Friday, November 9, 2018

The Minutiae of Life...

I just wanted to use that word. 

Tuesday was election day. Claude did not run for Mayor. However, he is the Mayor of Sadieville until December 31st. Right now he is attending and doing things for the 'last time'. Election Day is one of those 'last time' items. He gets up at 4:30am and opens City Hall before 5am. The polling judges must be there by 5am to be ready to let people vote by 6am. This was the 'last time' for Claude to do this. He left the house by 4:45am. I knew we had rain during the night and it sounded heavy. I got out of bed and as I walked past the window I noticed the ground down our hill was silvery and shiny. That is not normal. I stopped and looked really hard and realized the water was over the banks of the creek and all over the flat ground at the bottom of the hill. That meant the bridge into and out of our development might be flooded. I could picture in my mind's eye (where did we come up with that phrase?) my hubby in his bright green Jeep getting to the bridge and saying to himself, "I can get over that." The prayers for his safety immediately started to kick in and I tried to feel what I should do. I determined I would call his cell phone and, if he wasn't floating down the creek, he would answer. I called. He answered. Yes, the water was coming up to the bridge but not over it yet. That was it for sleep for me. I knew once things were settled at City Hall he would come back over that bridge to come home. I assured him that, if the water was over the bridge, do NOT drive over the bridge. He said okay. Now I watched out the bedroom window to see his green Jeep coming back home. Finally I heard a car coming up our hill. I went to the dining room window and, sure enough, there was the Big Guy in the bright green Jeep. He told me when he got to the bridge there was a car on the other side trying to determine if they could get across or not. The problem is on the home side of the bridge. It dips down there and that can get full of fast flowing water that one should not drive in. Claude was sure he could get across before it crested anymore. So he pulled around the waiting car and drove right on across and the up to our home. Whew!! However, he assured me I might not be able to get across to go to my dentist appointment if the creek continued to rise. 

We tried to get another hour or two of sleep and then I was up and going. I wanted to vote before my dentist appointment at 10am. So I left the house at 9am or a little after to vote. Fortunately the creek had gone down by then and I had clear road to get over but you could tell where the water had been over it and the little dam was not visible with the amount of water still flowing down the creek. 

I voted and was pleased there was a line and all three voting booths were in use. That promised a good voter turn out for our little spot of the United States. 

Then I was off to Georgetown to get my teeth cleaned. This time to clean them this hygienist used what felt like a power washer for my teeth. Water was squirting under the gums and she worked around each tooth and then paused frequently to suction out my mouth. I had never had this done before in all my 68 years. I told her what it felt like. She then shared it is a process they use when treating for gum disease but she had found it very effective to clean teeth that way for everyone. I have no gum disease. I really liked this process as opposed to all that scraping they usually do. She pronounced my teeth and gums in good health. X-rays all looked good. Dentist came in and she was pleased. Yeah me!! I passed. I took my bag of dental goodies and headed to see Papa. I did pause along the way to get me a mango-pineapple smoothie and Papa a chocolate shake from Dairy Queen. I had not eaten yet and could have something to drink and that wouldn't hurt the fluoride treatment. 

After visiting Papa, I went to Dr. Lyon's office. Claude had his annual physical the week before and it was noted we are scheduled to made a trip to South Africa next year to see lion and tigers and such. They assured Claude he should get the Hepatitis A&B shots. There is a series of three. Claude started during that visit to the doctor. Then he came home and assured me I must do that as well. I called Dr. Lyon's office and told them I need a Hep A&B shot, a flu shot and a pneumonia shot. They assured me I didn't need an appointment. I just needed to come in and let the front desk know what I wanted and they would get me in for the shots. So I tried to do that after visiting Papa. It was 12:30. I sat there waiting and read a sign by where you check in that said all inoculations were given between 8:30am-11:30am and 2pm-4:30pm. Oops!! No one gave me those hours. It was 12:30 and I really didn't want to sit until 2pm. I determined to try again on Wednesday. 

Now, I have been working on another project. When Claude and I make a big trip, he takes notes and writes a description of our trip. I take pictures and meld them with his notes and create a big scrapbook. I have determined I want these on my computer and I want to get rid of all that mountain of big binders. As of today I finished our 1999 trip to Alaska and am almost half way through our 2009 trip to Hawaii. My Tuesday evening and Monday morning were spent working on these things as well as getting some household chores accomplished. 

Wednesday, I set out for Dr. Lyon's office at 2pm. I told them what I wanted. They had me take a seat. Eventually the nurse called me back and I explained to her what I wanted and why. She looked at me and said, "You really want all three at one time?" Yep, let's get it over with. She said she had to have a doctor's order for the pneumonia and the Hep A&B. I waited while she caught Dr. Lyon between patients and he gave her a doctor's order. It turns out she had one more dose of Hep A&B and I would get that. Then they have to order more. I got a flu shot in my right shoulder, a pneumonia shot in my left shoulder and the Hep A&B in my right hip. I left and felt pretty good. As I left the lobby of the doctor's office there was a man in a wheelchair by the door. I gave him a big smile and said "Hi". He grinned really big and said "Hi" back. As I was going out the door he called to me and said, "You have a really nice smile." How sweet is that? I love to smile and I do that with everyone. Most people appreciate it and you feel like you live in a world of friends. Just makes life a whole lot nicer. It was a sweet moment with this fella.

On to visit Papa. Still feeling good. I left him about 5:15. When I got in the car, I felt soreness in my shoulder as I moved around to start the car. Hmmmm.... By later in the evening I was feeling a bit chilled. I put on layers of sweats and warmed myself up some. I did not sleep well and my shoulders hurt sleeping on either side. My hip did not hurt. It felt like I was coming down with...wait for it...the FLU!!! I eventually got out of our bed during the night and went to the guest bedroom so I could toss and turn and not keep my poor hubby awake. (Although as I think about it, he was the one that insisted I get these shots in  he first place!) I woke up Thursday morning not feeling well at all. I really didn't have a full out cold, just the aches and pains and the chills with no fever. Claude was out for the day with meetings. I worked on my scrapbook project and then laid down at Noon and took and hour and a half nap. I am not a nap during the day kinda girl. I don't sleep well at night if I nap during the day. But I truly didn't feel well and we had somewhere to be Thursday night, so, a nap was in order. It felt good and I felt a little better after I woke up.

Thursday evening Signature Health Care had their Hall of Fame. Papa was being inducted this year as the resident they would honor. I had given Glen Redmon pictures of Papa and a history of him for their plaque a month or more ago. I had tried to prep Papa by telling him about it and reminding of when they did this for Mimi. He just can't remember these things. Claude and I left the house at 4:30pm to have dinner together before. Then we made our way to the nursing home. 

Here are pictures and the program.
The first picture is Claude, me and Papa. The second picture is sweet Lillian Rowland singing "Amazing Grace". Lillian shares a room with another lady across the hall and down one room from Papa. As I sit in Papa's room visiting him, Lillian will just start singing. She sings the old Baptist hymns from years ago. She has a lovely old southern country girl voice, soft but clear and very peaceful. I love hearing Lillian sing. She sang two songs and I recorded both for my own enjoyment. Another resident that also lives on the same hall as Papa read the poem on the back of the program. I loved having these residents help with this program. The flower was the centerpiece for our table. They gave it to me to take home after the program was over. I took a picture of Mimi and Papa's Hall of Fame plaques together on the wall. What a treasure. They gave Papa a copy and I will get it framed for his room. The last two picture are the front and back of the program. It was just a nice affair. I do believe Papa was touched by this honor. 

We made it home and I was aching again. I am better today but not quite right yet. Shoulders still are sore. I told Claude it just feels like my body is saying, "What have you done to me? Over the last three months or more you have medicated me for all kinds of things and this just may be enough of that kind of treatment." I would agree. For a girl who does not like taking medication, this is enough. I don't ever have to have another pneumonia shot. I will go back in a month and then in another 5 months for follow-ups to the Hep A&B. Then I will never have to take them again. This is my first time in my 68 years of having a flu shot. If I get the flu this winter, I may never take that shot again!!

Now, I must finish getting ready. We have company coming this weekend for a very quick visit that promises to be full of family!!

No comments:

Post a Comment