Thursday, November 1, 2018

Halloween 2018...

Sometimes things just have to change. 

First, I took Papa for his weekly drive on Tuesday. We often see things that are very interesting. It being fall and Halloween time there were interesting decorations in people's yards. A couple of weeks ago we drove past a long driveway. Where the driveway ended on Hwy 62 the family placed a 2-person carriage. In the seats were two human skeletons. Pulling the carriage was a horse skeleton. I thought this was one of the most clever decorations I have seen for Halloween. There was no where I could turn around easily to take a picture. Then Tuesday we spotted another one that made me laugh out loud. I did find a spot to turn around and get a picture of it. 
Papa loved this ride. The route we took ended up going through Frankfort. I took Hwy 60 and pulled off at the overlook of the Kentucky Capitol building. Papa was amazed. I pointed out to him that across the river and up the hill on the other side was Daniel Boone's grave. He doesn't remember us ever taking him there but he has been there at least twice with me. Then I drove down into Frankfort and around the Capitol building, past the huge clock, between the Capitol building and the Capitol Annex and past the Governor's Mansion. He was truly blown away. Kept saying it was the most amazing Capitol he had ever seen. I stopped at the stop sign just past the Governor's Mansion and said, "Shall I drive you around it again?" Absolutely. So we slowly cruised around these buildings again. Then we drove to the Frankfort Cemetery and up to Daniel Boone's grave so he could see across to where we had been at the overlook. He was so happy to see all of these things. It was a beautiful drive across country and then to end at the Kentucky's Capitol was a highlight for Papa. It's the little things some times, just the little things.

Trick-or-Treating was moved to Tuesday night this year. Wednesday the weather forecast was for heavy rain and wind gusts to 50mph. All Scott County and Lexington moved their Trick-or-Treating to Tuesday evening for the safety of everyone. Claude had purchased our candy for us to give out Wednesday evening. We had tickets to see Gordon Lightfoot in Louisville at the Brown Theater Tuesday. We were not able to give out our candy to a single Trick-or-Treater. We'll just save it for family visiting over the holidays. 

Tuesday evening we had dinner at Double Dogs. Claude purchased these coupons at Hayden's Boy Scout dinner. We each had a hot dog this time because, well, the name kind of made us feel it was the appropriate thing to do. It really is a sports bar with multiple televisions on every wall and very tall chairs for seating. They have a varied menu and we would go back and try some other things from the menu. I liked it better that Buffalo Wild Wings because it was not as loud.
Then it was off to enjoy the relaxing music of an old favorite, Gordon Lightfoot. He seems even more thin that ever. His voice was a bit more off than before. But we still both very much enjoyed this evening. The lead guitarist was amazing to listen to and watch play. Gordon clearly loves and feels each piece of music with all his heart and soul. Claude purchased a 4 CD set of his original music. We listened to some of it as we drove yesterday. In his early years he sounded a lot like Jim Reeves. It was an excellent evening and we were both very happy with this date night.
Wednesday was Halloween. The morning was unusually warm and I went in to visit with Papa. When I got home we left again to go to Sharpsburg, Kentucky for a funeral. Nancy Manley passed away. We love the people in the Owingsville Ward of the Church. Nancy wanted a very simple, very quick graveside service. Her family honored that request. The rain held off and it was nice to be with these people and especially this family as they laid their mother to rest. 

Claude then treated me to lunch at Applebee's in Mt. Sterling. I love their Wanton Chicken Tacos. If you order the appetizer you get four of the little delights. I order a cup of potato soup and the Wanton Chicken Taco appetizer. The server suggested I would spend less and get more variety if I ordered this two for whatever deal. She said there would only be 3 Wanton Tacos with that order. I assured her I wanted four tacos and she grinned. This is the second time I have had this discussion at an Applebee's. 

After lunch we went to Ruth Hunt candies. Glenda is a resident at the nursing home. Her mother, Geraldine Cannon, was a resident when my mother was in the nursing home. Glenda fell and will not walk again so she now resides in the nursing home. Glenda told me last year I should go to Ruth Hunt Candies and get the Blue Monday candy. The original Ruth Hunt Candy store is in Mt. Sterling about a block from Applebee's. So we went and purchased some candy. I got some for Glenda and am anxious to take it to her today. I know she will be so very happy since she hasn't been out of the nursing home since she got there. It is a blessing I can still take Papa out for drives.

As we drove back to Georgetown, the rain came. We were on I-75 and we noticed the flashing lights of a police car ahead. There was a firetruck there as well. Then we saw a car flipped upside down in the ditch. We decided to forego our Georgetown errands and head on to Sadieville where we could be safe from the weather and any Halloween madness that might be about.

I sent a text asking for Halloween pictures. These I received from our Michigan family. Raelyn was the Queen of Hearts. Nelson is sitting in a chair with her when they visited Nissa and Todd at work.
Hayden opted out of the Trick-or-Treating this year. He will be 13 in a few days. Bailey did some with her father, Michael. Andie was on an overnight school training trip. Here is Miss Bailey.
I spent my evening crocheting on another baby afghan. It was a nice quiet Halloween evening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment