barrel Racing by the cowgirls. This was fun to watch. Lynette, Claude's sister, did this at the rodeo when she was a teen. She also would rope a goat and tie its legs together. Evan, their father, bought her a goat to practice with. This clever goat figured out what she was going to do when she came riding at him on her horse. The goat would quickly lay on his side with his feet out ready to be tied. Much easier on him that way but not so great for Lynette to practice getting the goat lassoed and then laying it on its side before tying his legs together. So, Claude and I sat back and enjoyed this particular event.
The final event of the evening was the bull riding. Absolutely my least favorite event. I was groaning before it even started. I counted the stalls and there were six bulls being prepared for six riders. I told myself I just had to keep it together for six riders. Claude was very amused at my anxiety but my willingness to watch with him. After three riders, I realized they had filled up the three stalls with three more bulls. Oh My Goodness!! I would have to get through nine bull rides total. I just looked at my hubby and said, "I want double points for doing this with you!" He had a good belly laugh out of that and gave me a squeeze. 
This Bluegrass Rockin' Rodeo was done by IPRA (International Professional Rodeo Association. This, according to the announcer who repeated it several times, is the second most important Rodeo event for professional riders. Who would have thought? I asked Claude, when it was all said and done, if it stacked up against Box Elder Country Rodeo at all. He assured me it did and he was absolutely thrilled to get back to a rodeo. 

As a side note, when we got ready to get dressed to go to this rodeo, I suggested to Claude he might wear his cowboy boots. He did and he really enjoyed that as well. When we first married he always owned two pair of cowboy boots. The oldest pair was for casual and knocking around. The newest pair was for Church and dressy things. It was good to see my Big Guy in his boots again. We will go back when it comes to Lexington again.

No comments:

Post a Comment